Reading ohms too low

@James, the resistance is set on all but my 60. My daily drivers are both in the erm style modcrate cases and mod resistance is set at .032 on both as they both gave a .04 reading. On the 250 and 75c my triton coil reads .316 cold at 74f in watts but in tc the 75c shows .537. If I resample, it stays the same. If I switch back to watts profile from 316, and resample it goes back to .493-.537 w/o touching the tank. 

Headed to work, be back around noon central

2 hours ago, 67exec said:

and mod resistance is set at .032 on both as they both gave a .04 reading.

Are you sure, or perhaps missing an extra '0' in there for mod resistance. On ALL my mods in use (7), I think my highest for mod resistance is .007 checked 2 different ways.

I checked the tcr on my 75c and 250, Both have the same. Both are .0032 mod resistance. 75c shows room temp at 82f, 250 shows 81f. Put ammit with a .81ohm coil on the 250, shows .811ohms. Put it on 75c and fluctuates from .809 to .811ohms. Set the 75c to 55w preheat to 365f, and 30w power with 405f. Took a vape and weak as heck, took a few more pulls and no change. Put it on the 250 punch at 7 power 30w, temp 405f, took several pulls and perfection. Put back on 75c and ended up with temp set to 520f to get the same vape. Btw the fluctuating ohms must be just with my melo3

I'm pretty sure I should be replying here due to lack of knowledge but just to chime in with what I am seeing . I applied the SP24 and now it is reading the coil pretty much dead on  and it is not asking 'Old / New' if left idle for a while . But , I need an extra 100F to get a proper vape . 420F before SP 24 now I need 520F .

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Jonski:

I'm pretty sure I should be) replying here due to lack of knowledge but just to chime in with what I am seeing . I applied the SP24 and now it is reading the coil pretty much dead on  and it is not asking 'Old / New' if left idle for a while . But , I need an extra 100F to get a proper vape . 420F before SP 24 now I need 520F .

Same here. Either I have to up the temp or manually have to up the ohms (to a higher value than it actual is) to get the same vape as with my Therion 166 (using a Therion 75C). Reading cold ohms and stability is fine though.

Attached e-cig-file: Using Profiles 1-4 with SS316-Coils (Kayfun 5 and OBS Engine).

Michas Therion 75C.ecig

Edited by embe71

Reporting back after having a chance to better test SP24 on two different mods / atomizers.

MODS: Evolv reference 75C / Therion 75C

ATOMS: Kayfun 5 with a ~0.86 ohm SS316L / Serpent SMM with a ~0.68 clapton 26/36 SS316L (more on this later....)

My initial impressions remain confirmed: ohm reading seems on par with the other DNAs (200, 75). Swapping atomizers between mods gave consistent and repeatable results.

Also, I was finally able to perform cotton burn tests, which I couldn't do before SP24 as it seemed like the 75C was completely cutting off power with a dry coil, and this has given me the opportunity to get interesting results with the Serpent SMM (see below)

VAPE QUALITY:

Kayfun 5: it is now performing as I was used to, good vape at ~390F on both the ERM and Therion, no need to crank up the temperature. Just a tiny hint of pulsing (confirmed by device monitor) when chain vaping and hence forcing temperature control to engage more aggressively, don't know if this is still being investigated...

Serpent SMM: There's something here, but it turned out in this case it didn't depend on the mod nor on the atomizer itself... Despite cold ohm being read quite correctly as ~0.679 (0.68 / 0.682 on a DNA200 / 75), the vape was anemic and I had to crank the temperature up to ~510F. And this seemed particularly resonating with @Jonski post. The fact is that, at least in my case, it was performing poorly on the DNA200/75 too. Being able to do a cotton burn test, I found out that cotton actually singed at ~515F when using the SS316L profile from steam engine (which roughly corresponds to a 0,000828 TCR). Iterating on the cotton burn test, I found that a TCR ~0.00108 was giving cotton singing at 410F so I used that value and the Serpent started to work as expected.

Now, it's entirely possible that my clapton wire is actually not 316L, or it might be that for some reason the coil mass makes the nominal TCR unsuitable (although that doesn't really fit with my understanding of how temp control works) and of course I'm not saying that this is what's happening to everybody with a Serpent SMM, but there's a good chance that fancy wire with high thermal mass is being used in the Serpent SMM, and so I'd first make sure that everything is OK on the TCR side of things...

I also use SS316L Claptons exclusively (26/32 AWG) and can confirm that though the cold resistance is now read fine on my Therions (75C), the vape ist very weak and the temp control kicks in far too early.

But: On my Therion 166 (DNA 250) these coils work fine while on the Therion 75C they don't. Either using single coil (about 0,5 ohm) on an Kayfun 5 or double coil (about 0,25 ohm) on an OBS Engine. The wire is from Coilmaster so it's SS316L for sure...It doesn't make a difference if I use a steamenginge curve for SS316L or the built in material for SS316.

Edited by embe71

11 minutes ago, Sherif_Moris said:

Sorry for the newbie question, what is the exact internal mod resistance for the Therion 75C, is it 0.004 as default or should I change it? I couldn't run the escribe test correctly. Thanks 

Yes, I checked with a copper plug and it's pretty much spot on ~0.004.

• Like 1