Think I bricked a board. Error codes in Escribe?

TS12000

Hi all,

Got my 200 today and ran through the tutorial for escribe then opened the actual program. Updated escribe then plugged in the 200, screen lit and I proceeded to update the firmware. Almost immediately got an error message and the entire program closed out. Board turned off and will not relight or connect. Pretty sure it's toast. I am wondering if the software dumps error messages anywhere as I didn't even get a chance to see what it said and would like to know, and at least report what it was.

that made my day! Had no progressbar aktion for a long time and killed escribe. After that the board no longer showed anything on display and escribe didn´t find anything. But "Tools-Update Firmware and rerun the firmware update" did the trick - solid as a rock

I think I also may have bricked two boards, in as many days. Both just quit in the middle of the day while using them. They are not powering on at all with a battery connected, and are acting like it would if the fuse were blown, just....nothing. The fuse on either board is definitely not visibly blown.

When I plug it in via USB it will turn on, the screen comes up like normal, everything seems fine, it will charge, the displays are all okay, etc. However, when I attach an atomizer it cycles between "Ohms too high" and "Check atomizer" when attempting to fire it.

Any ideas here, or has anyone seen this? I have tried manually flashing the firmware, no go. I'd like to bring these boards back to life if possible, not sure what happened or why both just stopped out of nowhere.

Just checked the second board again, and upon closer inspection, the fuse is indeed visibility blown. The first one acting the same way the fuse does not look blown, but that doesn't mean it isn't. I'll go ahead and get some on the way and see if this brings both back to life.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John,

Sorry, just now getting back on here and saw your post. As far I what I was doing when the fuses were blown I just went to fire the mod and bam, power cut. I am wondering if possibly an atty short could have done it. I don't know for sure internally if there is any different between the ground next to the Atomizer Out, and the ground around the mounting holes, but my mods will also fire without a ground wire from the 510 thanks to the mounts, but I run a ground wire anyways. Like I said, not sure if a short could have gone through the body and caused it. I do know for sure that these two happened with an Atty I verified as being bad that would periodically short, so I disposed of said Atty.

For the two boards I mentioned earlier I do not have the serials as they are repaired and doing well. 

I did have two more over the weekend do the same thing, so I am trying to find if I am possibly doing something wrong, but so far nothing that I can tell. The chips are hard mounted, and solder joints are all clean with nothing shorting or near them. I am wondering if maybe the wires at the board move a tiny bit and short after some time. I am going to try flowing a small amount of epoxy around the base of any wires going forward and see if that resolves the issue. The one I put a new fuse on and its doing great and back to the owner, I also did the aforementioned epoxy addition to theirs.

For the second one this one seems to be completely dead. Customer simply said they went to fire it and it died. It will not come up or detect at all via USB, and seemingly is getting no power. Tested removing the fuse and quickly bridging the fuse contacts with a bead of solder to see if it would power up then and still nothing.

-Nick

TS12000 said:

You're awesome Bap, got it back up. On a side note I saw another thread (https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/68292-topic/) mentioning this same problem happening when using a USB 3.0 and that is the same thing that happened to me.

I thought USB 3.0 used a completely different cable that won't fit into the chip.  I know USB 3.0 is backwards compatible but I don't think you can use true USB 3.0 with this chip unless I am missing something.