Temp difference

Hello,

I have two DNA devices.

1) Vaporshark rDNA 40
2) HCigar Vt200

I bought the DNA 200 in hopes to get a full day of vaping between charges and maybe experiment with the Smok TFV4.

So here is my dilema.

I currently have an Atlantis Triton and I am using Nickel coils.  .15 Ohm.  On my Vaporshark I run it at 470 degrees and 40 watts.  I NEVER hit the temp warning at this setting and get tons of vapor and flavor.

I swapped my atty to the DNA200 device.  At 500 degrees and 40 watts I constantly hit the TP warning and have significantly less vapor production. 

I turned off preheat (changed it to 1w and 0 seconds for preheat) and while it has improved vapor production it is still less than the DNA40. 

Tried turning preheat to 50W with a soft hit and 1 second duration.  No change.

I am thinking it is the CSV file for nickel causing the issue (misreading temperature) as I have also adjusted the battery settings.  (It was set at default 9 w/hour instead of the 14 w/h due to the 1300 MAH battery) which improved battery life but did nothing for vaping experience. 

Is there an updated CSV file for nickel coils?  Is this just a calibration setting?

I am on the latest prerelease firmware and escribe from 10-21-2015 and firmware from 9/30  and honestly even the public releases had the same results. 

Yes the Ohms read the same on both.  0.17 ohms when connected to the device.

How I tested is last night I vaped my Vaporshark.  refilled the juice and tasted.  Went to bed, woke up removed the Atty from the VS and put it on the VT200.  Vaped and noticed the difference.

Tested this several times with the same results each time.

Much less production on the VT200 than the VS even with the VT200 set 30 degrees higher in max temp.

What value do you have under "mod resistance".  This is likely the issue in that your DNA40 device sees the measured resistance as "all coil" and your 200 device sees it as coil plus mod.

Also, the 510 on the 200 device could be introducing resistance variations as it heats, making the DNA200 think that it has gotten hotter than it has (if the 510 is poor, and resistance increased with heat, the chip will think that the coil is at the temperature specified by the total resistance change value, when in fact some of that is not happening in the coil).  This is an issue not just for the DNA200, but any TC based product.  A poor 510 will cause poor TC performance.

I thought that the resistance of the 510 (and of the mod and all the other metal between the coil and the measuring points) is put out of play by the DNA board storing the 'cold' ref resistance. Only the TCR of the metal paths (from the coil down to the measurement points) will introduce an error. So if this is the case, the difference should be small at the first vape and increasingly get worse (<- English?) as the 510 and metal in the paths, heat up.
Or do I make a mistake in my thinking (I know a bad 510 also introduces errors due to varying contact pressure but leave that out for now)?

ok. 

To answer the questions,

I received the DNA200 device on Monday so I have only had it 3 days; however, this issue was IMMEDIATELY apparent.

In checking the escribe software, I see the mod resistance set to 0 and the OHM lock range set at 25%.

I do not have the resistance locked as I didnt like that feature even on my DNA 40. 

I have performed the atomizer analyzer and it shows a cold resistance of 0.16 and stable connection even when screwing and unscrewing the atty partially.  

Thank you all for your help. 

Run Mod Analyzer and compare the results with those currently set.  You may find that the current settings are just the Evolv default settings and not the setting that the device maker should have provided for their device.  I think Hcigar configured the battery but not the mod.

Bobby said:

I thought that the resistance of the 510 (and of the mod and all the other metal between the coil and the measuring points) is put out of play by the DNA board storing the 'cold' ref resistance. Only the TCR of the metal paths (from the coil down to the measurement points) will introduce an error. So if this is the case, the difference should be small at the first vape and increasingly get worse (<- English?) as the 510 and metal in the paths, heat up.
Or do I make a mistake in my thinking (I know a bad 510 also introduces errors due to varying contact pressure but leave that out for now)?

This is another thing I am experiencing.  As I vape, the longer I vape the less production as well.

I am guessing there may be some issue with the 510 connection.  I have a call into the place I purchased it at to see what they recommend.

rbeamj said:

Hello,

I have two DNA devices.

1) Vaporshark rDNA 40
2) HCigar Vt200

I bought the DNA 200 in hopes to get a full day of vaping between charges and maybe experiment with the Smok TFV4.

So here is my dilema.

I currently have an Atlantis Triton and I am using Nickel coils.  .15 Ohm.  On my Vaporshark I run it at 470 degrees and 40 watts.  I NEVER hit the temp warning at this setting and get tons of vapor and flavor.

I swapped my atty to the DNA200 device.  At 500 degrees and 40 watts I constantly hit the TP warning and have significantly less vapor production. 

I turned off preheat (changed it to 1w and 0 seconds for preheat) and while it has improved vapor production it is still less than the DNA40. 

Tried turning preheat to 50W with a soft hit and 1 second duration.  No change.

I am thinking it is the CSV file for nickel causing the issue (misreading temperature) as I have also adjusted the battery settings.  (It was set at default 9 w/hour instead of the 14 w/h due to the 1300 MAH battery) which improved battery life but did nothing for vaping experience. 

Is there an updated CSV file for nickel coils?  Is this just a calibration setting?

I am on the latest prerelease firmware and escribe from 10-21-2015 and firmware from 9/30  and honestly even the public releases had the same results. 

The dna 200 is more accurate than the dna 40 is .... what you are seeing is normal

ok. 

So I have been doing some additional testing as the vendor I purchased this from is not answering me.

With ultra-low ohm, Nickel coils (premade from Aspire directly and advertised as 0.15) the vape is not as consistent as with my DNA 40 device.  Actually, running the same settings on the VT200 results in very little vapor production. (40 watts @ 470 degrees).  To get similar results on the VT200, I have to run 530 degrees and 30 watts.  As the atomizer heats up (I chain vape) the vapor production gets less and less on the VT200.

I got an .ecig file from someone on here, with a VT200, that included settings for 316L.  Using the 316L in TC mode, I get constant vape production even when chain vaping.  Those settings are 450 degrees @ 50 Watts.  Even when the atty heats up the vape production is constant!   I actually had to drop the temp to 420 degrees as I do not like it that warm. This is on 0.3 ohm coils directly from Aspire.

So it appears my mod has an issue with the ultra-low ohm coils..

I have the Mod Resistance set to 0 for both tests as I do not have the means to test the Mod resistance.  Inputting settings from other VT200's (Mod resistance at 0.0045 or 0.01) resulted in much poorer performance from the NI200 coils.

Maybe one of the DNA peeps can chime in here and help out.

rbeamj said:

ok. 

So I have been doing some additional testing as the vendor I purchased this from is not answering me.

With ultra-low ohm, Nickel coils (premade from Aspire directly and advertised as 0.15) the vape is not as consistent as with my DNA 40 device.  Actually, running the same settings on the VT200 results in very little vapor production. (40 watts @ 470 degrees).  To get similar results on the VT200, I have to run 530 degrees and 30 watts.  As the atomizer heats up (I chain vape) the vapor production gets less and less on the VT200.

I got an .ecig file from someone on here, with a VT200, that included settings for 316L.  Using the 316L in TC mode, I get constant vape production even when chain vaping.  Those settings are 450 degrees @ 50 Watts.  Even when the atty heats up the vape production is constant!   I actually had to drop the temp to 420 degrees as I do not like it that warm. This is on 0.3 ohm coils directly from Aspire.

I have the Mod Resistance set to 0 for both tests as I do not have the means to test the Mod resistance.  Inputting settings from other VT200's (Mod resistance at 0.0045 or 0.01) resulted in much poorer performance from the NI200 coils.

I run the 0.15 ohm nickel Aspire coils at 24 watts, 400F, 100 watts preheat and all is well. 

Can you post a screen shot of Device Monitor showing Pack, Power, Power Set, Temperature, and Temperature Set showing 4 or 5 consecutive vapes so we can see what it is doing.

Snap[ of what I get:

Capture.png

rbeamj said:

ok. 

That settings (ecig) file was from me. And the 316L wire profile is for stainless steel, not Nickel. So you should not use that one with nickel coils, it will be way off. Actually all the wire profiles preprogrammed in that file is exclusively for Sweetspot Vapors wires, and should not be used without those particular wires. Its better you use steamengines wire wizard for generating csv-files for each of your non-nickel wires. All the other settings in the ecig-file is valid though. However I changed the mod resistance from 0.01 to 0.0045.

Ok an update.

My new Atom coils came in.  I primed the coil per the instructions (very important apparently) and went vaping away.  Vape production was spot on at 30 Watts, 450 degrees and zero preheat. 

The coil was reading .15 at this time.  I went to bed and charged my VT200 over night.  When waking the next morning the resistance read .12 ohms.  (refinement I am guessing) and to get the same performance I have had to up the temp to 480 degrees and the wattage to 35.  After 24 hours it has been consistent at these settings.

To further this, when I changed coils, I made sure I had not been using the atty for 30 minutes to ensure it was at room temperature.

I am guessing I had a bad coil previously as even at 530 degrees and 40 watts I did not get the performance out of it on the VT200 as compared to the DNA40 running 470 degrees and 40 watts.

I see a lot of people running 25 watts, 400 degrees and 100 watt preheat.  I just cannot get the device to perform at those settings as the vapor production is very weak.