Power Off Option

Could we implement an option/feature where as if you press the fire buttons 5 times and the device locks you can then hold down the fire button while locked and the device turns off completely.

Basically "if locked" + "fire.held.for.5.sec" then "command for off"

@XEVape

Brandon said:

I'm not disagreeing but what is the perceived upside?  The device powers itself completely down when not fired for a period of time.

What is the "period of time" you refer to as far as powering completely off.    I do notice that it has a sleep function after "xx" seconds however there is no portion of the software or manual that states the exact time it takes to completely power off where as no energy is being used.

If this function is too involved to implement then perhaps another value in the software that is located under the sleep timer for power off duration in minutes.

My ideal situation is this below, not using preheat.

Idle 10 sec
Sleep 20
Off 2 min

Currently there is no option for "Off" functionality.

Thank you for allowing us to voice our ideas on this forum.   I think with the community doing so this device firmware/software features are limitless.

@XEVape

The 60 minutes or so gives the mod and the atty time to cool to room temperature.  During that time the 200 samples the coil to determine if the initial 70 degree resistance is accurate.  This goes directly to accuracy of coil temp.  Abbreviating that process would likely result in less accuracy.

Just for sake of discussion I ran a simple test. Fully charged device was laid aside for 24 hours and the voltage dropped (as seen in EScribe) from 4.20 volts to 4.19 volts.  The device when idle and then sleeps, and then powers off uses little power.  What advantage will be gained by having an "off feature" thus requiring an "on feature" when so little power is used?  

dc601 said:

Just for sake of discussion I ran a simple test. Fully charged device was laid aside for 24 hours and the voltage dropped (as seen in EScribe) from 4.20 volts to 4.19 volts.  The device when idle and then sleeps, and then powers off uses little power.  What advantage will be gained by having an "off feature" thus requiring an "on feature" when so little power is used?  

I did not run a test as such.   I am not worried about voltage drop when idle.   I just figured it would be a good idea to have an option for OFF, always.   Lets say for instance you required to turn it off for lets say TSA or something our of the ordinary.   You would need to wait an hr for the device to go completely off until you can pass through?    I'm just saying why not if the option for it is so easy to implement.   Also the "on feature" would be the "off feature unchecked"  Basically the way the device is currently.

Another situation is lets say FAILURE.    If the mod is buzzing or something BAD is going on with it where you wish to god you can just turn it off....the option is not there at the moment.   Please flame me if I'm acting out of sorts I just thought it would be a good idea.

Brandon said:

[QUOTE=xevape]Please flame me if I'm acting out of sorts I just thought it would be a good idea. 

Not at all!!  I think all suggestions deserve consideration.[/QUOTE]

I always put the option out there since its the internet.   ;)

xevape said:

Another situation is lets say FAILURE.    If the mod is buzzing or something BAD is going on with it where you wish to god you can just turn it off....

I can see that point.  Most of my work with lipos have been where you could get at them for a quick disconnect.  Not so here, but the charge and discharge rates are trivial (compared to RC use for the same packs) so I am not that concerned.  In the event of a catastrophic issue, a software derived off might not be all that accessible.

blueridgedog said:

[QUOTE=xevape]Another situation is lets say FAILURE.    If the mod is buzzing or something BAD is going on with it where you wish to god you can just turn it off....

I can see that point.  Most of my work with lipos have been where you could get at them for a quick disconnect.  Not so here, but the charge and discharge rates are trivial (compared to RC use for the same packs) so I am not that concerned.  In the event of a catastrophic issue, a software derived off might not be all that accessible.[/QUOTE]

There shouldn't be any catastrophic failures like in the RC world since we don't overcharge or discharge at high continuous amps. 

If something bad does happens, the mod is going out the window. xD

KTMRider said:

[QUOTE=blueridgedog][QUOTE=xevape]Another situation is lets say FAILURE.    If the mod is buzzing or something BAD is going on with it where you wish to god you can just turn it off....

I can see that point.  Most of my work with lipos have been where you could get at them for a quick disconnect.  Not so here, but the charge and discharge rates are trivial (compared to RC use for the same packs) so I am not that concerned.  In the event of a catastrophic issue, a software derived off might not be all that accessible.[/QUOTE]

There shouldn't be any catastrophic failures like in the RC world since we don't overcharge or discharge at high continuous amps. 

If something bad does happens, the mod is going out the window. xD

[/QUOTE]

Fact of the matter is it should take too much effort to build in an "off" switch.    My buddy vapes in the office and we have removable floor tiles since we basically work in the server room area.   We have suction cups to remove the floor tiles.   I figure in a disaster situation we remove a floor tile drop it under the floor, close the floor tile then go get some coffee....we have no windows...unless you want to look at production workers.

Abbreviating the power off to hard sleep sequence will have negative consequences for refinement, temperature modelling and cold resistance when you wake back up.

In a TSA situation, as soon as the screen is off, how much more off can they possibly want it? Pressing the fire button will wake it back up (with the wrong initial resistance) anyway. 

The DNA 20 and DNA 30 never powered off. Ever. They were always on in a sleep state no matter how long you left them, unless the battery ran down below 3.0 volts. 

The DNA 200 is sleeping the vast majority of the time in the hour between screen off and hard power down anyway. 

If there was a meaningful upside, I could see looking at it. But what's the advantage? 

John said:

Abbreviating the power off to hard sleep sequence will have negative consequences for refinement, temperature modelling and cold resistance when you wake back up.

In a TSA situation, as soon as the screen is off, how much more off can they possibly want it? Pressing the fire button will wake it back up (with the wrong initial resistance) anyway. 

The DNA 20 and DNA 30 never powered off. Ever. They were always on in a sleep state no matter how long you left them, unless the battery ran down below 3.0 volts. 

The DNA 200 is sleeping the vast majority of the time in the hour between screen off and hard power down anyway. 

If there was a meaningful upside, I could see looking at it. But what's the advantage? 

i just thought it would be a nice additional feature...

I'm not saying it is a bad idea. 

We always tell people to ask for exactly what they want, because sometimes things they think will be hard and expensive are actually easier or cheaper than they expect. And sometimes something they think will be easy or cheap has some hidden technical snag that makes it not so. That unfortunately is the case here. 

John said:

I'm not saying it is a bad idea. 

We always tell people to ask for exactly what they want, because sometimes things they think will be hard and expensive are actually easier or cheaper than they expect. And sometimes something they think will be easy or cheap has some hidden technical snag that makes it not so. That unfortunately is the case here. 

I think I may have finally found a justification.   I've wired up about 10 of these DNA's in my pre-production Round 1 and I've noticed that every time I go and wire the positive and negative to the board it sparks on the initial connection..    Is this due to the fact that its default is constant on?   If the default was the chip being off and needing to be turned "on" would the initial spark connecting the leads happen?

Thank you,