Screen Lights up on it's own :(

steamer861

I just put together a dna200 mod, It's all working perfect :) I noticed after a while the screen would light up on it's own. I saw there was an update available so I updated it, still the same :(
It's not auto firing or nothing like that, just the screen lights up?
Anyone have this happing before? Any ideas how I can stop it?
I'm kind of worried it mite start to auto fire should I take it apart?
Why would it do this?, the buttons fit really good, their not applying pressure to the fire button underneath, this is a little strange :( 
Here's a few pics of the build.

if you've got a short going on in there, a bit of swarf or snipet of wire rattling around, having it in the locked position wont make a shred of difference,
I had a dna30 sat on a shelf behind me while I was eating my tea and after half hour of inactivity suddenly decided to switch on and combust, if your worried about it, disconect the battery , visualy inspect the inside and have a good blow round with some air duster.. (looking at your power out wire, it doesn't look fully tinned, if a single minute strand of that has broken loose and is rattling around inside, it may cause a problem)

black lace said:

if you've got a short going on in there, a bit of swarf or snipet of wire rattling around, having it in the locked position wont make a shred of difference,
I had a dna30 sat on a shelf behind me while I was eating my tea and after half hour of inactivity suddenly decided to switch on and combust, if your worried about it, disconect the battery , visualy inspect the inside and have a good blow round with some air duster.. (looking at your power out wire, it doesn't look fully tinned, if a single minute strand of that has broken loose and is rattling around inside, it may cause a problem)

Nothing is rattling around in there! I a sure you the soldering is all solid, you can see it from the pictures. I'm looking for some insight,some one who has seen this before, even posably a fix for said problem?
I all ready double and triple checked the soldering connections,and all the obvious potential causes.

I left it all together, I did notice it come on once while I laid in bed. The good news is it still works this morning :) I will put some milage on it today, keep an eye on it & see what happens.

steamer861 said:

I left it all together, I did notice it come on once while I laid in bed. The good news is it still works this morning :) I will put some milage on it today, keep an eye on it & see what happens.

This might be hard to do, since you have to watch it. But if it is acting like a button is being pressed, it should also act the same way while charging. As it should jump out of charging screen to normal screen. By the way, where did you get that beautiful box?

[QUOTE=blueridgedog]Could be a tight button (button that needs thinning).[/QUOTE]

The button fitment is Perfect :) First enclosure that required no modding on the buttons :)

[QUOTE]

This might be hard to do, since you have to watch it. But if it is acting like a button is being pressed, it should also act the same way while charging. As it should jump out of charging screen to normal screen. By the way, where did you get that beautiful box?

[/QUOTE]

I have the charging screen set to show all three cells as they charge and to stay lite at 50%
of the screen brightness. So when it's charging I only see the three cells as they progress, & the screen never dims.
The Enclosure came from Protovapor. There on sale for 39.99 :) 

BTW I opened the box agin just now to re clean any of the excess flux on the solder points.
I did at first but figured it wouldn't  hurt to try it again.
Still no difference & I just saw the first screen light up today :(

steamer861 said:

I have the charging screen set to show all three cells as they charge and to stay lite at 50% of the screen brightness. So when it's charging I only see the three cells as they progress, & the screen never dims.

Yes, but you never catch it switching out of charging mode at anytime while charging right (unless you press one of the buttons of course)?

steamer861 said:

The Enclosure came from Protovapor. There on sale for 39.99 :)

Oh cool. You have to do all of the cutouts right? And has anybody tried their coffee?

BillW50 said:

Yes, but you never catch it switching out of charging mode at anytime while charging right (unless you press one of the buttons of course)?

Oh cool. You have to do all of the cutouts right? And has anybody tried their coffee?

Correct perfectly normal while charging The enclosure comes ready to go threaded for the evolv 510 It is of good quality and quite easy to assemble The frequincy of the screen lighting up is far reduced today mite be cause the battery is lower on charge? I will run it right down and see what happins after recharge One more thing I have the screen setting set to turn off after 3 seonds When it comes on its own it stays lit for longer maybe 10 seconds

steamer861 said:

Correct perfectly normal while charging The enclosure comes ready to go threaded for the evolv 510 It is of good quality and quite easy to assemble The frequincy of the screen lighting up is far reduced today mite be cause the battery is lower on charge? I will run it right down and see what happins after recharge One more thing I have the screen setting set to turn off after 3 seonds When it comes on its own it stays lit for longer maybe 10 seconds

I would be very curious to know what the individual cell voltages are when it acts up.

Oh Protovapor already did all of the cutouts? Oh that would save me a lot of time.

At paragraph #7 unfortunatly your soldering is clearly not as good as what you say,, i can see it,,i have seen a lot worse though, best thing i can say to you is, if your confident you havnt got a minute fileing loged, and intermitantly shorting.. does it wake up from idle on its own while the back is off and the battery hanging out. (If it doesnt, you have it tightly assembled and its pressing its own buttons, or your batterys pressing agaist the jsth block and you have a craked solder joint there) but not quite like youve pressed my button telling me your soldering is sound when i can see its piss poor..you dont even have a satisfactory ground off connection to the box or 510, i can also see by the solder and burning at the ground tabb that you attemped a connection and then gave up, your relying on what looks like 3 oil blacked grubb screws holding the board in place. Poor very poor..

So it worked good all day :) I still have the screen lighting up when ever it feels like it :(  I just charged this battery for the second time, now that the battery is fully charged the frequency of the screen light ups is way more often. I ran the battery down until the screen message check battery came on, when I plugged  it in there was between 2 & 5 volts difference on the 3 cells. This is a little strange cause my other lipo's discharge fairly equally.
So what can this mean? Is there any function in Escribe that mite help me diagnose this issue?
@black lace Maybe you can go and Help someone else :) Your kind of Help is not appreciated or wanted here in my thread. So run along & Have a Nice Day :)

steamer861 said:

I ran the battery down until the screen message check battery came on, when I plugged  it in there was between 2 & 5 volts difference on the 3 cells. This is a little strange cause my other lipo's discharge fairly equally.

You mean 0.2 and 0.5 volts difference right? Hopefully you really mean 0.02 and 0.05 volts different. The latter is a bit disturbing, but should be fine. The former 0.2 and 0.5 would be horrifying. And the DNA should be popping up the Imbalance error when you try to fire it.

As far as EScribe... well just check the cell voltages and play around with the screen timing, percent of brightness, etc. Whenever you vape by the computer, run the Device Monitor and see if you can catch it when the screen lights up. Maybe it is firing for a tenth of a second or something. But it could be just waking up for no reason is what it looks like now. Nothing you can do about that really, as that is in the board. Might need to contact Protovapor or Evolv.

steamer861 said:

So it worked good all day :) I still have the screen lighting up when ever it feels like it :(  I just charged this battery for the second time, now that the battery is fully charged the frequency of the screen light ups is way more often. I ran the battery down until the screen message check battery came on, when I plugged  it in there was between 2 & 5 volts difference on the 3 cells. This is a little strange cause my other lipo's discharge fairly equally.
So what can this mean? Is there any function in Escribe that mite help me diagnose this issue?
@black lace Maybe you can go and Help someone else :) Your kind of Help is not appreciated or wanted here in my thread. So run along & Have a Nice Day :)

Yes no worries and thank you for the pictures of how to make a pigs ear out of a silk purse.. playing with a computer aint going to fix that ... and btw your screens off centre..lamo :ADVANCED USER DEVICE:

Yes I did mean .02/.05 :) it still seems strange, I have several Lipo powered DNA200's & none of them do that. There mite be a difference of .01 on one of the cells or no difference between them at all. The real funny thing is it's so random, for over an hour now nothing & the battery is still all most fully charged :) When I first took it off the charger it lit up 3 or 4 times with in minutes of each other.
Here's a pic of my collection :) BTW the soldering worked on all of them :)

@steamer861: Wow that is an impressive collection! I love it! Anyway yes that voltage difference is strange and it might just straighten itself out after a number of recharges. Although if it only gets worse, then you have a problem. Btw, I did order one from Protovapor today. I did hold off on the DNA200 mod and lipo. I wanted to see the box and the 510 in my hands first to look things over before I order the rest of it.

BillW50 said:

@steamer861: Wow that is an impressive collection! I love it! Anyway yes that voltage difference is strange and it might just straighten itself out after a number of recharges. Although if it only gets worse, then you have a problem. Btw, I did order one from Protovapor today. I did hold off on the DNA200 mod and lipo. I wanted to see the box and the 510 in my hands first to look things over before I order the rest of it.

I ordered another one myself :)  I'm anticipating putting a DNA75 in it, with an 18650 battery sled :) I plan on modding the back cover with some magnets, I will be settling for only 75 watts but gaining the convince of a replaceable cell :) I don't regularly vape over 50 watts But really like the big watt preheat punch from the DNA200. I guess I will see how it works out with only a 75 watt board, when there available :)

As far as the fully max in the lights on mod, it discharged evenly down to 3.99 volts :)
When I got the discrepancy in volts it was still new, maybe that has something to do with it?
I had it hooked up to Escribe to see if I could get it to put the lights on But it seems to not want to malfunction with the USB connected.
Right now I'm going to try older Firmware to see if I could get it to operate normally,
If not I will get in touch with Evolv to see If they will RMA it :(

[QUOTE=steamer861]I ordered another one myself :)  I'm anticipating putting a DNA75 in it, with an 18650 battery sled :) I plan on modding the back cover with some magnets, I will be settling for only 75 watts but gaining the convince of a replaceable cell :) I don't regularly vape over 50 watts But really like the big watt preheat punch from the DNA200. I guess I will see how it works out with only a 75 watt board, when there available :)

Sounds like a good idea. Do you think a dual 18650 battery sled would fit? You know two 18650 in parallel.

[QUOTE=steamer861]Right now I'm going to try older Firmware to see if I could get it to operate normally, If not I will get in touch with Evolv to see If they will RMA it :([/QUOTE]

Nothing happened with older firmware, eh?

steamer861 said:

Day 3 the light stays on constantly this morning & this is a screen shot :( I officially give up on this chip.
At this point I'm worried it will screw up my battery :(

I don't know how long it can run the display? But if it gets low you can always charge it and then disconnect the battery once charged if you are not going to use it I guess. Did you start the RMA procedure yet?