Wismec RX200 to DNA 200 Conversion

NoveskeN4

Well i think the point of this whole thread is that the DNA200 version of the Reuleaux is in short supply because of the screens. The DX200 version is available more readily in some places. Some folks were wondering if you could convert the version with the lesser chip to a full blown DNA 200. I will definitely not be among those attempting this.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just gonna put this out there. For anyone who really wants a black DNA 200 Reuleaux my guess is that the reason for the single colour option was due to screen shortages. As soon as they're widely available again I bet Wismec will release the DNA 200 in a black shell.

steamer861 said:

Is this project even worth anyones time? I could see if you were making some thing unique or some thing thats not readily available  out there.
These mods are available for purchase with a DNA 200, Why buy the cheep mod, a chip and do all this modding, to save 25 bucks?
Complete waste of time IMO. Just buy one with a DNA200 :)

I REALLY want the DNA200 version-but in the UK, it seems nobody can get them. I had one on preorder at vapegeek-and his vendor sent him the RX200's instead. He sent them straight back as he had payed for DNA200 Wismecs. 

If anyone knows where I can get one in the UK, I would be very, very happy if you could let me know where. 

Conanthewarrior said:

[QUOTE=steamer861]Is this project even worth anyones time? I could see if you were making some thing unique or some thing thats not readily available  out there.
These mods are available for purchase with a DNA 200, Why buy the cheep mod, a chip and do all this modding, to save 25 bucks?
Complete waste of time IMO. Just buy one with a DNA200 :)

I REALLY want the DNA200 version-but in the UK, it seems nobody can get them. I had one on preorder at vapegeek-and his vendor sent him the RX200's instead. He sent them straight back as he had payed for DNA200 Wismecs. 

If anyone knows where I can get one in the UK, I would be very, very happy if you could let me know where. [/QUOTE]

This is your best bet: http://www.ecigone.co.uk/Wismec-Reuleaux-DNA-200-with-free-batteries

Apparently all pre-orders taken even from today's date will be shipped between Saturday and Monday. 

I did the swap..installed a dna200 board in the RX black case...love it..the black buttons were not a direct swap...had to modify them, black fire button had a hole in the back due to the RX tactile being longer and the black up and down buttons were to long and had to file the backs down. Main reason I did this was for the black and that it has a texture to the case

20151210_183502.jpg

Didn't turn out all that great this time lol. The paint can had a crappy nozzle. I will buy a new can soon and redo it. I was surprised how easy the thing came apart. I also saw the thread in the current topics discussing the ribbon cable being ruined by the fire switch. So I figured I would take care of that as well.

IMG_20151216_004614.jpg

Alex faught said:

Didn't turn out all that great this time lol. The paint can had a crappy nozzle. I will buy a new can soon and redo it. I was surprised how easy the thing came apart. I also saw the thread in the current topics discussing the ribbon cable being ruined by the fire switch. So I figured I would take care of that as well.

Nice work. I'm glad the teardown went smoothly for you. I'm in the middle of attempting to strip down my RX 200 (black) to switch the board out for the DNA 200. I originally purchased the Lavabox, but had to send the board in due to the board getting stuck when pressing the firing button. I recently purchased the RX200 with the intention on switching out boards. I do like Joyetech's board, but only in wattage mode. I hate the 3 clicks to scroll through the temp settings. I much prefer the DNA 200 for customizing curves. 

Anyway, upon inspecting. I found that the 4 screws (middle to bottom) allowed me to pop the screen cover off. That's where work has halted. Wismec have glued the board in place ever so slightly. This doesn't appear to be the case for you on your DNA 200 version. I removed 1 gold or brass plated screw from the bottom right of the board. Is there anymore screws holding down the board that you can think of? I also have a duh moment going on. I don't understand how the board is fitted under the firing button, as the enclosure covers the firing button up. I have noticed that Wismec have soldered long positive and negative wires coming from the 510 to reach the pads located at the bottom of there board. I can see a minor alteration being made there. I may need to shorten those wires as the DNA 200's contacts are located at the top of the board for the 510. I'm assuming the 2 screws located at the top of the battery sled and the top and bottom of the mod are holding the sled in place. Is this correct?

For anyone looking into doing the switch. Please do NOT follow my steps as I could be completely off the mark. I've not done any prior research before attempting any of the above. The mod cost me a little over £30. I would not recommend doing this if the RX is your only mod.

Edit, 

I thought the positive and negative wires looked a little thin. Thanks for providing those images ChunkyButt200. Now to figure a way around removing the solder from those 510 pads. Those wires are way to short to pull the board down a touch to gain access to those pads. I can see this being a pain the backside to complete. Not to mention, the firing and wattage buttons need sanding down from what I've seen on reddit. 

dwcraig1 said:

I thought the deal was to stop making cloned Evolv boards if they were to do business with Evolv. Maybe I'm missing something here though. 

imo its not all that clone-y. different UI, no escribe, no profiles. i think joytech just took some pointers from evolvs circuitry, like the three cell deal, balance charging, and 200 watts. just my thoughts on joytechs board.

nightdex said:

[QUOTE=Alex faught]Didn't turn out all that great this time lol. The paint can had a crappy nozzle. I will buy a new can soon and redo it. I was surprised how easy the thing came apart. I also saw the thread in the current topics discussing the ribbon cable being ruined by the fire switch. So I figured I would take care of that as well.

Nice work. I'm glad the teardown went smoothly for you. I'm in the middle of attempting to strip down my RX 200 (black) to switch the board out for the DNA 200. I originally purchased the Lavabox, but had to send the board in due to the board getting stuck when pressing the firing button. I recently purchased the RX200 with the intention on switching out boards. I do like Joyetech's board, but only in wattage mode. I hate the 3 clicks to scroll through the temp settings. I much prefer the DNA 200 for customizing curves. 

Anyway, upon inspecting. I found that the 4 screws (middle to bottom) allowed me to pop the screen cover off. That's where work has halted. Wismec have glued the board in place ever so slightly. This doesn't appear to be the case for you on your DNA 200 version. I removed 1 gold or brass plated screw from the bottom right of the board. Is there anymore screws holding down the board that you can think of? I also have a duh moment going on. I don't understand how the board is fitted under the firing button, as the enclosure covers the firing button up. I have noticed that Wismec have soldered long positive and negative wires coming from the 510 to reach the pads located at the bottom of there board. I can see a minor alteration being made there. I may need to shorten those wires as the DNA 200's contacts are located at the top of the board for the 510. I'm assuming the 2 screws located at the top of the battery sled and the top and bottom of the mod are holding the sled in place. Is this correct?

For anyone looking into doing the switch. Please do NOT follow my steps as I could be completely off the mark. I've not done any prior research before attempting any of the above. The mod cost me a little over £30. I would not recommend doing this if the RX is your only mod.

Edit, 

I thought the positive and negative wires looked a little thin. Thanks for providing those images ChunkyButt200. Now to figure a way around removing the solder from those 510 pads. Those wires are way to short to pull the board down a touch to gain access to those pads. I can see this being a pain the backside to complete. Not to mention, the firing and wattage buttons need sanding down from what I've seen on reddit. [/QUOTE]

If it is anything like the dna 200 version There is an extra screw underneath the sled that is exposed when it is moved out of the way.

• 2 weeks later...
christophermx4 said:

I recently dropped my Wismec DNA 200 on New Years eve, and the case is pretty much gone. Here's what it looks like: http://imgur.com/a/x6UMw

I'm tempted to buy the Wismec RX200 and try this board swap, or pay someone to do it. I really loved the DNA 200...

Doesn't look too bad.  Have you tried putting it in a wood vise and persuading it back into shape?

Yha i dropped my rx200 like that and the batts flew out. The batt terminals werent touching the batts when all installed and it had a gap when the cover was on. I set it on the table and pressed down on the back end of it (batts removed) and it learned its lesson. The cover now fits a little extra tight which is nice.