LiPo Charging Issue Found!

DrippYLippY

Hopefully someone can help me figure out what iam doing wrong, But my LiPo in the Hana V200 Production Version is taking forever to charge and drain's super fast. I pluged it in to eScribe and its only Charging the LiPo Pack at .5 Amps and i thought that this version is suppose to have 1 Amp Charging thats advertised on its website. I cant find anywhere on my computer to change the charging current on the USB. Does anyone know how to do this? Also does anyone know what i could buy that would allow me to charge faster thru the USB? My last question is there anything in EScribe that will allow you to get better battery life without having to run in Stealth Mode? Iam only running at 80 Watts and 420F and i only get about 3 1/2 to 4 hours on a full charge.

IIRC it is due to the data lines on the DNA remaining active that PCs will only supply 0.5 A, either use a charge only cable or a USB PSU to get the full amp, I have USB current as one of the fields on the DNA charging screen so I can easily ensure that I have a decent cable and supply where ever I am.

In device monitor, I believe is where it is. Make sure the charge current is set to 1 amp.

If it's set to 1 amp already, you may need to get a different charging device, lot of chargers and a lot of computers output .5 amps, so it could just be that you need to find another plug. Once it's charging correctly, it will work incredibly well, like set at 1 amp it will show it's charging at .98 .99 something like that.

If you haven't upgraded the firmware yet, it's possible that's where your battery life is going, but it should be much better, at least in Kanthal mode. I haven't run temp control all the way down and paid attention, because I usually charge my battery way before that, but I have with Kanthal at 80 watts. I have a 2000 mah LiPo which is 22.2 watt/hrs and it's giving me nearly two days at 80 watts and .16 dual claptons. And if I'm chain vaping a lot and dry burning or building coils and firing high, it's still well into my second day.

In device monitor you can change the setting from maximize battery life to maximize puffs, which allows you to charge the LiPo pack all the way, the maximize battery life option means lifespan of the battery over time, and it charges the pack to a lower voltage as "full" in order to reduce stress on the battery.

Also make sure your watt/hours next to that same option is also put into the box. There's a calculator for you to input a few fields and it will give you the watt/hours, or you can do a battery analyzer test to truly get exactly your battery's watt/hours.

I don't know that Hana's mods have an easily accessible, pluggable LiPo battery, but if they do, you could run a LiPo charger, and charge your battery from empty to full in like ~ 15 or 20 minutes in a pinch. I know that's not something you're looking for now, but in the future it might be something to consider or an option to check for when you get another mod down the road.

For what it's worth, I've never had to run in stealth mode or anything to get a day and a half or 2 days off of my battery in Kanthal mode. I know that's not specific to temp control and you're a temp control user, but I can only share my personal experience.

Let me know if I missed any questions or you need more help with the stuff I told you to check.

DrippYLippY said:

i dont understand how to see the charge screen? I have it setup but everytime i plug into usb regardless if its PC or Wall Unit it still has the same screen.... Do you have to enable the charge screen somehow with the buttons???? I the only thing i get is the battery meter showing it charge

The brightness is probably set to 0 in Escribe, it takes about 30 secs after plugging in before it displays.

Vape_Like_A_Boss said:

In device monitor, I believe is where it is. Make sure the charge current is set to 1 amp.

If it's set to 1 amp already, you may need to get a different charging device, lot of chargers and a lot of computers output .5 amps, so it could just be that you need to find another plug. Once it's charging correctly, it will work incredibly well, like set at 1 amp it will show it's charging at .98 .99 something like that.

If you haven't upgraded the firmware yet, it's possible that's where your battery life is going, but it should be much better, at least in Kanthal mode. I haven't run temp control all the way down and paid attention, because I usually charge my battery way before that, but I have with Kanthal at 80 watts. I have a 2000 mah LiPo which is 22.2 watt/hrs and it's giving me nearly two days at 80 watts and .16 dual claptons. And if I'm chain vaping a lot and dry burning or building coils and firing high, it's still well into my second day.

In device monitor you can change the setting from maximize battery life to maximize puffs, which allows you to charge the LiPo pack all the way, the maximize battery life option means lifespan of the battery over time, and it charges the pack to a lower voltage as "full" in order to reduce stress on the battery.

Also make sure your watt/hours next to that same option is also put into the box. There's a calculator for you to input a few fields and it will give you the watt/hours, or you can do a battery analyzer test to truly get exactly your battery's watt/hours.

I don't know that Hana's mods have an easily accessible, pluggable LiPo battery, but if they do, you could run a LiPo charger, and charge your battery from empty to full in like ~ 15 or 20 minutes in a pinch. I know that's not something you're looking for now, but in the future it might be something to consider or an option to check for when you get another mod down the road.

For what it's worth, I've never had to run in stealth mode or anything to get a day and a half or 2 days off of my battery in Kanthal mode. I know that's not specific to temp control and you're a temp control user, but I can only share my personal experience.

Let me know if I missed any questions or you need more help with the stuff I told you to check.

Yeah the Hana V200 is only 10.5 Watt/Hours its a 950mah 3 Cell 30c Lipo, so its alot smaller then your 2000mah LiPo, If your getting over 2 days then i should be getting atleast a work day which would be 8 Hours but iam not. I do know that Temp Control drains the cells alot faster then Kanthal mode, 80 watts in temp control is prolly like 150 in Kanthal, but i still feel like i should be getting better life out of this LiPo. I did change it to max Puffs which should help and its now charging at 1amp which should also help. In the very near future iam just going to get a spare LiPo and a LiPo charger so i can just swap like what you do with 18650's but i think once i get this LiPo dialed in correctly i should be able to get 8-9 Hours out of 10.5 Watt/Hours

DrippYLippY said:

Yup beard you were right... The brightness of the charge screen was set to 0% in Escribe. Now its charging at 1amp with a 2.4amp wall charger but its still only charging at .5 amps from the computer. Do you know of a way to change the USB Current on the Computer to 1amp?

If it's a desktop, sometimes they will have some USB charge ports at higher current on certain USB ports but not all of them, so try both the front and back of the computer, if that's possible. If it's a laptop with ports in 2 places, try them. My laptop was "high end" a couple years ago, still specs awesome, but only charges at .5 amps on all the USB built in boards.

You can get a USB hub, like a 4 port or 7 port USB hub, with external power. It will connect to USB and also have a power adapter that plugs into a regular 110 outlet (If you're in the USA, wall outlet otherwise lol) in the wall or surge protector.

If your computer has a custom motherboard like an Asus or Gigabyte, the motherboard software may have something like "EZ Charge" or "Rapid Charge" and you can enable it there, for most computers though it's just try another port or get a powered USB hub, or USB PCI add on cards may provide the current needed.

Here's an example of the powered hub, I haven't used this brand, but have used Belkin and another one I can't remember the brand
http://www.amazon.com/Protronix-Port-USB-Power-Adapter/dp/B00REX6DRK/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1441308084&sr=1-3&keywords=powered+USB+hub

I think your estimation of around 8 to 9 hours is pretty spot on, and a spare battery and LiPo charger is definitely my preferred method. But I've been using LiPo's a long time and understand people fearing them who haven't used them.

Boss your right. The Blue USB 2.0 Ports Charge at 1amp while the Yellow USB 1.0 Ports only charge at .5 amp and the Black USB on my Video Card is able to Charge at 2.4 Amps which is great if I ever get a Vapor Shark 2amp Zip Charging DNA 200... Iam not scared of LiPo's at all, I love these things, just which the Hana came with a bigger pack... 1800mah 3 Cells would last me a full 24 Hours in Temp Control at 80 to 100 Watts

VapingBad said:

I think that that is the USB chip/driver on the PC and not the DNA that limits the current when data handshake is present.

Logic would imply that it has to be the supply end making the call as well.  Though I would only think of charging a mod from a computer in a worst case scenario.  I have had three USB charge issues over the years and a cable and or wall brick is a cheap replacement.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
DRTMI said:

A USB port on computers is limited to 500mAh due to the wiring and power supply in the computer.

I believe some computers just worry about the total current draw. Like most of my USB ports are more than happy to supply more than 500ma. I have one TV tuner that draws 900ma. And it works with most of my machines without the extra second USB plug.