DNA 200 vs DNA 75-Dramatic Difference

skineedog

Can't figure this out, hoping someone here has an idea.

I have a DNA 200 running SP2 of the latest firmware.
I have 2 DNA 75's running the latest 6/5/16 firmware.
All 3 mods are using the exact same TCR file from SteamEngine for SS316L.
All 3 mods have had the case resistance set using a copper plug.
All 3 mods have had the case cooling analyzer run & settings adjusted.
The screenshots are of each mod using the same atomizer with the same build.
All 3 mods are using the same settings for the screenshots:
75 watts, 405 degrees, 75 watt preheat, punch set to 5 for 1 second.

The 200 seems to run great. I love the vape. Warm, dense, & flavorful.
The 75's are weak. I can actually detect the wattage cutting in and out once temperature is reached.
I notice the same difference regardless of atomizer. My builds are usually about the same so initially I chalked it up to the atomizer and just increased the temp. Today I decided to compare the mods w/the same atomizer.

For the screenshots, I had Escribe puff the mod for 5 seconds.
The 200 levels out around 40 watts & 3.6 volts.
The 75's drop to between 9 to 17.5 watts and 1.6 to 2.4 volts.

The atomizer's 510 and the mod's 510 have all been cleaned with alcohol prior to the screenshots being taken.

The build is a dual, SS316L Clapton coil, 26/36, 7 wraps slightly spaced. .27 ohms.  
Hcigar_DNA200_Supreme_7ml.png 
Hcigar_DNA75_Supreme_7ml.png 
Therion_DNA75_Supreme_7ml.png

Therion_DNA75_Supreme_7ml.png

Well the DNA75 mods are running full out. The DNA200 mod is just cruising. The DNA75 mods are probably running one 18650 or 26650, right? Pushing 75 watts out of virtually any 18650 or 26650 is really pushing the limits and the battery sag is probably great. Run the Device Manager again with the two DNA75 mods and monitor the battery voltage too and I bet the battery voltage takes a nose dive.

Hey Bill, thanks for the idea but I don't think that's the issue. One mod uses dual 18650's while the other is using a single 26650. The screenshot below is of the dual 18650. Sag isn't the issue, in my opinion. Gotta be something else.... o.O Something to note; before I decided to compare the mods, I was 'living with it' by increasing the temp and therefor the wattage. Battery sag would be more noticeable at higher wattage if that were in fact the issue, wouldn't it? Also, when in power mode, both 75's also cruise along fine.

Therion_Battery.png

I wondered if the Temperature Dominate setting had any effect so, unchecked the box and now, at 40 watts, 3.6 volts, the device mgr show the coil doesn't even reach temp. When temp dominate was set, the dev mgr showed the coil reaching temp at 9.5 watts and 1.6 volts...
Weird.png 

I will try that but..... I have a feeling something else is happening here. While you are correct in seeing a difference, this could be attributed to the mod's themselves. All three use different material for the 510's. This would not explain the difference when changing the profile to not being Temperature Dominate. I feel this is where the problem lies.

I had this problem with the 200's before the latest firmware came out. I never used Temperature Dominate because of this reason. When the latest firmware came out this issue seemed to be resolved which led to me trying it on the 75's.

As an experiment try these steps -

Unscrew the atomizer and fire the device to get "check atomizer".
Screw the atomizer back on and fire again, answering "yes" to new atomizer.
I'm betting it will vape normally until allowed to rest, unused for say a half hour, then revert back to the behavior you're seeing.

I experienced the same things with DNA75 boards using both Ti and 316L.  I added grounds and changed the 510, even though it was an Evolv 510.  Nothing worked other than that little procedure.  I even opened a ticket and returned a board, tried multiple boards as well to no avail.  Then, one day, I experimented with raising the temperature on the DNA75.  I had been using 450-480F on DNA200s and it as fine, but the DNA75 seems want a higher temperature setting.  My DNA75s are now set at 520F and perform really well.  Mine are single 18650s for whatever that might be worth.

As with everything, YMMV.

Understand I am not knocking Evolv or the DNA75 in any way.  It just seems to be something specific with the DNA75 that hasn't appeared, at least for me, with the DNA200.

awsum140 said:

Unscrew the atomizer and fire the device to get "check atomizer".
Screw the atomizer back on and fire again, answering "yes" to new atomizer.

Therein lies another issue I have with all my DNA mods; Many times I do not get the prompt about a new atomizer even though I have lowered the setting in Escribe to 5.08%, the lowest the software allows it to be set. 

I hope your issue is not mine. As I mentioned previously, I experienced this problem on the 200 prior to the latest (SP2) update. 

As a side note, I have 3 DNA 200's & 2 75's so I have a little experience with the DNA mods. I can replicate this issue across both 75's. 

How does one get a response from Evolv? My preference would be that they respond via the forum to help the community as opposed to opening a ticket.

You can answer this for yourself, but if you did tests with an atomizer, then unscrewed the atty and screwed it on the next mod right after and continued testing - all of your tests are wrong. 

If that's the case, perhaps you should re-do them by giving your atty 1, or even 2 hours time to cool down completely before starting tests on the next mod. Otherwise, these tests just show that TC works badly when locked wrongly. Which is completely expected behavior. 

I can't speak for DNA200, but this applies for DNA75 for sure. 

On the topic, I wouldn't run a 75w device @75W. You don't really need that anyways. I am running a dual SS clapton setup @40W with 50W pre-heat (285C) and it's working wonderfully. Very consistent and virtually flawless vaping experience. Unless I lock a hot coil. :)

BillW50 said:

Well the DNA75 mods are running full out. The DNA200 mod is just cruising. The DNA75 mods are probably running one 18650 or 26650, right? Pushing 75 watts out of virtually any 18650 or 26650 is really pushing the limits and the battery sag is probably great. Run the Device Manager again with the two DNA75 mods and monitor the battery voltage too and I bet the battery voltage takes a nose dive.

I was disappointed with the Battery sag issue. I ended up selling all my DNA 75 and right now my daily drivers are in SX mini ml that I got new for $110 and vaporshark DNA 133 box. I'm good till around 3 .5 volts on my SX mini ml before you start to notice any difference from Battery Sag. But honestly the vaporshark is foolproof it really is a great device I just wish it was 24 millimeter in this SX mini ml just looks and feels awesome in my hand with the hobo Drifter up top and a fused Clapton 26 Gage A1 inner core Rapton 40 gauge A1 outer with a 2.5 ID. I don't know if the firmware updates and help and I really wish I could buy DNA 75 device that I could use to its full potential but I'm apprehensive after owning the hcigar ones

Swainesmatee said:

I was disappointed with the Battery sag issue. I ended up selling all my DNA 75 and right now my daily drivers are in SX mini ml that I got new for $110 and vaporshark DNA 133 box. I'm good till around 3 .5 volts on my SX mini ml before you start to notice any difference from Battery Sag. But honestly the vaporshark is foolproof it really is a great device I just wish it was 24 millimeter in this SX mini ml just looks and feels awesome in my hand with the hobo Drifter up top and a fused Clapton 26 Gage A1 inner core Rapton 40 gauge A1 outer with a 2.5 ID. I don't know if the firmware updates and help and I really wish I could buy DNA 75 device that I could use to its full potential but I'm apprehensive after owning the hcigar ones

I would change my batteries not my mod if sagged too much, a different mod with the same battery configuration cannot make your batteries any better.

• 3 weeks later...
brokz said:

You can answer this for yourself, but if you did tests with an atomizer, then unscrewed the atty and screwed it on the next mod right after and continued testing - all of your tests are wrong. 

If that's the case, perhaps you should re-do them by giving your atty 1, or even 2 hours time to cool down completely before starting tests on the next mod. Otherwise, these tests just show that TC works badly when locked wrongly. Which is completely expected behavior. 

I can't speak for DNA200, but this applies for DNA75 for sure. 

On the topic, I wouldn't run a 75w device @75W. You don't really need that anyways. I am running a dual SS clapton setup @40W with 50W pre-heat (285C) and it's working wonderfully. Very consistent and virtually flawless vaping experience. Unless I lock a hot coil. :)

Turns out my problem was the wire. Changed the profile to SS304 and all my DNA devices are working wonderfully.