Mac EScribe Suite Beta Thread

@James, I'm running Sierra as well.
But I got a suspicion: I don't know what I have set for "Minimize windows into application icon” in the dock-settings. So maybe it's related to that. I'm at work at the moment but can check this at evening (differten time zone here, Germany).

Edited by embe71

You can hide minimized windows—i.e. make them disappear from the dock on the right-hand side. Hit ⌘+Tab (holding ⌘) until eScribe app is highlighted, and then press 'H' (while still holding ⌘ down) to hide. You can do the same if eScribe app is the foreground app by simply pressing ⌘+H.  

I know. But because it's a menu-bar icon which invokes the stats-window it should disappear not minimize (as it does in the windows-version, too). Just as Adobes Creative Cloud Central for example.

Edited by embe71

On 7/27/2017 at 3:29 PM, James said:

Well, I finally got ECigStats ported over, so the Mac version is nearly feature-complete at this point.

We haven't run into nearly as many bugs as I thought we would, or at least, nobody has reported them yet. *knock on electronics* There are a few cosmetic issues that annoy me, and Serial Terminal is not fully functional, but so far, no show stoppers. :)

If I had to guess, I'd say about a week.

Anyway it can be clickable for the stats without actually having to open it up? Perhaps having it always running with the option to run at startup, just in the menu bar. There isn't much of a use for it in the dock. I think it should just be permanently on the menu bar, click it once and a drop down comes up with all the info, in nice OSX form

Well, I finally got ECigStats ported over, so the Mac version is nearly feature-complete at this point.

We haven't run into nearly as many bugs as I thought we would, or at least, nobody has reported them yet. *knock on electronics* There are a few cosmetic issues that annoy me, and Serial Terminal is not fully functional, but so far, no show stoppers. :)

Anyway it can be clickable for the stats without actually having to open it up? Perhaps having it always running with the option to run at startup, just in the menu bar. There isn't much of a use for it in the dock. I think it should just be permanently on the menu bar, click it once and a drop down comes up with all the info, in nice OSX form

Anyway it can be clickable for the stats without actually having to open it up? Perhaps having it always running with the option to run at startup, just in the menu bar. There isn't much of a use for it in the dock. I think it should just be permanently on the menu bar, click it once and a drop down comes up with all the info, in nice OSX form. Having the app in the dock is useless, although its nice to have the device monitor in the dock, skipping having to load up escribe. Icons need some work though and variation. 

@Noah B: Yes, the next version fixes it going into the Dock. It still has a dropdown menu presently, but at least when minimized it just goes away again. I may look at embedding more of the screen in the dropdown in the future, that's an interesting idea.

@znapr: Could you message me the theme? It's probably a bug.

I didn't find any major issue with the mac version in all these iterations, but there's something related to materials' csv handling that I'm not sure about:

I'm pretty sure in the windows version whatever material you imported from file or moved from a mod (i.e. transferred from the right "Materials on Device" to the left "Available Materials" listbox), was retained across restarts of Escribe.

That doesn't seem to be the case with the Mac version, where as soon as you restart it, the "Available Materials" listbox seems to reset to its defaults, and you have to navigate to the CSV file of any material that is not in that default list.

Just found this beta now! EPIC! Thanks for the effort. It could look a bit better and the theme editor could be more intuitive, especially for my 3 DNA's (250, 200/133, and 75 non-color), although it seems you're already on it. So far it does all I need it to and more, so I'm well over the moon with what we already have at this point (sure beats the pants off VM and an old laptop just to do the very occasional tinker). Can't wait for that last little bit of polish.

Oops well I assumed since it was working on my 250, it would be on my 75 and 200/133, well it's unfortunately not connecting to either. I'm sure you're already aware but I thought I'd flag it in case you weren't. System: OSX El Capitan 10.11.6 (15G1510); MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011); 2,4 GHz Intel Core i7.

On 7/6/2017 at 6:25 PM, James said:

Hello all,

For some time now, as time has permitted, I've been separating out and making platform-independent the Windows-specific portions of our EScribe code. About a month ago I finished this, and began porting EScribe to MacOS. Today, I believe the Mac port has few enough bugs to be usable.

Initially we are restricting the Mac beta to DNA 75 Color, since there are less in the wild and we want to limit the number of duplicate bug reports. If all goes well, we'll expand support to all DNAs in a week or so.

I expect this will have bugs. Please let me know what you run into. Also, I don't use Mac on a daily basis, so if there is anything that seems unnatural to you relative to ordinary Mac look-and-feel, please mention that as well.

https://downloads.evolvapor.com/SetupEScribe2_SP5_b9_US.pkg

https://downloads.evolvapor.com/SetupEScribe2_SP5_b9_INTL.pkg

Enjoy :)

James

Revision information:

b9 - Updated to SP5. This is the first version to also support ECigStats. Includes DNA 75 Color SP24, and extends the beta to support DNA 250.

b8 - Updated to SP4.2. Includes DNA 75 Color SP23.

b7 - Supports dragging files onto EScribe (.ecig), Device Monitor (.py), and Theme Designer (.ecigtheme). Includes revised DNA 75 Color SP22.

b6 - Supports OS X High Sierra. Includes revised DNA 75 Color SP22.

b2 - Supports OS X versions earlier than Sierra.

b1 - Initial test release.

Hi James, will this work for the HCIGAR VT75 COLOR 26650 DNA 75C BOX MOD on a Mac OS X Yosemite?

Thank you!

Dan

6 hours ago, ndb said:

I didn't find any major issue with the mac version in all these iterations, but there's something related to materials' csv handling that I'm not sure about:

I'm pretty sure in the windows version whatever material you imported from file or moved from a mod (i.e. transferred from the right "Materials on Device" to the left "Available Materials" listbox), was retained across restarts of Escribe.

That doesn't seem to be the case with the Mac version, where as soon as you restart it, the "Available Materials" listbox seems to reset to its defaults, and you have to navigate to the CSV file of any material that is not in that default list.

Same here.

8 hours ago, JBood said:

Si,

You're using it as is with a 75? I was under the impression it wasn't supported yet, and was waiting for the next release. How has your experience been with the 75? 

Yeah, in my excitement I didn't read the part that said, only 250 and 75c were supported. So when I posted that, I was under the incorrect assumption, it was working for 75 and 200/133. I know, RTFM 

Hi,

Just a question about the EScribe app. Im trying to install the beta version and I noticed in the installation process I can't change the destination folder. I'm currently in the office and We are not allowed to install other softwares BUT the only way I can bypass the password for installations is to change the destination folder. Example - installing the app directly to system applications requires the password but if I can change that to desktop or my other private folders it will work.

Maybe someone can help me so I could try this right now? 

Thanks

Edited by Kingofthenorth