Asking NEW or OLD coil every time I unlock device

Rburke2x

This has been happening for the past two weeks. Every time I go to unlock mod after it goes into standby and I hit the fire button to use it, the mod ask is this a NEW or OLD coil. I haven't changed any settings. Also it seems the battery is draining faster than usual and I have even installed a brand new battery just in case the one I was using was near end of life, still draining faster. Can anyone please help with this issue? 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, dmc1969 said:

i found my rdas negative post was loose at the bottom, i tightened it and it stopped asking

Yes unfortunately it does it with any of my rda’s including the new one I just purchased. I can’t also put them on my hubby’s Therion and don’t have the problem. 

This is happening to one of my Mirage DNA75C devices, as well.  Thought perhaps it was the fault of the RDA I was using (Drop), but it happens with every RDA, RTA, and SubOhm tank I attach, even with an adjustable 510, I still have the issue.  I also see in this thread that there's a service pack 27, but it doesn't show up on Escribe. It only goes up to SP25. What am I doing wrong?  I've been a long time user of DNA200, 250, 166, 133 but never a DNA75C.  It's a great device, but a bit annoying when I go to take a pull and nothing happens, only to see the message about a new or old coil.

5a8e3c7fea694_ScreenShot2018-02-21at9_40_18PM.png.29ab6e2bee922dca9faf7a2db8b82a31.png

Edited by Kurtis_Loew
Decreased image size of attachment

Isn't this behaviour normal when using temperature control with a high changing resistance material and an unlocked coil? Some materials double their resistance value at certain temperatures. With an unlocked coil, isn't this normal?
Let's say you have vaped a lot, the coil is very hot and it's resistance value is 0.85 ohm.
Now you stop vaping, the coil cools down a lot and its resistance value goes down to 0.40 ohm.

Next time you vape, the box detect an high mismatch between the current resistance and the last read one, so it will ask if you have changed the coil.

What's the problem?

Il 23/2/2018 in 04:19 , G-Fog ha scritto:

@James  I would be interested in the answer to that one as well, I too only manage to find SP25

This depends by the version of eScribe you're using. From the official location, the downloadable eScribe version is 2.0 SP5.2. This version brings the firmware version 1.1 SP25
There are newer builds of eScribe downloadable from the forum, but, considering they're not downloadable from the official location (the DNA75 board page), they should be considered "experimental".
I don't know if Evolv consider versions beyond SP25 experimental versions, in any case this should be handled a little bit better because it generates confusion in users.

For me, the last "official" version intended for general use remains 1.1 SP25, bigger versions are still experimental and, as such, potentially broken and / or harmful.

Edited by mjordan79

28 minutes ago, mjordan79 said:

Isn't this behaviour normal when using temperature control with a high changing resistance material and an unlocked coil? Some materials double their resistance value at certain temperatures. With an unlocked coil, isn't this normal?
Let's say you have vaped a lot, the coil is very hot and it's resistance value is 0.85 ohm.
Now you stop vaping, the coil cools down a lot and its resistance value goes down to 0.40 ohm.

Next time you vape, the box detect an high mismatch between the current resistance and the last read one, so it will ask if you have changed the coil.

What's the problem?

I'm not using temperature control and this behavior started happening out of the blue. Tech support has contacted me and we have done numerous test and troubleshoot and they have determined it is something wrong within the mod and have offered to replace it. Case closed.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mjordan79 said:

This depends by the version of eScribe you're using. From the official location, the downloadable eScribe version is 2.0 SP5.2. This version brings the firmware version 1.1 SP25
There are newer builds of eScribe downloadable from the forum, but, considering they're not downloadable from the official location (the DNA75 board page), they should be considered "experimental".
I don't know if Evolv consider versions beyond SP25 experimental versions, in any case this should be handled a little bit better because it generates confusion in users.

For me, the last "official" version intended for general use remains 1.1 SP25, bigger versions are still experimental and, as such, potentially broken and / or harmful.

It is interesting that SP27 was "offered" by the automatic update, so I assumed that it was fine.

My Escribe is International V2.0 SP9

7 minuti fa, G-Fog ha scritto:

It is interesting that SP27 was "offered" by the automatic update, so I assumed that it was fine.

My Escribe is International V2.0 SP9

You're receiving an "experimental" version from the automatic update because you're using an experimental base version of eScribe. As I said. anything beyond SP2.5 for eScribe is not offered from the official DNA75C page, which is "stuck" at SP2.5

Edited by mjordan79
  • Thanks 1

@mackman Mine does it with A1 Kanthal, SS316L and all sub-ohm tanks.  I turned on the Autolock feature which was set at 60 minutes.  It would then lock after an hour of no use, and I'd have to press the fire button 5 times to restart it, but the device stopped asking about the new coil.  I then turned the Autolock feature back off and the device isn't asking about the coil as often as it was before.  I only bring this up as it may help Evolv rectify the issue. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2018 at 4:40 PM, mjordan79 said:

What's the problem?

No, it is a sign of a poor connection, I have only had it persistently once since using TC with a poor origenny 2 clone, that tank is mixed metal construction and the originals didn't have the issue.  I never get it and use dual twisted Ni, a few different SS builds from single strand to dual fused stapled claptons on all the Evolv temp limiting boards without locking the resistance.   I believe it is more likely to happen if you go between temp extremes like a warm building to a very cold winter climate, but that is from the early DNA 40 days so may well have been fixed.

9 hours ago, VapingBad said:

No, it is a sign of a poor connection, I have only had it persistently once since using TC with a poor origenny 2 clone, that tank is mixed metal construction and the originals didn't have the issue.  I never get it and use dual twisted Ni, a few different SS builds from single strand to dual fused stapled claptons on all the Evolv temp limiting boards without locking the resistance.   I believe it is more likely to happen if you go between temp extremes like a warm building to a very cold winter climate, but that is from the early DNA 40 days so may well have been fixed.

It may be a poor connection in the mod's 510 connection, as well.  One of my Lost Vape Mirage DNA 75C devices works flawlessly, with no irregular messages asking about the new or old coil, while a second Mirage DNA75C still asks me about the coil, even if I use the exact same tank or RDA/RTA.  Several of my RDA/RTAs and one of my sub-tanks have an adjustable 510 at the base, and they're making good contact, so I can only assume that it's a problem with the mod itself.

Definitely a problem with the 510 (or in some cases the atomiser) which gives an unstable reading. If you run atomiser analyser you'll see the resistance moving all over the place without you powering the mod.

Poor 510 connections is a major issue, even in big manufacturers and it is the biggest contributor to people not using TC as it makes it highly unreliable. The problem is manufacturers never bothered to make good 510 connections and everyone just blamed the inconsistency on the technology.