Linux EScribe Suite Beta Thread

I thought I'd take another run at an MX Linux install being it's Debian based with SP50us, it didn't fly and SP50int didn't either.

I checked all the prerequisites which were already installed, gave the .run file permission through properties and Gdebi-gtk said (Could not open 'SetupEscribe2_SP50_US.run') same with SP50_INT

Said something about the file could be corrupted or I don't have permission... I do have administrative permission and was signed in.  

As many years as I've used Linux (since Ubuntu 9.1) I should understand the Terminal prompts better than I do but I don't. Got script? 

I'm not the VM type and already have Escribe on this notebook in the Linux Mint 20.2 drive so it's no big deal, just doing a little testing with the possibility of convenience in not rebooting while I'm in MX Linux drive.

Edit:

I went looking for terminal prompts and finally got Escribe installed on MX Linux " MX-19.4_x64 patito feo" the information I found was on YouTube, try at your own risk!

Edited by Podunk Steam

• 1 month later...

@James

Thank you for the the updated (SP50) version.

I discovered a couple of bugs:
1. Broken menu options: Options->User Interface->Advanced/Researcher/Manufacturer
. Does not change the UI.
2. When uploading config with a conflict in a theme (eg. conditions must have the same size), the app just crashes while Windows version provides a dialog describing the conflict.

Other than that works like a charm.
Running on Ubuntu 22.04 (Mono
6.8.0.105+dfsg-3.2, GTKSharp 2.12.40-3ubuntu1, GTK 2.24.33-2ubuntu2)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How do I install this on an Acer Chromebook Spin 513 - CP513-1H-S60F? I am not a geek so I have no idea how to use Linux. I am desperate for a working version of EScribe on my Chrromebook since I no longer have access to a Windows computer locally that I can use USB ports from. Linux will have to do since a Chromebook version of EScribe is still not available. At least my Chromebook is Linux capable even if I am personally not. 😠

I downloaded the file, enabled Linux, and sucessfully installed (1) Mono, (2) Mono's certificate store, (3) GTK 2, and (4) GTK Sharp 2. I am in a directory named after the file but all I get is the text for the installer rather than it actually installing. I don't know how to navigate well in the Linux terminal. 

If anyone has the patience to deal with a total Linux ignoramous, I'd greatly appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, 

First of all, thank you for making this software available for Linux!

I recently lost the ability to use my work laptop for Escribe and am now forced to use my chromebook. (or the my partners macbook)

I`m a Linux noob (litterally day 1) but managed to get Escribe running on my chromebook! Super pleased with myself!

But, sadly my chromebook isent recognizing any of my DNA devices. At first i figured i had broken the port on my chip but none of my 3 DNA devices can be recognized for some reason... Anybody have any ideas?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Happy vaping!

Hi, 

I kindof figured Escribe would work seamlessly on mac, I was just hopefull on it working on my chromebook.

I think the issue is my chromebook is older, I sadly can get steam working on it but i can`t play the games...

Off to commandeer the wife`s macbook I guess.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

@Wayneo After some minor begging I was allowed to install escribe on her macbook. 😄

I mostly needed escribe because I received a few busted old mods that I took apart and managed to get a few DNA`s working.

Among those was an old DNA75C, but the screen was black and white.

Turns out someone had a DNA75C and put on a black and white theme.... 😂

Im still going to keep at it and figure out how to make escribe work on my chromebook, apparantly linux is putting my USB ports into a "sleep" mode.

I`ll get there eventually, just gotta keep at it, I think it`s possible...

Thanks for checking in 👍

Happy vaping!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately there has never been an official (non-beta) release of GTK# for GTK 3. We could hypothetically use the beta version. I've kept it at GTK 2 because it has seemed maximally compatible so far. What functionality is not working for you?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So the most recent release available (SP50) has an issue on Ubuntu 22.04 (mono version 6.12.0.200),

When I try to open an select anything in the options drop down in EScribe it locks up my entire GUI and I have to kill it in order to regain control.

It's failing with this repeated error:

(EScribe:829079): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 20:40:43.895: IA__gtk_widget_event: assertion 'WIDGET_REALIZED_FOR_EVENT (widget, event)' failed

This is the full output from the terminal if that helps resolve this issue:

Gtk-Message: 20:40:00.939: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Device list changed.
Current edition: INT
Found edition: US
Found edition: INT
Matched!
20:40:01.6344:   Benchmark: Tab Configuration: Welcome took 47.699 ms.

20:40:01.6547:   Benchmark: File->New took 10.7998 ms.

20:40:01.6561: Benchmark: Startup took 618.2869 ms.

20:40:01.7342: Benchmark: AutoConnect took 11.9864 ms.

(EScribe:829079): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 20:40:43.895: IA__gtk_widget_event: assertion 'WIDGET_REALIZED_FOR_EVENT (widget, event)' failed

Getting the something similar on Linux Mint (SetupEScribe2_SP50_US.run) about a missing dependency for gdk-sharp although I am not able to find this package on the nets:

DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=21.2
DISTRIB_CODENAME=victoria
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria"
NAME="Linux Mint"
VERSION="21.2 (Victoria)"
ID=linuxmint
ID_LIKE="ubuntu debian"
PRETTY_NAME="Linux Mint 21.2"
VERSION_ID="21.2"
HOME_URL="https://www.linuxmint.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://forums.linuxmint.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://linuxmint-troubleshooting-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/"
PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://www.linuxmint.com/"
VERSION_CODENAME=victoria
UBUNTU_CODENAME=jammy
cat: /etc/upstream-release: Is a directory

michael@Machine:~/Desktop$ uname -a
Linux Machine 5.15.0-89-generic #99-Ubuntu SMP Mon Oct 30 20:42:41 UTC 2023 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

michael@Machine:~/Desktop$ /home/michael/.local/opt/evolv/escribe-suite/launch-escribe-suite
08:26:45.0712: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'gdk-sharp, Version=2.12.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=35e10195dab3c99f' or one of its dependencies.
File name: 'gdk-sharp, Version=2.12.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=35e10195dab3c99f'
  at A.VCB.OB () [0x00027] in <02501018e92a42c1bc00a2481203f98d>:0 
  at A.MSU.OP () [0x00034] in <bcb6d587fc2648aea61a95388d1199af>:0 
  at A.MSU+<>c.VP () [0x00000] in <bcb6d587fc2648aea61a95388d1199af>:0 
  at A.MSU.NP (System.Boolean , System.String ) [0x0017b] in <bcb6d587fc2648aea61a95388d1199af>:0 

HRESULT: 0x80070002

Unhandled Exception:
System.PlatformNotSupportedException: Operation is not supported on this platform.
  at A.MSU.NP (System.Boolean , System.String ) [0x001b0] in <bcb6d587fc2648aea61a95388d1199af>:0 
  at A.ZP.ZP (System.String[] ) [0x00011] in <bad52511b36f4caea115464997ece0df>:0 
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.PlatformNotSupportedException: Operation is not supported on this platform.
  at A.MSU.NP (System.Boolean , System.String ) [0x001b0] in <bcb6d587fc2648aea61a95388d1199af>:0 
  at A.ZP.ZP (System.String[] ) [0x00011] in <bad52511b36f4caea115464997ece0df>:0 

• 2 weeks later...

My first post  and a note to thank all the participants here as well as the devs!!! Today bought my first DNA mod, Evolv DNA 250 Color. Read earlier about there being software to help with config, firmware&c.  I only run Linux, Manjaro, an Arch derivative. I took a shot and checked the Arch repos  and here is Escribe 2.0 SP50  in the repo.  Installed, plugged the mod in and everything works! Absolutely awesome, many thanks again to the devs for this great ware.In many years of vaping this is my first DNA  mod and my first experience with having tools to both see what goes on and configure----Wow!!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 1/17/2024 at 3:48 PM, ronnie.redd said:

First of all, THANK YOU 😊. Secondly, is there a 100c firmware. It's not listed in the updates menu.

For anyone who cares the fix to get the 100c to show up is to install the international version of escribe for Linux. Thank again for making the Linux version! It works on Debian 12. I haven't had ANY issues other than 100c not being listed. I just bought another dna100c device to help support evolve (on Linux :)

Welcome Ronnie. 🖐️ None of the moderators run Linux so when you wrote 'updates menu' that's not there for Windows or Mac systems. Those 2 words stopped me (and probably others) in my tracks.

New board firmware will/should only be in the International (INT) versions of the escribe suite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you for making this linux version available, it works perfectly on OpenSUSE Thumbleweed. Most of the instal problem can e solved by corectly instaling gtk-sharp or gtk-sharp2 on the linux system from my experience. Soemtimes the "mono .Net" package might be needed.

(Before, I had to use a windows VM on my linux for a long time simply to access escribe suite since the linux version don't run correctly or at all on RHEL 8/9 (I know kinda wierd to have RHEL as your workstation))

Just checking in with a minor scaling issue in the monitor display section of the latest internation Linux release.  Kind of a blast from the past as I've looked around a bit and didn't find an option for resolution, pun intended.

I'm using LMDE6 on this rig, the monitor is completely functional, just the scaling is off a little, likely because I use fractional scaling at 150%, old guys eyes.

No biggy really, just a heads-up.

Picture link https://ibb.co/0VDPZwQ

Edited by Podunk Steam
Not the only the eyes are going?