Praise evolv

Tomr1088

is it just me or does anyone else get that feeling when they use their dna200 haha. Finally a board that comes out in beta to let people work the bugs out before being released. And customer support too. I'm tired of buying rushed out weekly produced mods from overseas only for the fixed one to come out a week later for purchase again. I finally feel like I'm not just throwing my money away. I mean yea opus and Hana from what I've seen rushed some things to get into the market but nothing that excellent customer service doesn't take care of.

Has anyone had a crazy ideal of making a corded DNA 200 that uses a motorcycle battery or a modified car cigarette lighter? 4 months ago a coworker was joking on how people will be walking around with car batteries strapped around there shoulder (he's a light vapor, and likes his devices to be simple.

We're doing our best! The infant mortality on these is higher than I would like, but it seems to be device to device specific (the opuses that have problems tend to be blown fuses, the hanas have been mostly screens so far), so hopefully a lot of the early issues are implementation details and get tidied up soon. As we find repeatable production or firmware related issues we continue to tweak the manufacturing and testing here at Evolv, and I know the manufacturers are doing the same. You could run it off a car or motorcycle battery. ivcan elaborate on how to set that up if you are serious. Straight from a cigarette lighter the voltage could get up a little high (14.5V) and your typical cigarette lighter outlet is fused to 10 amps, so you would have to limit the power and preheat to 120 watts or so.

John said:

We're doing our best! The infant mortality on these is higher than I would like, but it seems to be device to device specific (the opuses that have problems tend to be blown fuses, the hanas have been mostly screens so far), so hopefully a lot of the early issues are implementation details and get tidied up soon. As we find repeatable production or firmware related issues we continue to tweak the manufacturing and testing here at Evolv, and I know the manufacturers are doing the same. You could run it off a car or motorcycle battery. ivcan elaborate on how to set that up if you are serious. Straight from a cigarette lighter the voltage could get up a little high (14.5V) and your typical cigarette lighter outlet is fused to 10 amps, so you would have to limit the power and preheat to 120 watts or so.

It's even harder to tell if it's on your part especially when the boards are in the hands of so many modders. Not to mention the postal service. So far both of mine are doing well. I'm crossing my fingers and glad I got two so we'll see. My third board which was the first I got idk what happened the first time I fired the mod shut down and would not do anything usb or not. Fuse had continuity but I kinda just let it go. Never thought I'd be able to send it back and get a new one. Also I had already covered my soldered connections with light epoxy just to prevent shorts. Oh and I might add the mod connected to escribe but only read battery voltage and cell voltage. It would actually fire too on the monitor but would fire like 1 watt in a pulse fashion. Device was unresponsive tho. Didn't match any failure I've seen. I believe something must of shorted somehow but never could tell. Fuse didn't pop so I did not think so and verified with a good meter. So I just ordered another the day it happened should of came here baha

Actually, if it will read the cell voltages in Escribe but won't fire, and only turns on with USB, that sounds exactly like the fuse. We have been seeing some pop fuses that don't burn through the green covering. If you haven't yet, send that one back to us to diagnose and repair. No reason to call it a loss.

But also, as a matter of some perspective, do keep in mind that there are thousands of these in the field being used daily. Not the hundreds of thousands we will get to when everything is 100% finished and the floodgates open, but still a significant number.

Well, there are about 70 reference devices floating around out there for up to three months, so it isn't as big a sample as the thousand or so opuses and hanas in customer hands. I will say that we never had a reference device blow a fuse, in 100 person months of total use, so that problem has me a little flummoxed. 

Well, I won't speak ill of our manufacturers, other than I wish Hana was using a less ubderspecced connector. 

Really, I should have made more clearance around the mounting pads and less places that an incidental short or bump will kill the board. Even at cost of making the board a bit bigger. So that is on me as much as anybody else. 

Whatever the causes or true incidence, I would trade all the praise in the world for a lower rate of early mortalities on these. Because it really is an awesome board when it isn't dead.

I am LOVING my DNA200 so thanks Evolv. You guys are great and John a big shout out to you... You seem to do so much its mind boggling. You are always answering all our questions and seem to be a very positive person with a great outlook on things. John let me know I'll get lunch and first rounds on me :) I'm close enough just send a PM. Thanks for everything.

John said:

it really is an awesome board

Amen.  Very very very stoked about what it opens up.  It is actually easy to assemble (eight fast solder joints and three screws), powerful, customizable, warrantied, small, battery system variable, accurate, adaptable and obtainable.  Hard combination to beat.  

I had really high hopes for the DNA200 once it was announced to us mortals and it has thus far exceeded my expectations. Yeah, I had 2 pinched display cables in 2 mods but once they were fixed, these things are really amazing. I still use my VS DNA40 and rDNA40 when I'm out but that will soon change after a few more days of testing my Hana v200 at home. I have been using my BRD200 and v200 almost exclusively at home (rDNA40 once in a while). I also have 2 other DNA40's (home built in a Cloupor box and Hana v4) and a Boxer with a SX350j that aren't being used much. The Boxer is a nice box but the chip kinda sucks, especially when next to a DNA200 and I'm not a high wattage vaper. I really don't understand how people think it's as good or better than a DNA chip (40 or 200). I think I'm going to get rid of the Boxer and Hana v4 to make room for more DNA200 mods :D.

Well I've PIF'd all of my DNA20,25,30 and 40's except two DNA40's to make room for the DNA200's.  No need for the "herd" to just collect dust on the shelf. I kept the Beta DNA40 and the Hana V4 and the two DNA200 reference devices.  That should be adequate till my "urge to splurge" kicks in. :D

• 3 weeks later...
Laguz75 said:

Has anyone had a crazy ideal of making a corded DNA 200 that uses a motorcycle battery or a modified car cigarette lighter? 4 months ago a coworker was joking on how people will be walking around with car batteries strapped around there shoulder (he's a light vapor, and likes his devices to be simple.

I'm working on a design for a motorcycle battery in a backpack. I've been considering it since way before the DNA 200 but I love the chip so much, I decided it would be perfect for the BaxMod or whatever I call it lol.