Grounding the chip.

Ok guys, I need your help. I am on another group where I gave a mod a bad review. Well along the discussion the subject that the chip on the mod is not grounded and these guys are telling me it does not need to be grounded, that it "earthens" (whatever that means) through the 510 pin....how can I explain this guy he is full of it and does not know what he is talking about? BTW the chip is not grounded to the 510 chip either.

Edited by Mexvape

The B- SHOULD be connected to battery negative. The wire you have soldered from B- to the GND is unnecessary as the board has already connected these (and the ground points around the mounting holes) on the pcb. Also the OUT wire to atty looks like it is touching the grounded mounting hole next to it.

• Like 1

Buddy I did not make this board, took it out of a shit mod that cost me 480 pounds for a DIY project. The chip is glued to a plastic sled, does not touch anything and the only two cables are for the B+ to the positive terminal of the battery and the power to the 510 pin. Here are some pics, maybe it is clearer. 

IMG_0186.JPG

IMG_0188.JPG

IMG_0187.JPG

Okay, fair enough - no blame here

but I still say - 

The bare wire running from B- to the GND connection is unnecessary and potentially problematic

The bare wire connected to OUT is too close the the mounting hole for my comfort 

A similar setup could work if the board is making grounded contact with a conductive case that acts as a battery negative as well

But that bare wire for ground does not assist (even considering the "floating" setup) - this connection is already made internally on the board - and only opens up the possibility for problems. If the OUT wire were insulated it would be better but I am still not a fan of the soldering job done here

For the "floating chip" setup you would need addl connection/s for battery negative and/or a GND connection