Evolv reference case

ChunkyButt200 said:

[QUOTE=VapingBad]I just got 3 of the Mod Crate boxes and am very impressed with the quality everything fits very well, you do need to sand the back of the buttons a little and the board mount holes are not tapped both of which are no problem at all.  They come with hex socket screws for the case and torx 5 screws for the boards (1 set was black so I will uses ss ones I had already).  I will post some more details and pics in a few days, just a heads up they did a great job.

hey VB, how long from ordering to shipping notification?[/QUOTE]
6th to the 10th, but the 6th was the release date so would have been in a queue.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't advise anyone to do what I did and use the screws to cut the board mount thread, I sheared a stainless steel screw in the aluminium housing and have made on of my enclosures scrap metal.  I tapped M1.6 threads in the 3rd with an HSS tap, I should have done that from the get go.

VapingBad said:

I wouldn't advise anyone to do what I did and use the screws to cut the board mount thread, I sheared a stainless steel screw in the aluminium housing and have made on of my enclosures scrap metal.  I tapped M1.6 threads in the 3rd with an HSS tap, I should have done that from the get go.

can you drill out the broken half of the screw from threading, then re-tap?

ChunkyButt200 said:

[QUOTE=VapingBad]I wouldn't advise anyone to do what I did and use the screws to cut the board mount thread, I sheared a stainless steel screw in the aluminium housing and have made on of my enclosures scrap metal.  I tapped M1.6 threads in the 3rd with an HSS tap, I should have done that from the get go.

can you drill out the broken half of the screw from threading, then re-tap?[/QUOTE]
I would need about 1.2 mm drill to be able to use a M1.6 tap after, I only have a Dremel pillar drill and the because the screw is a lot harder than the body and 1.6 mm drill bend easily I don't think I could do it. And there is not enough screw showing to grip.

VapingBad said:

[QUOTE=ChunkyButt200][QUOTE=VapingBad]I wouldn't advise anyone to do what I did and use the screws to cut the board mount thread, I sheared a stainless steel screw in the aluminium housing and have made on of my enclosures scrap metal.  I tapped M1.6 threads in the 3rd with an HSS tap, I should have done that from the get go.

can you drill out the broken half of the screw from threading, then re-tap?[/QUOTE]
I would need about 1.2 mm drill to be able to use a M1.6 tap after, I only have a Dremel pillar drill and the because the screw is a lot harder than the body and 1.6 mm drill bend easily I don't think I could do it. And there is not enough screw showing to grip.[/QUOTE]that sucks.........maybe modcrate will take pity on you?

Put mine together today. I swapped over the board from a 3d printed reference case so the screen was already mounted and secured in the proper place. I went from a vt 510 to the evolv 510. The buttons didn't require any adjustments and fit without rattling, NICE! The only massaging required was on the sidewalls, which were about 0.5 mm too thick on both sides, to allow the board to sit down on the mounts. After that everything went smoothly. The overall fit and finish is awesome and I am very pleased. Thanks ModCrate!
Here is a pic of the finished product (along side some other evolv-powered mods):

gratefulbuddy said:

Put mine together today. I swapped over the board from a 3d printed reference case so the screen was already mounted and secured in the proper place. I went from a vt 510 to the evolv 510. The buttons didn't require any adjustments and fit without rattling, NICE! The only massaging required was on the sidewalls, which were about 0.5 mm too thick on both sides, to allow the board to sit down on the mounts. After that everything went smoothly. The overall fit and finish is awesome and I am very pleased. Thanks ModCrate!
Here is a pic of the finished product (along side some other evolv-powered mods):

Looking good, but you should be able to get the 510 flush with the top, I had to just tap one of my cases a bit more, probably could have used more torque but I had the right tap handy.  Remember to disconnect the wire before turning the 510, removing the centre pin is easiest.

20160117_161742_-_Copy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
VapingBad said:

[QUOTE=ChunkyButt200][QUOTE=VapingBad]I wouldn't advise anyone to do what I did and use the screws to cut the board mount thread, I sheared a stainless steel screw in the aluminium housing and have made on of my enclosures scrap metal.  I tapped M1.6 threads in the 3rd with an HSS tap, I should have done that from the get go.

I would need about 1.2 mm drill to be able to use a M1.6 tap after, I only have a Dremel pillar drill and the because the screw is a lot harder than the body and 1.6 mm drill bend easily I don't think I could do it. And there is not enough screw showing to grip.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you can dissolve the broken screw out: https://youtu.be/fqZYgReuywM

Warning, crude language... :)

Russ ModCrate said:

Hey everyone we have started responding to feedback and making adjustments accordingly. The board mounts will be deeper, we went with a custom 510 similar in design, made a larger version for a 1300 mah battery and, of course anodizing.

A few questions:

With the board mounts deeper did you have to make the case wider?
(I has no problem with the first batch after grinding a lot off the back of the buttons and think raising the mounts will change the fit of the USB socket)

Is the 510 the same fitting as the Evolv one?

In the pictures of the anodised ones the 510 thread is anodised, can you confirm that this and the board mount threads come not anodised so we can use the chassis as common ground?
(With the first batch I had a really low internal resistance with common ground 0.003 ohm)

Will the board mount holes be tapped?

There are differences in control panel bevels and raised bevels around the buttons, which will be in the final production unit?

It is a different fitting that the evolv 510. The pictures were just color samples the threading will be done after anodizing on all the holes. The pictures were just color samples the threading will be done after anodizing on all the holes. We haven't decided on the bevels yet still playing around with different shapes. We will still not be tapping the board mount holes we will still not be tapping the board mount holes but we will continue to provide self tapping screws .

Russ ModCrate said:

It is a different fitting that the evolv 510. The pictures were just color samples the threading will be done after anodizing on all the holes. The pictures were just color samples the threading will be done after anodizing on all the holes. We haven't decided on the bevels yet still playing around with different shapes. We will still not be tapping the board mount holes we will still not be tapping the board mount holes but we will continue to provide self tapping screws .

Thanks Russ

VapingBad said:

Thanks that would have been perfect, but I drilled it out and all good now.

I managed to break off one of the screws in mine last night, so trying the alum trick now. Also found a 0-80 tap locally, so hope not to repeat this on any of the other screws.

I talked to Russ about the silo-1300, ifs that's what he's calling them, and it should be in a couple of weeks when there out, I didn't ask about the specs all I know is I'm buying one when it comes out