VT133 issue

jtdien

hey guys, i got a VT133 that isn't firing or staying on.
Whenever i hit the fire button, it turns on but the moment i let go, it turns off.

Batteries are full and i checked the board for any blown resistors or fuses and it seems to be all checked out.
When plugged in, the battery indicator shows empty and no lightning bolt. no charging.
I've already tried all versions of firmwares, battery is set to 2S 12.2whr(LG HG2)
Device monitor shows Cell 1 5.65V, Cell 2 1.26V pack 5.25V

I already tried contacting evolv but no response to my ticket for the past 5 days...

any suggestions?

Video of issue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbNbS0Q5iGU

thanks

If you emailed them beffor you got your ticket, (that is the usual protocol because each one has a refrence number), dont know how you say no responce to your ticket, you dont get one till youve spoken to them,,, you email evolv with your problem, if it cant be advised and repaired by email, and they also know common issues, they email you a ticket with a refrence number, you print it off and fill it in, then put that in the package with your recipt and send it to them if your told to.. i would email them again and they should be able to trak it like that, and advise, i dont think you just send in blind tickets. i had a tripple cell do simillar, no battery indicating atall, i think the board had to be replaced. have you been turned down by the people you bought it off?

jtdien said:

hey guys, i got a VT133 that isn't firing or staying on.
Whenever i hit the fire button, it turns on but the moment i let go, it turns off.

You started two identical threads, I guess I'll post in this one. I too have one of these (and another one coming in vapemail today). But those are weird cell readings. The VT133 also has a reverse polarity PCB too, which most DNA200 mods doesn't have. I don't know what is all on that PCB, I am guessing a FET. What Device Monitor says my cells are; 1 = 4.10v, 2 = 4.10v, and 3 = 0.63 to 1.02v. If there is anything else you want me to check just ask.

Got my second VT133 in the vapemail and it reads the same except cell #3 reads 0.01v all of the time. That is what I would expect my other one to read too. Also this one has a much higher serial number and the inside cover is painted inside (but it is also a solid black VT133).

It would be helpful if the op gave moor information, eg, ive had it since i joined in november, it was working fine but now it aint, and it says the batteries knackered.. Or eg, i got this off a mate, i dont think it will take much to get it running, has anyone local got a battery i can try beffor i condem it.. (If he didnt have escribe to look at, he would try anouther battery without question) (its the most logical thing to do)

Guess here's a  bit more info:

- I had this working fine for 2-3 months then it just stopped working one day. Never been dropped not exposed to water
- I've tried numerous batteries, they're all the same results.
- Verified if the fuse was blown, its not. Read somewhere on this forum to jump the B+ and skip the fuse, still nothing.
- used a multimeter to verify all pins from the reverse battery protection has good paths to the DNA200 board.
- verified there is 7.4V going into the DNA200 board
- checked the entire DNA200 board to see if there is any other burnt resistors, nothing wrong that I can see with a flashlight and magnifying glass.

As for the support, I went to http://www.evolvapor.com/index.php, Send message and it brought me to http://helpdesk.evolvapor.com/index.php?a=add to create a ticket. I dont see any other way to contact Evolv.

Attached are pics of escribe.
Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

2.jpg

Oh that shows cell#1 as 0v, cell#2 as 5.26v, cell#3 as 1.26v. Something seems wrong on the balance connections. Pin 1 should go to the positive of cell 1 and pin 2 should go to the positive of cell 2 (plus pin 3 and B+ should go there too). The VT133 might be wired non-standard because of the reverse protection.

Your watt hours is set on 22.2Wh. That sounds way high. I would think it should be around 14 to 18 range. This only controls the battery meter accuracy and not part of the problem.

Yes, I can see it is labeled as GND, 1, 2, 3. Pin 1 should go to the positive of cell 1 and 2 plus 3 should go to the positive of cell 2. You can ohm it to see if it does. Something looks funny from here on the reverse protection traces. Could be nothing, hard to tell.

Its allways the tinkering that can cause other problems. How brave are you to disconnect the screen ,lol, Because you have prety much exauhsted around the battery and found no issue, i would look at your screen ribbon for cracks or even a craked screen or tight fold at edge of glass, and the reason you have an incorrect battery simbol, and then switches off is because your screen is shorting, and some pixels simply arnt being filled, eg lightning strike through battery.. a dna200 will work without a screen connected, you have to set up your settings in escribe, Not sure if putting it in stealth mode will have the same effect, eg, trying to stop power going in and shorting it... i would put my money on that.. connect to escribe, put it in stealth mode, and have a bash...its just going to be the five clicks locked unlocked might booger things up, with power to screen. all the best..

Possible but I wouldnt put me money on it because it was working fine, and thoes pins are from one side to the other, may very well be an aditional problem now its been desterbed, Shouldnt the mod fire if thoes four connections are cliped, thing is for where that is it would burn up regardless of the fireing switch, if shorting. Ive got my money on the screen shorting out, because i broke one on a build and saw a simular apearing issue with the battery indicator, but i knew what it was because it was on the bench infront of me and i heard it crack when i put a mini clamp on it to glue it to the inside of a mod,,

VapingBad said:

This looks like a dry solder joint to me and fits the symptoms.

Yup it sure does VapingBad. Say jtdien, here is something easy to try. While connected to EScribe, go to the Mod tab and change the battery type to Power Supply. It warns you don't select for batteries and blah-blah. Then upload to device.

Now the DNA200 could careless what the individual cell voltages are. It also won't charge the cells when connected to the USB port either. But we don't care about all this, it should now work (if it is what it looks like). I tried it here and both of my VT133 the two batteries are over 4v and it works fine. That means the DNA200 is only getting 8v and both of mine are working selecting the power supply. I wouldn't fire any coil over 10 watts or so, because that is all I tested mine up to.

Bill - yes changing it to Power Supply actually worked! Unit is staying on and firing fine. Battery indicator isn't working but its working. At least i can use it now while waiting for Evolv support to get back to me.

Vaping Bad - Just opened it up and looked fine. i verfied with multimeter from the reverse protection board to the chip and its a clear path.

Thanks everyone for the help.