SS430... has anyone tried it?

ckay1989

So I'm currently using 316L, .20 ohms dual coils, touching wrapped at 2.5mm in my Bellus RTA. Its working pretty well after using a custom CSV that a member posted to this forum can't really remember the name but I got it to work pretty well on my Efusiion.Was wondering how good SS430 is in comparison to the other SS wires. It looks like it has a better temp curve so I assume it would work pretty well for a TC wire. I went ahead and ordered a 30 foot spool of 24 gauge and another 30ft of 22 gauge SS430 from Crazy Wire Co over in the UK just out of curiosity, it was pretty cheap too, around $14.00 shipped. Any thoughts or experience with SS430? Please share your thoughts. I'll update as soon as I do a couple builds.

I got some SS430 and to be honest i had a better vape of it than SS316L and not much messing either.

I used the 304 CSV of steam engine and changed the TCR in escribe to match SS430 and its been pretty good to be honest for me any way.

Some one will be able to guide you in a better direction on here i hope :)

Lance

I've got a spool of 28 gauge and it works well.  It is certainly more accurate in TC mode than 316/317.  I don't use it much, though, because I am leery of its durability.  It isn't as corrosion resistant as the 300 grades.

@Lance, why are you using the 304 .csv file for 430?  Steam-engine has a 430 .csv file posted.

Just got some 28g 430 and it is working well. My board just will not read 316l in TC. Using the 430 .csv from Steam Engine. On device monitor I can see a lot of temp corrections, but they are tight and not fluctuating wildly. Nice clean vape. Unkamen sent a 317l sample, will give that a try next. Ti is still my wire of choice but this is pretty good. 

Johan said:

Just got some 28g 430 and it is working well. My board just will not read 316l in TC. Using the 430 .csv from Steam Engine. On device monitor I can see a lot of temp corrections, but they are tight and not fluctuating wildly. Nice clean vape. Unkamen sent a 317l sample, will give that a try next. Ti is still my wire of choice but this is pretty good. 

My board won't read 26 gauge 317L wire without jumping back to wattage mode.  If I use dual coils, it reads it fine.  It's strange.  (317 is pretty much the same as 316 with a slightly lower TCR).

Yeah, I just tried the 317l from Unkamen using the .csv from Steam Engine and the DNA 200 is just not reading it as TC wire. Oh well, I have other mods that do. Kind of odd though that it will read the 430 SS.

On a side note, got some Ti from Unkamen and it works good with Jaquiths Titan wire .csv. Inexpensive, but dirty. 

Johan said:

Yeah, I just tried the 317l from Unkamen using the .csv from Steam Engine and the DNA 200 is just not reading it as TC wire. Oh well, I have other mods that do. Kind of odd though that it will read the 430 SS.

On a side note, got some Ti from Unkamen and it works good with Jaquiths Titan wire .csv. Inexpensive, but dirty. 

I am using a dual coil 26ga 317L build right now (.270 ohms).  My board reads it fine, but it seems to go back into power mode if I make a single coil build.  But in dual coil mode, it works great and seems pretty accurate using the default 317L .csv file from steam-engine.

I would test it with my thermocouple, but it's very hard to get an accurate reading due to the fact the thermocouple end is made of metal and shorts the coil.  And I haven't found something suitable to insulate the thermocouple without drastically affecting the accuracy.

I don't know if I'm having a brain fart here or what. Had SS 430 working fine the other day, now stick that same rta on the VT200 and got a bad burn hit. Dual coil 28g 2.5mm i.d. 6 wrap. Preheat 1,1,0. Atty analyzer sitting steady at .31ohm. Ran device monitor and it doesn't want to run above approx. 325 degrees. On a long puff to get it above 325 it burns the crap out of me. Help....

SS_430.png

Johan said:

I don't know if I'm having a brain fart here or what. Had SS 430 working fine the other day, now stick that same rta on the VT200 and got a bad burn hit. Dual coil 28g 2.5mm i.d. 6 wrap. Preheat 1,1,0. Atty analyzer sitting steady at .31ohm. Ran device monitor and it doesn't want to run above approx. 325 degrees. On a long puff to get it above 325 it burns the crap out of me. Help....

SS_430.png

what happens when you input a TCR of .00138? that's the TCR for SS 430. your problem sounds to me, either your resting resistance is too high or too high of a TCR value. try the manual tcr number rather than a curve. it seems to be more accurate. also make sure your coils are spaced, not compressed/micro coils. make sure there are no hot spots by dry burning the coil.

Johan said:

I'll try that TCR instead of the steamengine .csv. The .31 on atty analyzer was a cold coil, in the screen shot it is no longer cold.

if you have a baseline resistance of .31 in atty analyzer your baseline res should be .334 in device mon. your cold ohms in atty analyzer should match what you see in device monitor for a baseline reading.  do you have a loose connection somewhere atty, 510? try locking your ohms at.31 in atty analyzer (override and lock ohms). see what happens. 

Sorry for the reply delay, and thank you for the suggestions. I was accused of cutting and running in another thread and not being able to admit any mistakes, but I actually have other interests (gf might choose to differ as of late) outside vaping that consume some of my time. 

Started from scratch again - made some new SS/Ni clapton wire, put a new build on a Griffin RTA, and I'll be dipped it worked. Then I hooked up to Escribe and now all I get is a line in front of the "F" when I fire it. Atty analyzer says .136 and settles out the that number if I screw it on and off. Device manager says .133, and I get nothing on the screen when I fire it except the static lines for the various boxes that are checked. 

Guess it's time to reinstall Escribe, hope I don't lose everthing...

Johan said:

Sorry for the reply delay, and thank you for the suggestions. I was accused of cutting and running in another thread and not being able to admit any mistakes, but I actually have other interests (gf might choose to differ as of late) outside vaping that consume some of my time. 

Started from scratch again - made some new SS/Ni clapton wire, put a new build on a Griffin RTA, and I'll be dipped it worked. Then I hooked up to Escribe and now all I get is a line in front of the "F" when I fire it. Atty analyzer says .136 and settles out the that number if I screw it on and off. Device manager says .133, and I get nothing on the screen when I fire it except the static lines for the various boxes that are checked. 

Guess it's time to reinstall Escribe, hope I don't lose everthing...

what tcr/curve are u using for the ni/ss clapton build? you said you had it working in tc mode, then when you plugged into escribe it became non working? escribe shouldn't change anything on your device unless you connect and upload old/different settings that were for another atty setup. in atty analyzer your cold ohms is what is carried over to device mon. and is also shown on your mod's screen. cold ohms = base/resting resistance. what kinda atty? you're positive your connections are solid ie 510, post screws etc? maybe a screen shot of DV monitor will help out in determining what's going wrong.

Johan said:

Blasphemy.  VapeBros before Hoes.

I have to pay very close attention to the registered resistance of a mod when using "lowish" TCR value wires.  If I know the build is .12 and it starts reading .13, .14 or worse, then I have to stop, move on to another atomizer and open that one and see what the issue is.  99% of the time, I simply tighten the grub screws and it falls back in line.  Other times I have to pull the deck and clean it.

• 1 year later...