Battery % jumping down

combatwombat

My chip started to act strangely by jumping from 92% to 65% and has been doing this behavior for the last few days. I just uploaded new firmware and software, and plugged in data for wh according to my battery spec. The balance is fine on batteries. Room temp and board temp seem way off too. Mabey I should try a hard reboot?

combatwombat: Ideally, using the battery analyzer with a sufficiently sized resistor block for an atomizer. If your battery is a standard 3S LiPo, the curve won't change substantially. That'll just tell you what the actual battery life is.

If it jumps around substantially, chances are your battery has very different voltage from the stock settings (less likely) or the wrong capacity set (more likely.

Also, once you change the watt-hours setting, it's good to let the battery fully charge so that it has the correct starting point. What battery are you using and what watt-hours do you have, out of curiosity?

1050mah 3s 9.9v lifepo4, set at 10.4 Wh via calculator, it was set to the default 8Wh before and was working but recently this battery jump has been happening so i used the Wh calculator. Since i got it, about 3 weeks ago it was fine till 2 days ago. KTMrider all cells are evenly balanced in the device monitor. batteryprob.png 

combatwombat, is there any change you have a big power resistor around somewhere? Or feel like winding a gigantic (half inch diameter, maybe a foot of wire, 20 gauge) kanthal air coil? I'd be VERY interested to have you run battery analyzer and see what the actual response and capacity of your battery is. It may or may not match the default ones we've tested at all. 

I will try to get some kanthal but if the resistor is cheaper where do i buy it? I seem to have fixed the problem for now by letting it sit over 100% on the charger for a hour after changing the Wh calculator a few times. I am not sure if it will stay that way but I am also interested in seeing the curve for this type of battery as might help others that are thinking of Lifepo4 batteries.

John said:

combatwombat, is there any change you have a big power resistor around somewhere? Or feel like winding a gigantic (half inch diameter, maybe a foot of wire, 20 gauge) kanthal air coil? I'd be VERY interested to have you run battery analyzer and see what the actual response and capacity of your battery is. It may or may not match the default ones we've tested at all. 

For some reason I was under the impression that you had to use a resistor but I take it this is just the way you done it John, I've got some 18 gauge kanthal laying around somewhere, what would be the best way to go about doing the battery analyser on an atomiser? would dual coils do or would quad be better? Also what would be the best coil resistance and wattage to use? Or would I have to make my own resistor as blueridgedog says above?

I wonder if the insulators in the atty would melt doing this? I have 24 kanthal which i could try around 1 ohm and 40w discharge, but that would only be 3 wraps on 1/2inch lol. I wonder if the ohm we test at has anything to do with accuracy of discharge? The one john linked is 1 ohm 100w.

• 2 weeks later...

@Brandon....So I need 4 of the power resistors John linked? What wattage do I need to run the test in? Can u tell me exactly what I need to do after I build this setup uve shown.....and why are u running 4.....I thought John just meant one of them? Is there any benefit to running 4 in parallel? I am wanting to place my order so I can do the test just waiting on final instructions from John or Brandon....Thank you very much