All day battery?

Hi. Trying to find an all day battery for my needs. Right now I use a 120w raptor with 2 mnke 26650 3500 mah (thanks for the plans on ecig mamu) that last me all day running about 75 to 80 watts. Have a pic of it below (yea I know it's ugly) What i found confusing was reading in another thread here that mah isn't as critical for run time with the new chip. what battery spec would give me a similar experience? If anyone has a recommendation or could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated Thank you

1438049157137-779588585.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 3500 mAh batteries are 25.2 watt hours. 

For a similar run time, you'd want a 2200 mAh 3s pack. That is 24.42 watt hours, which should give you equivalent results. 

Or sit tight for a couple hours and we'll have a 2s compatible firmware up for testing here, then just use your same 2 26650 batteries in series. 

John said:

For a similar run time, you'd want a 2200 mAh 3s pack. That is 24.42 watt hours, which should give you equivalent results. 

Or sit tight for a couple hours and we'll have a 2s compatible firmware up for testing here, then just use your same 2 26650 batteries in series. 

So with the 2s firmware how would you charge or monitor the cells? I don't charge inbox anyways as I swap and charge batteries on rc lipo charger.  I would love to have the option to use a 2s battery even if it limits the power to a lower amount.  I wouldn't want to use anything but a lipo still though.

You connect the cell 3 tap and the cell 2 tap wires together, set the settings, and otherwise it runs just like normal. It limits to 133 watts, 6 volts max, but still does cell by cell monitoring and still does a balance charge. 

So John, It seems like if you could do 2 cells like that you could put the 3 wire tap connectors together and use a single cell, and limit it to something like 60watts right? A choice of 1,2,3 cells would be beyond flexible for modders. Just a thought.

John said:

Haha, OK that was quick!
Thanks man, didn't expect it to be implemented so soon (if at all)!

The difficult we do immediately. The impossible might take a few days. Seriously, though, it wasn't a huge change, because we already do everything on a per-cell basis anyway, and the board runs fine from 2s at reduced power. We're are just testing the update and making a battery curve for a representative 18650 and then it should be available to download.

Hmm, I never use any more than that amount of wattage. I set my preheat to 100-125 watts and wattage to 40-50 watts normally with RDA's and lower with RTA's. So basically this would give me more options in the amount of different lipo's I could use. Personally I don't need to use 18650's but maybe it's an option now with this update. But to fit 2 18650's with a battery tray makes the box bigger than with lipo's. Now if they are hardwired together than that's a different story but then you are stuck only charging them in the box which kinda takes away from the point of even using 18650's over lipo's. Plus I have been charging my lipo's externally and swapping between 2 on a rc lipo charger.  So for me I prefer the lipo's.

John said:

I'm running this maxamps.com 2000 mah 3S LiPo pack, and while it's less than the 25.2, it's got 22.2 watt hours, and a "lifetime" warranty. In one year they replace it for free if it dies, anytime after that they give you a replacement for 50% of its price.

http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.php?prod=Lipo-2000-111-Pack

It gets me through the day, but I plan to purchase another one for backups and so I can just swap and throw one on my external lipo charger.

Awesometimes5 said:

[QUOTE=Vape_Like_A_Boss][QUOTE=John]2 3500 mAh batteries are 25.2 watt hours. 

I'm running this maxamps.com 2000 mah 3S LiPo pack, and while it's less than the 25.2, it's got 22.2 watt hours, and a "lifetime" warranty. In one year they replace it for free if it dies, anytime after that they give you a replacement for 50% of its price.

It gets me through the day, but I plan to purchase another one for backups and so I can just swap and throw one on my external lipo charger.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE] What enclosure are you using that looks like it would fit in a 1590 b maybe a g I like it

Awesometimes5 said:

[QUOTE=Awesometimes5][QUOTE=Vape_Like_A_Boss][QUOTE=John]2 3500 mAh batteries are 25.2 watt hours. 

It gets me through the day, but I plan to purchase another one for backups and so I can just swap and throw one on my external lipo charger.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE] What enclosure are you using that looks like it would fit in a 1590 b maybe a g I like it[/QUOTE]

I'm using a 1590 b I'm pretty sure, it's a pretty good sized mod, not for people who want the tiniest possible device. But for me, it's just right. I measured the box to double check, and it looks like it's a 1590b although it's really late and I'm tired.

Oh one more thing, my mod is the Joe Litt model 44, and it's got a trim peace/spacer (3D Printed) on the battery door which adds a tiny bit more space.

When I get a chance I'll double check that's the right box, and give you more detailed battery space info with how mine is set up, I'll take pictures of it.

Vape_Like_A_Boss said:

[QUOTE=Awesometimes5][QUOTE=Awesometimes5][QUOTE=Vape_Like_A_Boss][QUOTE=John]2 3500 mAh batteries are 25.2 watt hours. 

It gets me through the day, but I plan to purchase another one for backups and so I can just swap and throw one on my external lipo charger.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE] What enclosure are you using that looks like it would fit in a 1590 b maybe a g I like it[/QUOTE]

I'm using a 1590 b I'm pretty sure, it's a pretty good sized mod, not for people who want the tiniest possible device. But for me, it's just right. I measured the box to double check, and it looks like it's a 1590b although it's really late and I'm tired.

Oh one more thing, my mod is the Joe Litt model 44, and it's got a trim peace/spacer (3D Printed) on the battery door which adds a tiny bit more space.

When I get a chance I'll double check that's the right box, and give you more detailed battery space info with how mine is set up, I'll take pictures of it.

[/QUOTE] Joe Litt spacer I'm gonna look in to that. I'd like to see your pictures when you can get Em up. It sounds like a nice setup

turbocad6 said:

[QUOTE=John]Sure, you could do that. Just make sure the batteries can supply 25 amps. 

if we're using 33% less power wouldn't the amp draw also be reduced a similar amount?[/QUOTE]

Amp draw actually goes up with 2S vs 3S for the same wattage. A=W/V

John said:

Sure, you could do that. Just make sure the batteries can supply 25 amps. 

I don't have a DNA200 yet but is it possible for the user to set max amp draw? I've been proposing this to a few manufacturers in the past but they weren't interested. I think ir would be a nice feature to protect you from accidentally going over your battery's rated max current draw.

That's different. Low Ohm setups draw more current than high Ohm setups at the same wattage. When being able to set max current draw you can set an amperage which you feel is safe for the batteries you're using and don't have to pay attention to your ohm/wattage combination. Can be quite useful when using batteries with a lower than the recommended current draw rating.