Will DNA200 mods EVER have preheat function for wattage mode?

joeong

heya guys! just wanna check if there are any evolv staff here? 

Would like to hear from you guys if dna chips will ever be able to do preheat for kanthal/ wattage mode?

have 3 DNA devices (dna 75 & 200 & 200 ramped down to 133) and am really looking forward to finally having the preheat feature for watts mode! if your competitors can do it why cant you right? (+10-20% of initial watt setting for 0.5-1 second should be sufficient)

Dont get me wrong i love dna chips but i recently tried another chip which had kanthal preheat and that feature really made a big diff)

joeong said:

heya guys! just wanna check if there are any evolv staff here? 

Would like to hear from you guys if dna chips will ever be able to do preheat for kanthal/ wattage mode?

have 3 DNA devices (dna 75 & 200 & 200 ramped down to 133) and am really looking forward to finally having the preheat feature for watts mode! if your competitors can do it why cant you right? (+10-20% of initial watt setting for 0.5-1 second should be sufficient)

Dont get me wrong i love dna chips but i recently tried another chip which had kanthal preheat and that feature really made a big diff)

Hi joeong.....   this csv file will give you preheat in wattage/kanthal mode. 

https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/65540-topic/?do=findComment&comment=884720

• 4 weeks later...

[quote=joeong]Thanks for this! hopefully it'll be implemented in officially soon[/quote]This is officially implemented... 

Well let me expand and clarify on that -- Evolv have officially implemented it by allowing you to do this "workaround".

The premise here is that high temperatures, even for a short time, can create toxic and carcinogenic chemicals in the vapor that you want to avoid (the reason temperature control was invented). That's why it's only recommended to run Titanium, Stainless Steel and Nickel in TC mode -- so you avoid oxidation and toxic chemicals. 

Now of course I can see how this can have very useful applications -- such as high mass coils like Claptons. In this case, it's incredible easy if you know what you're doing to workaround the software restrictions and use preheat in Kanthal as per the guide above. 

However new users, especially just switching from cigarettes, do NOT know (or rarely) about different wire differences, let alone wire safety. Preheat in Kanthal can be wildly unpredictable -- is the user using a normal coil, is he using a clapton coil, is he using an alien coil? 

The preheat features is very well developed in the DNA board and Escribe software (I personally haven't seen as customizable board/preheat function). They haven't "gotten lazy" or "forgot to implement" preheat in Kanthal. The reason they feel it's safe to implement it in TC is because they monitor and control the temperatures. And the lack of this monitoring is exactly the reason it's the way it currently is, I think it should stay that way, I fully support their decision.

For advanced users that are looking for the function and know what they're doing, it's extremely easy to implement using only the Escribe software.

DISCLAIMER: PREHEAT IN KANTHAL CAN BE DANGEROUS! I in no way condone or suggest using preheat in Kanthal mode. Use this method only if you know what you are doing, at your own knowledge and risk.

so preheat with kanthal can be dangerous? without the preheat function you have 250 watts to blow into a coil with the right resistance and of course without temp control. can you imagine this could be dangerous with some coils? in my opinion vaping can be dangerous in general if the user makes mistakes. preheat with kanthal is not more or less dangerous than vaping at all but gives a much better experience. if users dont know what they are doing the should stick with an aio but don't poke it in their eye - it could be dangerous. maybe evolv thinks dna users aren't clever enough but on the other hand we get 250w. i really don't understand it.

Evolv came with Temperature Protection as a means to vape in a safer manner.   Temperature Protection allows vapers to adjust and control to safer limits thus reducing the amount and number of bad things that come with high temp, burning cotton and juice, and etc. As Evolv states in their data sheets:

Temperature Protection

The DNA 200 directly measures and limits the temperature of the heating coil during operation. By preventing the coil from becoming too hot regardless of fluid, wicking or airflow, a variety of undesirable situations can be prevented. For example, appropriate temperature settings will prevent the wicking material from charring, which compromises taste and introduces unintended chemicals into the vapor. Appropriate temperature settings will also reduce the breakdown of flavoring and base liquid components, which could impact taste or safety.