Mod Resistance

ndb: Yes, the atomizer resistance should not be included in the mod resistance. If it's the only atomizer you use, it doesn't really hurt, but that's a big if...

As far as mod resistance goes, honestly it's much better to leave it at zero than to be guessing. A value higher than what is right can destabilize the temperature protection, especially at low power when it's most useful (the dry case).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
VapingBad said:

I just tried Analysis Atomiser with a Velocity clone with 2.5 sq mm solid copper in place of the coil, the closest thing I could rig to a short, but the atty will have a few milliohm.  I got 10 milliohm for my 1590A mod with a VariTube with stretched spring using 14 AWG wire and 13 milliohm for the Evolv mod, I suspect that the common earth rather than the 510 is why it is higher.  But I don't think the resistance is that high I need a better method like a brass bolt to fit the 510.  27/7/15 fw

20150729_150139_-_Copy.jpg   20150729_145754_-_Copy.jpg   

I found a better way with just a 6.3 mm copper rod, a copper or brass M7x0.5 bolt would be better and instead of 80% of 0.010 ohm I now get 0.004 ohm reading from that mod, the pic shows 0.005 but twisting it into the thread it goes as low as 0.004 and you should always use the lowest reading.  Always set the mod res to 0 before doing this.
[20151021_230340_Copy] 

I tested my mod resistance with a thick multistrand wire (don't have a nice copper rod).

Raw ohms with Stumpy RDA bridged posts: 0.016 ohm
Raw ohms with wire pressed inside the 510: 0.007 ohm

I set mod resistance to 0.007 ohm and WOW does it make a world of difference!!! Previously I "tempted out" at about 30 watts with 420°F. Now with 420°F it temps out at about 88W ! So I've previously vaped at much lower real temperatures.

• 2 weeks later...

This has to be the cheapest and easiest if you have a decent soldering iron and an old carto: just solder the positive to the negative then sand through to the brass of the positive, plenty of flux flood the centre at first then run the solder around the centre sealing the gap.  As accurate as the solid copper rod and more stable so easier to use, remember to set the mod res to zero before testing!
[20151108_005425_Copy]  [20151108_005634_Copy] 

Just wondering because I'm using a varirube with 14 awg in a 3d print and using the grounding ring that came with it.... I wadded up a ball of 14 awg and am getting 0.008......does that seem kinda high or is yours just lower cause the better ring? *edit*I got 0.010 on my evolv reference mod(there new anodised one).....what did u get with your new method on this mod

scoopy said:

Just wondering because I'm using a varirube with 14 awg in a 3d print and using the grounding ring that came with it.... I wadded up a ball of 14 awg and am getting 0.008......does that seem kinda high or is yours just lower cause the better ring?

Probably because of better contact with the test piece, you don't get to min res until it is good and tight.

scoopy said:

Read my edit about the reference mod

I have not tried it and am running battery analyser ATM so cant right now, but got 0.004 with a copper rod, it was originally 0.003 higher than the VT when measured with the Velocity, but the 510 was not tapped through and a board mount screw was missing, once I fixed those it seems about the same.  I will test it later and edit this post.

ETA the ERM measured 0.004 with both the soldered carto and copper rod methods, I set the mod res to 0.0036 following John's advice and considering that 0.004 could be 0.0035 with rounding.

What do you mean the 510 wasn't tapped through? So your reference mod read 0.004 with the copper rod? With the ball of copper wire I got 0.010 but used 0.008.......mine is the black anodised reference mod (sent my original in for repair and they sent me back a black one!.....Yay!) Where did you get the copper rod and is it solid I'm assuming?

scoopy said:

What do you mean the 510 wasn't tapped through? So your reference mod read 0.004 with the copper rod? With the ball of copper wire I got 0.010 but used 0.008.......mine is the black anodised reference mod (sent my original in for repair and they sent me back a black one!.....Yay!) Where did you get the copper rod and is it solid I'm assuming?

Look at the pic on page 1 you can see it sat proud, I got a plug tap for 4.50GBP from eBay and ran it through and now it sit flush.  Yes it measured 0.004, I posted a pic on pg 3, and I didn't have to put as much pressure as with the VT and expect it is a frication lower res. I saw your black one, we are all jealous.

I got the copper rod from eBay a while age for another project, I have some a bit thicker that I need to put in the drill and file down so the M70.5 die I just got from China for <2GBP can make a solid copper one.