Windows 10 Incompatibility

vaporlips

Most of Escribe works fine within Windows 10, but when you go to utilize something with live support, there are problems.

I enabled Network Framework 3.5 (by default off) and that seemed to help some.  Now when I get a problem, everything doesn't crash to the point of no recovery.  I can hit continue, and continue.

I receive a crash during atomizer analyzer, and also during "device monitor".

Find my two error logs attached.

dna200_crashlog.docx

dc601 said:

[QUOTE=RickAdair]I'm running a fresh install of Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 3 and all is well with the 7/29 release of Escribe.

Device Monitor works in live mode and Atty Analyzer works too?[/QUOTE]

Yes. I am monitoring my box right now. Just ran the Analyzer again and it is working fine.

The only thing that may be different is that I do have Visual Studio 2015 installed. It may have added a missing dependancy.

dc601 said:

Basilray, did you run the two updates that I read came today?

I grabbed what looked to be the latest version of EScribe, and reinstalled.  Tested every possible compatibility mode combo I could.  The one thing I haven't done is tried installing to a different location.

I also haven't looked for any registry keys that may have been related.  I could see that being an issue based on upgrade.

I did check last night, and there were a couple of pretty innocent looking x64 updates that were out there.

I just uninstalled EScribe and did some registry purging, and checked again for Windows updates.  Same result.  The app installs, opens, then basically becomes unresponsive.  I've also tried a few of the past versions of the software, to see if compatibility with Windows 10 MIGHT have been there, but something in a more recent software release is causing an issue.  7-16, 7-14, and 7-09 all have the same issue when running the app...which is exactly what I expected (not sure if all those versions were made public...so if you are all "where did he get those!?!" my bad! ;) ).

As a test to see if it has something to do w/ modifications to the way programs are allowed to run from the user profile location in Windows 10, I installed it to C:\EScribe as a test...and the result was the same.

Interestingly enough, one of the very first versions of EScribe that was released DOES look to work.  But so many features have been added since then, that it's unusable, really.

At this point, from a software troubleshooting standpoint, I feel like I've exhausted the standard line of options.  I'm sure the brains over at Evolv will sort it out in short order.

Basilray, which early version does work? If you could find the last version that works and the first version that doesn't, we can figure out what we added in that version that is not working.

At least gives us a place to start looking.