Running List of 3S LiPo Options

Cotay

I have been keeping a running list of LiPo batteries that meet the following specs:

1. 3S
2. Height of 95mm and under
3. 25A capable minimum

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1t0WrumfRjWbN-UTHu5VUemZQHjkO5gqH9_rFbJa0wXk/edit

The specs are manufacturer specified, but remember that some manufacturers are reported to inflate C-ratings (Maxamps has been accused of this in various RC forums...I have no experience with them so I can't speak to the veracity of the claims) and I've found that sizing can sometimes be off by as much as 1mm-4mm for some batteries.  Measurements also normally don't take into consideration the height required for the balance and power connector wires.  The best advice I can give is that if you are interested in a specific battery, acquire one first and then design your enclosure around it.

I try to add them as I find them, so if you think something should be on the list that isn't, please let me know.

Thanks, I added the BW.  To be honest I have doubts about its mAh rating or the dimensions seem like they'd be off.  Known batteries from established manufacturers with a similar height are generally much thicker and wider at the 1500mAh+ level.  Have you had any personal experience with the battery and can verify its mAh and dimensions?

Great stuff!

If you have a fairly large power resistor bank running to an atty (I use 4 1 ohm 50 watt power resistors in parallel) the battery analyzer feature in Escribe will give you the exact capacity of any pack at any discharge power. Takes an hour or two to generate the curve, but you don't have to do anything but set it up and wait. 

It would be interesting to add the capacities and curves to this document if people test various batteries. 

Also, I can confirm that our beta mod batteries are the FullyMax ones. Ours are slightly different from the standard version, in that we had them route the tap and power connections out the same side, but it is otherwise the same battery pack. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking at building a dna 200 box and I'm wondering what the "50c" on this venom lipo 2200mah means. Apperently it equals a lot of amps and I'm wondering if im going to need a stronger fire button and 510 connection that won't fail under high stress. Pardon the noobness, this will be my first box.. Just want to be sure everything will be safe..

C = capacity, so 50 x 2.2 = 110 A

The fire button only uses a little power so any normally open momentary switch should work, but it is easiest to use the on board one IMO.

You do need a good 510 mainly so it has a low and stable resistance for monitoring temperature rather than raw power.

VapingBad said:

C = capacity, so 50 x 2.2 = 110 A

The fire button only uses a little power so any normally open momentary switch should work, but it is easiest to use the on board one IMO.

You do need a good 510 mainly so it has a low and stable resistance for monitoring temperature rather than raw power.

I've found a slightly smaller battery I'm thinking of using it's a 100c 2000 mah 11.1v. Would it be a good idea to add in a fuse or resistor or mosfet or anything like that or does the chip already have most of that covered?

Crazzysnake711 said:

[QUOTE=VapingBad]C = capacity, so 50 x 2.2 = 110 A

I've found a slightly smaller battery I'm thinking of using it's a 100c 2000 mah 11.1v. Would it be a good idea to add in a fuse or resistor or mosfet or anything like that or does the chip already have most of that covered?[/QUOTE]

The DNA has that covered, it has a fuse and you don't need a MOSFET, but you only need a max of 23 A from an 11.1 V battery so while it is great to have a battery that can do double that I doubt there is any benefit form having a 200 A battery, but no harm either.  IMO the quality is more important once you have enough amps and a bit extra as a buffer, say 35 - 50 A.  I would rather have good quality 25 A than a poor 40 A, but at the sizes you are looking at most probably have more than enough current/amps.

Crazzysnake711 said:

So what then would be the best quality lipo battery. I'm sure it's wrotten in another thread but there are a lot of differing opinions from what I've seen.. I've heard some good things about the venom batteries

I'm really liking my maxamps.com 2000 mah 3S LiPo, if the sizes will work with your dimensions and their lifetime warranty and price work out with your "vape budget" hands as grimm green says.

http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.php?prod=Lipo-2000-111-Pack

I've been looking at batteries also. Do you know what "lifetime warranty" on the maxamps 2000 mah 3s Li-Po means? Is it a free lifetime replacement, prorated, or ?

EDIT:  Found this on their site and answers my question:

Lifetime Warranty 
During the first year of ownership, MaxAmps will replace any defective LiPo or LiFe battery at no cost. After one year, any defective MaxAmps LiPo or LiFe battery can be exchanged for just 50% of the new pack's list price. Our lifetime warranty is non-transferrable. You must be the original owner to receive warranty coverage.

Free Lifetime “Re-Wraps” 
Is frequent use making your MaxAmps packs look heavily worn? We offer free lifetime “re-wraps” to all our past customers. We will remove the old shrink wrap and decals and give your pack a facelift with brand new decals and shrink. Then we will ship it back to you at NO CHARGE. Yet another valuable service that you receive for being a loyal MaxAmps.com fan. Send your packs along with your name, address and phone number to MaxAmps.com, 1015 W Garland Ave, Spokane, WA 99205.

Daniel1987 said:

I am happy to hear you are enjoying your MaxAmps.com Product. If you have any questions on any of our battery packs or products, let me know. I will be happy to help in any way that I can.

I see you do custom battery packs that might come in handy for future mod boxes, bookmarked your page.

• 1 year later...
Cotay said:

I have been keeping a running list of LiPo batteries that meet the following specs:

Brilliant resource, Cotay, thank you!

I've been toying with a few ideas, namely;

a) Possible drop-in replacment of the Fullymax in my vaporshark dna 200

b) Getting ahold of a evolv dna 200 reference mod (or clone) and doing as above

c) Getting the CAD files for the above and altering the design (or having a secondary back) to accept a slightly larger battery

So this data is massively helpful.

After crunching the numbers, it seems a) or b) is not really a possibility but c) might be the way to go...  I've built a shortlist by removing the packs less than 30C or 900mAh, taller than 70mm, or wider than 19.8mm.  I also rejected the Amazon BW item as this had a review complaining that the size was mis-stated.

The winner appears to be the HV60C1200S3 at 1200mAh, 30C, 70x33.5x19.5  -  apparently an extra 1/3 capacity for an extra 7.5mm

Since this would appear I would need to go about building my own box - can you recommend who t go to for the CNC work?

Cheers,
P.