Lost Vape Paranormal dangerous overheat

Photo Pete

Bought a Paranormal 250c in June last year. Generally been OK. This weekend I had Samsung 25R batteries inserted with the device on standby in my pocket. Suddenly noticed it getting very hot. By the time I managed to get it out of my pocket it was too hot to hold. Somehow managed to get the battery door flipped open and the batteries dropped out. One battery was so hot the wrap was starting to bubble. It took nearly 30 minutes to cool down. Battery was dead.

I couldn’t believe a mod with this chip and safety controls could let this happen. Must be something wrong with the battery I thought, so I tried again with some Sony VTC 6 batteries. Exactly the same thing happened, but this time the mod was just on a table, not in my pocket. One battery dangerously overheated and is now ruined... all with the device on standby and not firing.

I find this REALLY concerning. If this had happened whilst I was away from the device and not in a position to pull the batteries there would have been a fire / explosion. The current must have been completely uncontrolled to get to that sort of temperature and to destroy two batteries.

Ideas?

just a wild guess you've had your mod since since june last year with no problems until recently , i would suggest juice has gotten inside the mod over a period of time and has either caused the fire button to stick without noticing or the juice has acted as a conductor  causing it to fire  randomly without being aware. 

3 minutes ago, formula 1 said:

just a wild guess you've had your mod since since june last year with no problems until recently , i would suggest juice has gotten inside the mod over a period of time and has either caused the fire button to stick without noticing or the juice has acted as a conductor  causing it to fire  randomly without being aware. 

Possible I guess. I’ve just unscrewed the 510 connector and there is no sign of juice inside that I can see, and nothing in the battery compartment. It also was not firing when it was overheating  (second time happened almost immediately the battery door was shut and I put it on the table. No noise from firing and no vape seen.

To be honest though it doesn’t matter whether it was firing or not. A regulated mod with safety protection should not overheat to this degree no matter what it is doing. Extremely dangerous.

The safety features built into the board are to protect the board.  Short circuits, loose wiring, poor battery sled contacts, and etc. outside the board can cause battery heating.  Batteries going bad can heat as they degrade over time.....  

possibly like dwcraig1 said maybe the wiring to the the battery connecter has worked lose and the heat from the previous episode its become unsoldered , i had a minikin V2 with the same thing the positive wire had worked lose and touching the metal casing inside and immediately when you put the batteries in it became hot

Edited by formula 1

Makes sense. One of the replies above indicated that Evolv handles Lost Vape warranty work. Is this correct?

I don’t want to be caught in a position where Evolv deny responsibility and Lost Vape do too. 

To be honest, this has freaked me out a bit and I’ve lost all confidence in the mod. I really just want my money back as I’ll not feel safe using it now.

i think this would be down to the manufacturer's discretion as the mod was previously working fine , there's so many user errors that can occur with problems with mods , not saying at all this is what's happened with you or your problem - lost vape offer a 6 months warranty im not sure where evolv stand on their warranty but since you bought the full mod form lost vape i would say that's where your warranty lies but the dwcraig and retird would know better about evolv's warranty procedure .

its a tough one to be honest to get a full refund from evolv they just supply the board and lost vape issue the warranty and its been longer than 6 months

Just now, dwcraig1 said:

So it it the battery closest to the board or the last one in?

Both extremely hot, but the one furthest from the board was the critical one (both the 25r and VTC6 which were in that slot are both dead now.

Control buttons, front plate and battery door were also too hot to touch (actually burnt my finger opening the battery door to get the batteries out)

5 minutes ago, formula 1 said:

i think this would be down to the manufacturer's discretion as the mod was previously working fine , there's so many user errors that can occur with problems with mods , not saying at all this is what's happened with you or your problem - lost vape offer a 6 months warranty im not sure where evolv stand on their warranty but since you bought the full mod form lost vape i would say that's where your warranty lies but the dwcraig and retird would know better about evolv's warranty procedure .

its a tough one to be honest to get a full refund from evolv they just supply the board and lost vape issue the warranty and its been longer than 6 months

Thanks. This is the sort of thing I’m trying to find out. In the UK I should be covered by a return to the vendor under my statutory rights, but I am always a little reluctant to take that approach and hold the store responsible for a defective product rather than the manufacturer.

Regardless of the duration of the warranty period I would have thought manufacturers of a high end mod and board should be extremely concerned about a safety issue like this occurring within 1 year of purchase. Potential purchasers and existing owners should certainly be concerned.

Never buy a yihi or smok mod then as those 2 manufacturers wriggle out of responsibility  in fact smok dont bother replying to anything ,  if you bought it locally then that's your best bet and see what he says , then try lostvape - like i said i think it would be a case of discretion but i would assume they would offer you a replacement product or offer to fix the one you have , if you post it to the allocated authorised repair center wherever that may be , i think lostvape have one in the UK

4 minutes ago, formula 1 said:

Never buy a yihi or smok mod then as those 2 manufacturers wriggle out of responsibility  in fact smok dont bother replying to anything ,  if you bought it locally then that's your best bet and see what he says , then try lostvape - like i said i think it would be a case of discretion but i would assume they would offer you a replacement product or offer to fix the one you have , if you post it to the allocated authorised repair center wherever that may be , i think lostvape have one in the UK

Just had a look on the Lost Vape website. This is what it said, above a ‘read more’ button which just took me back to the same page:

FAQ & WARRANTY

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aenean commodo ligula eget dolor.

I would suspect you to get the results your wanting by submitting a ticket with Evolv.

Here is a video of the 166 Paranormal, you can figure that it's going to be wired the same. The battery door is where the cells are bridged in a series. I short inside the battery door for the contact  marked with a plus would only effect  the one cell (the inside one).

If the 2nd cell still has a good charge after getting hot I would look there. Up on top where the red wire comes off from the top of the inboard cell that should  effect both cells the same. That red wire runs the whole way from the top to the B+ on the board so there is plenty chance for a problem.

While you may not want to try to do it yourself you may find it informative.

5 minutes ago, Photo Pete said:

Just had a look on the Lost Vape website. This is what it said, above a ‘read more’ button which just took me back to the same page:

FAQ & WARRANTY

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aenean commodo ligula eget dolor.

better contacting them through facebook in a private message , they do reply maybe a few days but they will either point you in the right direction or offer advice but dont mention you have undone the mod to see what's happening or you carried the mod in your pocket you won't have a leg to stand on.

if you dont know lostvape changed their name on their fb page and everyone had trouble finding them again also their website but here the link to there fb group 

https://www.facebook.com/LVEvapor/?epa=SEARCH_BOX

Edited by formula 1

1 minute ago, formula 1 said:

better contacting them through facebook in a private message , they do reply maybe a few days but they will either pint you in the right direction or offer advice but dont mention you have undone the mod to see what's happening or you carried the mod in your pocket you won't have a leg to stand on.

if you dont know lostvape changed their name on their fb page and everyone had trouble finding them again also their website but here the link to there fb group 

https://www.facebook.com/LVEvapor/?epa=SEARCH_BOX

Thanks

Is it just me, or does this really not sound very professional?

Also, how do people carry their mods if not in a pocket or bag? Why would that be so bad if nothing else is in the pocket?

sounds a little like a company avoiding liability for anything.

5 minutes ago, Photo Pete said:

Thanks

Is it just me, or does this really not sound very professional?

Also, how do people carry their mods if not in a pocket or bag? Why would that be so bad if nothing else is in the pocket?

sounds a little like a company avoiding liability for anything.

pocket is enclosed space and you cant be sure if its going to fire or not inside a pocket , even though you can be the most careful person in the world there is always chance and a random event can occur however unlikely , the evolve boards do not fully turn off but go to sleep and then so many clicks to return to the main screen however unlikely 5 clicks can happen in your pocket you just never know

2 minutes ago, retird said:

On a side note:  Since your batteries have heated DO NOT USE THEM ANYMORE...THAT'S VERY DANGEROUS...BUY SOME NEW ONES

Much appreciated advice. I bought a new set yesterday but had only thought of getting rid of the batteries that had fully died. You are quite right, I’ll get rid of all that were in the mod both times it overheated.

This is getting expensive!

42 minutes ago, Photo Pete said:

Much appreciated advice. I bought a new set yesterday but had only thought of getting rid of the batteries that had fully died. You are quite right, I’ll get rid of all that were in the mod both times it overheated.

This is getting expensive!

hum.... not as expensive as smoking.....  $ 7.50 per pack here....  would cost me $ 15.00 per day the way I used to smoke.... 😊

https://airneeds.com/how-to-dispose-of-lithium-batteries/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, retird said:

hum.... not as expensive as smoking.....  $ 7.50 per pack here....  would cost me $ 15.00 per day the way I used to smoke.... 😊

https://airneeds.com/how-to-dispose-of-lithium-batteries/

No argument there.

But £130 for a mod which lasts less than a year and then becomes a safety hazard whilst destroying two sets of batteries?

A website which shows random latin text under the warranty section?

Based upon my experience with this device it is certainly not a premium product or service. It is not even a safe product.

Sorry if I am starting to rant a bit. That wasn’t my intention when starting this thread but, the more I think about the risk this failure created, the more annoyed I am becoming.

I shall try and chase down Evolv and Lost Vape or, if I get no joy there, the store from which I bought the mod.

If all that fails it will be sent to trading standards for inspection.