Linux EScribe Suite Beta Thread

The X470 may be worth researching as there have been issues with both Microsoft and Linux related USB ports acting janky.

This is one of numerous reports.

Hrrmmm...

So I do have a B550 Asus board along with a Ryzen 3600 that I was building out as a media player. I put Mint 20 on that as well so let me drop EScribe on that machine and see if I get a different result from both journalctl and the command line errors I described before. So let me test this on my media machine.

BTW - EScribe did work about 2 years ago where the unit would connect and then crash when I tried to update the theme or settings on the same X470 board.

Edited by AmadVaper

@Podunk Steam

OK. So I did some testing with my media center machine and the details of that machine are below:

OS - Linux mediactr 5.4.0-109-generic #123-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 8 09:10:54 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Linux Mint 20.3

groups:
myuser adm cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare

Machine Specs:

Asus B550 Motherboard
Ryzen 3600
500GB NVME SSD
1TB AData SSD
32GB Patriot Viper 3200 MHz Ram
Nvidia Gforce GT-610 Video
HP NC-364T Quad GB Nic (Mobo has only a 2.5GB nic that requires a driver to work)

I installed SetupEScribe2_SP31_US on the B550 machine and I immediately saw things I did not see on my main machine with the x470 board. First I was prompted during installation to install Mono and related dependencies. Not a big deal since I have Mono on the X470 from a previous install. But,  upon starting EScribe I was told that I did not have the necessary permissions to access the device. This was new! I choose yes to apply those permissions and was pretty hopeful that EScribe was going to work on this machine. 

When I connected the DNA250c and then selected connect and download, Escribe crashed upon near completion of downloading settings. Since it appeared that EScribe was connecting to the DNA250, I decided to apply the firmware update (1.1 SP45) which was successful. I then tried connecting and downloading settings but EScribe crashed upon near completion of downloading settings. The unit that was connected was sn JAFAXXXXXXX.

I then installed SetupEScribe2_2020-06-22_US_test.run over the previous installation, and then pushed the 1.1 SP45 to all of the units. I  connected one of the Thelma's via USB. I selected Connect and Download, and to my amazement Escribe did not crash but loaded up and allowed me to save the settings and theme. I tried this again with my other Thelma and one of the Paranormal units. All connected and did not crash EScribe. The only unit that crashes EScribe on the B550 is the Paranormal sn JAFAXXXXXXX.

As I did on the X470, I copied all of the logs and included them here as an attachment to try to keep the post reasonable in size.

So now here is my question... Where do I go from here with the Paranormal sn JAFAXXXXXXX ?

permissions.png

Errors.txt

Installed the new version (Ver. SetupEScribe2_2022-04-26_INT_test.run) on the B550 machine. Did see something new but the results are still the same in that it crashed trying to connect and download. I attached the terminal output.

Happy to report that this version also works on the X470 machine without crashing except for the Paranormal sn JAFAXXXXXXX

newVersion.txt

Edited by AmadVaper
update

Sweet. So I added a udev rule to force hidraw devices to be root:plugdev. Connected and downloaded without issue on the X470

I created 99-hidraw-permissions.rules under /etc/udev/rules.d with this line:

KERNEL=="hidraw*", SUBSYSTEM=="hidraw", MODE="0664", GROUP="plugdev"

Serial Number: JAFAxxxxxxxxx
Firmware Version: 1.1 SP46 INT
Firmware Date: 2021-12-28
Revision Code: 311104658

USB Vendor ID: 268B
USB Product ID: 0419
USB Product Version: 3.0

Edited by AmadVaper
update

12 minutes ago, James said:

What does it say if you send this command?

getfacl /dev/hidraw2

Is there a file 60-dimension_engineering.rules in /etc/udev.d ?

getfacl /dev/hidraw2
getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
# file: dev/hidraw2
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rw-
user:michael:rw-
group::---
mask::rw-
other::---

Sorry... forgot this

/etc/udev/rules.d$ ls
52-airspy.rules                       99-hidraw-permissions.rules
60-brother-mfp-brscan5-1.0.2-2.rules  99-md380.rules
60-dimension_engineering.rules        rtl-sdr.rules
60-vboxdrv.rules

So 60-dimension_engineering.rules are there

Edited by AmadVaper

By any chance is that system missing /usr/bin/pkexec?

(That and bash should be all that is needed for the 'grant permission' script, which doesn't appear to have copied the rules in your case.)

(Alternatively, are there any permissions set on the system which would prevent a file from the user's temp directory being copied to /etc/udev.d ?)

2 minutes ago, James said:

By any chance is that system missing /usr/bin/pkexec?

No. pkexec is there but I do remember having issues with pkexec where it would not run as some applications had pkexec in their run statement, but I could run the statement in the terminal just fine.

/usr/bin$ ls pkexec*
pkexec

pkexec --version
pkexec version 0.105

4 minutes ago, James said:

Interesting. How is your 99 rules different from the 60 rules, then?

60-dimension_engineering.rules

KERNEL=="hidraw*", SUBSYSTEM=="hidraw", ATTRS{idVendor}=="268b", MODE="0660", GROUP="plugdev", TAG+="uaccess", TAG+="udev-acl"
KERNEL=="ttyACM*", SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ATTRS{idVendor}=="268b", TAG+="uaccess", TAG+="udev-acl"

99-hidraw-permissions.rules

KERNEL=="hidraw*", SUBSYSTEM=="hidraw", MODE="0664", GROUP="plugdev"

I guess the only real difference is that my rule isn't tagging or adding the ttyACM rule.

28 minutes ago, James said:

ttyACM is for the device's serial port. Hmm. Mine also restricts it to USB Vendor ID 268b, and adds tags (used by some newer distributions).

How old is the OS on that one?

Do you get any udev errors when connecting it? https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/36251/in-which-log-should-i-check-for-udev-errors

Pretty sure I did a full wipe and OS install when I picked up the NVME last year. It's obviously not as new as the OS on the B550 which I believe is Mint 20.3

cat /etc/*-release
DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=20.1
DISTRIB_CODENAME=ulyssa
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa"
NAME="Linux Mint"
VERSION="20.1 (Ulyssa)"
ID=linuxmint
ID_LIKE=ubuntu
PRETTY_NAME="Linux Mint 20.1"
VERSION_ID="20.1"
HOME_URL="https://www.linuxmint.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://forums.linuxmint.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://linuxmint-troubleshooting-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/"
PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://www.linuxmint.com/"
VERSION_CODENAME=ulyssa
UBUNTU_CODENAME=focal
cat: /etc/upstream-release: Is a directory

Not sure what you mean about errors when connecting... do you mean usb or network? I did a grep of dmesg for you. I did see this in the syslog but that was added by their driver and not me.

systemd-udevd[619]: /etc/udev/rules.d/60-brother-mfp-brscan5-1.0.2-2.rules:17 Invalid key 'SYSFS'

dmesg | grep -i "udev"
[    7.627904] systemd[1]: Listening on udev Control Socket.
[    7.627930] systemd[1]: Listening on udev Kernel Socket.
[    7.635433] systemd[1]: Starting udev Coldplug all Devices...
[    7.678392] systemd[1]: Starting udev Kernel Device Manager...

2 hours ago, James said:

I'll have to give Mint 20 a try and see.

FWIW, this gives you more information while connecting:

udevadm control --log-priority=info

To switch it back:

udevadm control --log-priority=err

Got it. I will set this and see what the logs say after some time. Thank you @James for all your help the past few days!