HCigar VT200 - Power auto-ramp up and not reading atomizer oHm

TKOVapor

New to the forum, new to DNA200 chips. I'll try to be as detailed as possible. 

Problem: When I attach a tank to the VT200, the power automatically ramps up to 200W. Won't fire after that. Doesn't read oHms on the coil, either (although that could be because it won't fire/read the "new" coil"). IF I attach a tank and try to fire before it reached 200, it'll stop ramping up to 200, but doesn't actually fire. Doesn't read the oHms either. And once I take finger off fire button, the power ramp up continues. 

Tanks used while trying to figure this out:

2 different TFV4 tanks (1 full, one mini) with triple coils at 0.2 oHm
1 Vapmod XTank with 0.3 oHm coil
1 Matrix tank with 0.6 oHm coil
(All coils Kanthal)
Uwell Crown with .15 oHm Ni200 coil

Troubleshooting already tried:

Installed Evolv DNA 200 Escribe software - device connects just fine. All controls within seem to control/affect the device as supposed to.

Performed firmware update - Nothing

Reset to factory defaults - Nothing

Reset all profiles to Temperature: Off - Nothing

Tried a few different combinations of the above - Nothing

Atomizer Analyzer DOES read correct oHms off coils when connected.

CAN reset power output in the Device Monitor, as well as perform simulated fire (which SOUNDS like it actually fires the atomizer when connected).

Essentially, no matter what setting we change, revert, update, firmware upgrade, etc, when you attach an atomizer to it, it automatically sends the power up to 200W. Thoughts?

You probably don't have to do this first step as the default is to do it. That is click on the "Connect and Download Settings". That transfers everything from your DNA to the EScribe software. You might want to save a copy to Windows (File->Save).

Now when you are done making changes within EScribe, your DNA200 knows nothing about them until you click on "Upload Settings to Device".

Yes, I do. I may be new to the DNA200 chip, but I'm not new to computers or software by any stretch of the imagination. 

Connected, holding down fire button without an atomizer attached. 
Screenshot_2016-05-18_17.23.14.png 

TVF4 Mini attached with triple coil, fire 1
Screenshot_2016-05-18_17.23.39.png    
  Second fire with same tank
Screenshot_2016-05-18_17.23.49.png 
  No fire, tank still attached. You can see how fast it ramped up to 200W
Screenshot_2016-05-18_17.24.02.png 

Screenshot_2016-05-18_17.24.02.png

Screenshot_2016-05-18_17.23.49.png

Screenshot_2016-05-18_17.23.39.png

Screenshot_2016-05-18_17.23.14.png

That Screenshot balloon is covering the button pressed status. I am guessing the only one that you had pressed at all was the fire button. The first one you can see just the fire button being pressed.

It also seems you had this for awhile and it was working fine, right? Then this problem popped up, right?

Man it looks like part of the board is working and part of it is dead. Does the display work when unplugged from the USB? Besides a bad board, maybe a bad connection to the 510. Not only check the hot wire, but the ground is just as important.

mikepetro: The Up/+ button isn't stuck. When an atomizer isn't connected, I can control the wattage up and down without a problem. And it doesn't automatically ramp up unless you connect an atomizer. Been left overnight without one connected, and still reading 55 where I left it.

BillW50:
I was pressing only the Fire button in the first three screen shots. Wasn't pressing anything in the 4th. I could try taking another set of screenshots to confirm, if you'd like. 

Yes, the person that owns this device has had it for a while, although they hadn't used it for a little while. Yesterday was the first time they used it again, and this just started happening when they started to use it. I don't actually own this device (hence my inexperience using DNA200 chips), but I was asked to take a look at it. 

The display does work when it's not plugged into USB. 

I'll check with my friend, see if they want to take it apart of not. Thanks for the help, this was kind of what I'd come to a conclusion on before coming to this forum. I wanted to see if someone had actually run into this issue before, in case this was a specific issue. Anyone has any other ideas, would love to hear them. If part of the board is dead, what do I do about that?

Sometimes users end up with juice inside and can cause lots of weird problems. And no, I personally haven't ran across one acting like that one. This is a first. I believe HCigar warranty is 6 months. Although I don't know how much luck you will have with them. Also if that doesn't pan out, open a ticket with Evolv. Evolv might ask you to remove the board from the VT200.

Thats a blown board mate.. i agree with bill. Send it back or off to evolv. And GET THE BATTERY OUT TO MAKE IT SAFE.. I had a vicious ant clone that whent from zero to 200 watt within a second, it aint funny, it would melt any coil clean off the build deck, absolutly no power control.. terrible.. blobs of molten metal and sparks bouncing round the kitchen floor...

there aint even a graph on mine Im on mobile, i dont need a little graph that dont go past 200 for what hes saying, his buttons aint stuck, hes allready said hes conversant, hes tried reloading programs and it aint having it the boards knacered. """from a fire officers point of view""",,, Best get the battery out to be responsible, incase somthing els goes wrong. Glad evolv are getting involved with this one.. make sure you report back to us when he sends it in and youve had a closer look,,, Or keep us posted with installments on the whole returns inspection prossess. (Write it on the back of a graph) lmao

I wouldnt even bother trying to understand whats happening with it while its shorting, the symptoms will change the moor it melts, either berry it in the garden or remove the battery and post it off. ive said beffor i had a clone that suddenly decided to combust while i was eating my tea, it takes a while to get trust back.. had it been left in the car unatended, would have been bad..

dwcraig1 said:

Poster claims no atty in first screen but it fires set wattage when fire button is pressed.
Last screen claims no fire button is pushed just atty installed and it fires by itself @ 200 watts.
How can this be even possible?

It's not firing in the last pic, it's just showing the set power rising, power is showing as "?" on the lhs, ther is no power trace and the battery voltage is level.

Also re battery safety the fuse should protect the battery from any board fault providing the battery is suitably rated.

VapingBad said:

It's not firing in the last pic, it's just showing the set power rising, power is showing as "?" on the lhs, ther is no power trace and the battery voltage is level.

Also re battery safety the fuse should protect the battery from any board fault providing the battery is suitably rated.

Got that.....finally, now that you pointed it out. thanks

No it doesnt .. ive had swarf fall across fet legs and the whole fet has melted and it hasnt touched the fuse.. the whole thing has functioned acording to the screen but hasnt fired it.. if hes got juice mid field only, he could have allsorts of wiered problems without poping the fuse..

black lace said:

No it doesnt .. ive had swarf fall across fet legs and the whole fet has melted and it hasnt touched the fuse.. the whole thing has functioned acording to the screen but hasnt fired it.. if hes got juice mid field only, he could have allsorts of wiered problems without poping the fuse..

???  I said the fuse should protect the battery form a board fault.