Custom Mod DNA133 2x 18650 Doesnt Charge via USB Port

rsrider

It will probably not ever reach 1 A off a PC most of them restrict the current to 500 mA and your battery should be below 4 V.  I see yours were < 4 V and current was 0 so it not those.  I tend to turn this test off on the Production until as I only occasional make a mod to sell and always test it vaping for a while.   Does it charge normally from a USB supply?

Are you sure it has to do with a data path? My XTAR VC4 battery chargers for example, also limits the current draw depending on what you plug the USB into (doesn't use the data connection). There are tons of devices that all work similar. And from observation, I think they operate by monitoring the USB voltage. The more current you draw, the lower the voltage will be on most supplies (including computers, wall chargers, etc). And I think they monitor the voltage and only draw as much as to keep the voltage high enough.

BillW50 said:

Are you sure it has to do with a data path? My XTAR VC4 battery chargers for example, also limits the current draw depending on what you plug the USB into (doesn't use the data connection). There are tons of devices that all work similar. And from observation, I think they operate by monitoring the USB voltage. The more current you draw, the lower the voltage will be on most supplies (including computers, wall chargers, etc). And I think they monitor the voltage and only draw as much as to keep the voltage high enough.

I found this much,
https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/68472-topic/?do=findComment&comment=915836

That is very strange. I have a power only USB cable here and plug that in this machine's USB port and the Triade is only drawing 400ma. Plug the same Triade and cable into a XTAR's USB power adapter (5v @ 2.1A) and the Triade draws 800ma. Yet plug in my USB TV tuner in the same USB port on this computer and it draws 900ma. :crazy:

VapingBad said:

It will probably not ever reach 1 A off a PC most of them restrict the current to 500 mA...

I don't think most computers restrict ports to 500ma. At least the many that I have seen don't. Like this machine has four USB2 ports. And I have seen over 900ma being drawn over one port. I think most machines are like this one and supplies 2A (500ma times the USB ports) total.

But when you connect up a DNA, it always charges at 500ma. While my USB TV tuners, USB DVD drives, etc. will draw 900ma or more from these same individual port. My two XTAR VC4 battery chargers act very similar to the DNAs (like most devices that charge through the USB). Although my VC4s will only draw about 150ma max from the USB from this machine. Yet connect them up to XTAR's own USB power adapter and it draws 2A max.

BillW50 said:

I don't think most computers restrict ports to 500ma. At least the many that I have seen don't. Like this machine has four USB2 ports. And I have seen over 900ma being drawn over one port. I think most machines are like this one and supplies 2A (500ma times the USB ports) total.

But when you connect up a DNA, it always charges at 500ma. While my USB TV tuners, USB DVD drives, etc. will draw 900ma or more from these same individual port. My two XTAR VC4 battery chargers act very similar to the DNAs (like most devices that charge through the USB). Although my VC4s will only draw about 150ma max from the USB from this machine. Yet connect them up to XTAR's own USB power adapter and it draws 2A max.

Up to Win 7 (IIRC) you could set the max USB current in control panel applet, now the setting is gone and it seems limited to 500 mA with most drivers.  There have been a couple of people that posted they got the full amp, but that is rare.

I think you need better USB cables Bill, unless it is in the finall stage of charging I get >490 mA from the laptop and >995 mA from USB supplies & my 2 powerbanks, but I weeded out the cables with high loss ages ago.

My laptop has 3 usb ports, one is integrated with an eSATA port. With a power only cable I got .5 amp with one, .8 amp with the other and 1 amp from the one that's integrated.
With a data cable it's .5 max on all three.
Oh, I checked the cable using a 1 amp wall wart and it can due 1 amp OK.

VapingBad said:

Up to Win 7 (IIRC) you could set the max USB current in control panel applet, now the setting is gone and it seems limited to 500 mA with most drivers.  There have been a couple of people that posted they got the full amp, but that is rare.

I think you need better USB cables Bill, unless it is in the finall stage of charging I get >490 mA from the laptop and >995 mA from USB supplies & my 2 powerbanks, but I weeded out the cables with high loss ages ago.

That is very strange about saying there is/was a Control Panel applet that controls the limit of USB ports. I have been using Windows since '93 and many other OS before that and I must have more than two dozen Windows machines here. And only Vista and Windows 10 I haven't ran. But the rest from Windows 3.1 and up I have. And I don't ever recall that applet. I am not saying it wasn't there, I just never ran across it. Sounds like it is one of those manufacture dependent drivers to me.

As for better USB cables... those were using the very same USB cables. I can get 2A from them without a problem. I do have one data power cable that came with one of my cell phones that I never saw anything higher than 120ma going through it. I have been meaning to check those wires for resistance because they must be quite high. The data side works quite well though.

By applet, I mean a tab on the device properties, I know it's the wrong word, this is from a Vista machine for v cheap mb's USB hubs (via mstsc), but IIRC some driver hw combinations did allow setting max current and have seen others posting the same.  Later versions of windows do not have the power tab at all and the only instances I have of these are in hyper V so would not be real world hw related.
Usb.png 

I think the usb output is a manufacture dependant add-on, ,, we where looking for anouther computer last year and one we looked at had this app on it, but nothing to do with windows operating system,, THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE. Now i feel old because i also remember when it was called 3.1 for windows. Lol

VapingBad said:

By applet, I mean a tab on the device properties, I know it's the wrong word, this is from a Vista machine for v cheap mb's USB hubs (via mstsc), but IIRC some driver hw combinations did allow setting max current and have seen others posting the same.  Later versions of windows do not have the power tab at all and the only instances I have of these are in hyper V so would not be real world hw related.

Yes that is where I thought you were talking about. Most of my machines have XP installed on them (still my favorite Windows version) and I don't think I ever saw that on XP or older. And I can't ever recall going into Windows 7/8 USB properties for anything.