Battery settings - 26650 - How to?

mstave

VapingBad said:

I would just choose Lithium Ion 18650 in EScribe and after that if the battery gauge is too far out then run the analyser.

Kinda figured, but am getting a weak battery reading with the battery showing 3.7 volts left, vaping on Ti TC at 40watts (75 preheat 1.5 secs), I think I'm gonna run the battery analyzer

If you look at it in device monitor you will see it is just sagging to 2.5 V during the 75 W preheat for a tiny amount of time and the message just relates to that and not the whole puff.  All that happens is it will give you a bit less on the preheat as the battery gets low, nothing to worry about it is just the limitations of the battery and running battery analyser will not change that.  The cleanliness and quality of the battery connections also play a part in this.

VapingBad said:

If you look at it in device monitor you will see it is just sagging to 2.5 V during the 75 W preheat for a tiny amount of time and the message just relates to that and not the whole puff.  All that happens is it will give you a bit less on the preheat as the battery gets low, nothing to worry about it is just the limitations of the battery and running battery analyser will not change that.  The cleanliness and quality of the battery connections also play a part in this.

Good to know.  I had wondered if changing the soft cutoff might have an impact.  I had set it at 3.2 (I have two batteries for this mod and can just change off, longevity is of interest to me), so I set it down to 3.0 and that appeared to alleviate the issue - could just be false cause, though.

contacts should be clean, I had the mod for 2 days (dammit).  I think I'll run the analyzer anyway (I like to tinker)

We set the default soft cutoff down at 2.75V on DNA 75 for just this reason. Wiring and battery box voltage drop at high currents can be quite significant (and internal resistance, of course), even when the battery has plenty of charge left.

James said:

We set the default soft cutoff down at 2.75V on DNA 75 for just this reason. Voltage drop due to internal resistance, wiring, and battery boxes can be quite significant on single-cell. The battery could even be above 3V but if the wiring loses a quarter volt or more...

So, I take it you recommend that I reset the soft cutoff to closer to 2.75?  A little uncomfortable with that, what would you think about setting it to 2.9?

If 3V is not giving you trouble it certainly can't hurt to be at a higher voltage, especially since you are interested in battery cycle life. E-cigarette batteries tend to lead hard lives, though Samsung INR etc. 75W capable 18650s are generally quite happy at that voltage. Keep in mind also it's under-load voltage, so the battery is not at 2.75V unloaded unless you vape at... very... low powers. At 15W I lose about 0.2V just in wiring, meaning at 2.75V the battery itself is at 2.95V.

If the only issue you are finding is Weak Battery messages, FWIW, we'll be making a patch to make that message less eager during preheat. Some 18650s have trouble holding 75W when they get low, but if they're still preheating at 70W, the message is more annoying than the problem, especially if the condition causing the blinks only lasted for a quarter second.

VapingBad said:

You may know this mstave, but just in case you don't the limit is the voltage under load so you battery will never stay that low unless you are vaping at 1 W.  I fine the lowest 25Rs need changing is 3.2 V.

Yup, that makes sense, sorta thought so, but nice to have it confirmed, thanks

James said:

If 3V is not giving you trouble it certainly can't hurt to be at a higher voltage, especially since you are interested in battery cycle life. E-cigarette batteries tend to lead hard lives, though Samsung INR etc. 75W capable 18650s are generally quite happy at that voltage. Keep in mind also it's under-load voltage, so the battery is not at 2.75V unloaded unless you vape at... very... low powers. At 15W I lose about 0.2V just in wiring, meaning at 2.75V the battery itself is at 2.95V.

If the only issue you are finding is Weak Battery messages, FWIW, we'll be making a patch to make that message less eager during preheat. Some 18650s have trouble holding 75W when they get low, but if they're still preheating at 70W, the message is more annoying than the problem, especially if the condition causing the blinks only lasted for a quarter second.

I am using Basen Blacks with the VT75.  Nice to have the extra capacity that the 26650 gives for when I'm out an about.  The patch sounds like a very good fix. 

I don't use the DNA75 mod for anything more than about 50watts.  I save my "cloudz Broh!" vaping for the Reuleaux or the Panzer for tc and the series boxes for kanthal.

As you can tell, I'm not on this forum much, and I must say, I really like the tone and info provided by all the respondents - thanks!

• 1 month later...
James said:

We set the default soft cutoff down at 2.75V on DNA 75 for just this reason. Wiring and battery box voltage drop at high currents can be quite significant (and internal resistance, of course), even when the battery has plenty of charge left.

And do not you think that this is an abuse of your hand? I wanted to use batteries 26650 LiFePo which has a current cut-off of 2.2 Volt and because of your security can not do that! Unless the user has the right to use the purchased equipment as he wants and not what the vendor wants?

Akima said:

And do not you think that this is an abuse of your hand? I wanted to use batteries 26650 LiFePo which has a current cut-off of 2.2 Volt and because of your security can not do that! Unless the user has the right to use the purchased equipment as he wants and not what the vendor wants?

Are there any chip manufactures that has manufactured any buck/boost regulators that can even operate at 2.2v at 75 watts?