Linux EScribe Suite Beta Thread

Holy wow, I had honestly given up hope on ever seeing EScribe come to Linux, but today I stumble upon this thread, and it works flawlessly!  The installer wasn't able to detect that I already had mono-complete installed, but aside from that it works as expected!

@James Thank You Good Sir!!!

Also I'm running it on Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon :)

On 3/21/2018 at 7:29 PM, Fractal said:

One tiny, tiny, tiny thing....

When I click the link to SP13 in the 1st post of this thread... it still points to SP12 :).

I could still easily find and install SP13 from the following location (link for anyone that needs it) https://downloads.evolvapor.com/SetupEScribe2_SP13_INTL.run

It wasn't exactly hard to find where y'all had put it :).

For the first time ever, I've plugged in all my DNA devices (as I usually do after an Escribe update) and not had any squawk for a software / firmware update for the boards (we're talking 200 / 75 / 60 / 250 / 75C). Quick and clean update it is then! :).

That was it. Now it's working like the Vbox/XP combo!

Only issue with sp13 is - now it won't see the USB port. Hmm. 

$usb-devices

T:  Bus=06 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#= 39 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=ef(misc ) Sub=02 Prot=01 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=268b ProdID=0405 Rev=01.01
S:  Manufacturer=Dimension Engineering
S:  Product=Evolv DNA 200 USB
S:  SerialNumber=ROATWXMAFORP
C:  #Ifs= 3 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=500mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=03(HID  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=usbhid
I:  If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=02(commc) Sub=02 Prot=01 Driver=cdc_acm
I:  If#= 2 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=0a(data ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=cdc_acm

/etc/udev/rules.d/$ cat 60-dimension_engineering.rules 
KERNEL=="hidraw*", SUBSYSTEM=="hidraw", ATTRS{idVendor}=="268b", MODE="0660", GROUP="plugdev", TAG+="uaccess", TAG+="udev-acl"
KERNEL=="ttyACM*", SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ATTRS{idVendor}=="268b", TAG+="uaccess", TAG+="udev-acl"

$ groups
<me> adm disk dialout cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare vboxusers

Well, I can see the USB - but the application can't. If anyone knows why, this is a great time to enlighten me.

==============

I just got a new/used Rose V3, (even the seller was not sure if this was an authentic or clone), and it absolutely works RIght on the vt133 from the get-go. In TC SS316L mode.: 450F,  0.31Ω, 36w, SS-316L profile - with a sillyassed attempt at Tiger Wire using 26awg SS and .7mm Kanth ribbon.

This is the first time TC has acted like TC at all - the DNA hated my Aromamizer v1 and the Griffin-25 with round or twisted SS316, or even clapton SS316. I had even tried the Griff25 with the single-coil insert.

Many thanks folks, keep up the linux work! Looking forward to the solution to the USB/access issue

Addendum:

So, I twiddled around and the USB cable/port are playing lil'bitch - I had to hold it a bit cockeyed, but what I went off and did was:

1. Tried it from the toolbar - no joy.
  2. Tried it as "sudo ~/.local/opt/evolv/escribe-suite/launch-escribe-suite" - that worked Just Right.
  3. exited and tried again as myself - and that too decide to work (monitor was so pretty ;-)

Right now, the only change is:

$ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/*.rules
KERNEL=="hidraw*", SUBSYSTEM=="hidraw", MODE="0664", GROUP="plugdev"
#KERNEL=="hidraw*", SUBSYSTEM=="hidraw", ATTRS{idVendor}=="268b", MODE="0660", GROUP="plugdev", TAG+="uaccess", TAG+="udev-acl"
#KERNEL=="ttyACM*", SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ATTRS{idVendor}=="268b", TAG+="uaccess", TAG+="udev-acl"

I restarted, and twiddled that USB, but I cannot figure out why running sudo FIRST made a difference, but it did - not messing with THAT again ;-)

Edited by Pop7335
Hmm.. The USB ports are going..

Make sure your user is a member of the plugdev group. EScribe Suite should suggest adding you automatically, but if it failed, doing that manually and logging off/on should give you the permission you need. (What permissions do you see in the /dev directory for hidraw devices?)

• 5 weeks later...

Wow, I just updated my Ubuntu install to Bionic and installed the latest Escribe. It is incredible. I had an older install and after setting up my device I really didnt use it again. But this version has all kinds of new things. Time to play!

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, same here. I want as few variables as possible so I can manage my computer without making maintenance on it a project itself. I'll take a proper package manager that's oriented for my OS over snap or flatpak any day. If I wanted discrete libs, I'd use nix.

7 minutes ago, James said:

What is the advantage of this over the installer we provide? It will already offer new versions like the Windows and Mac versions.

Hello James, it is a repackaged version of your installer (simple extract) to make it trackable through the distribution's package manager. 

5 minutes ago, James said:

What is the advantage of this over the installer we provide? It will already offer new versions like the Windows and Mac versions.

There aren't any other than if you're an Arch user or one of the Arch based distros then you get alerted when there are updates through it's package management system. In the case of snaps, they are an attempt by some distros to create packages which can run on multiple versions of a distro or multiple distros that support snaps. To any longtime Linux user and purist, like myself it's no big deal installing and maintaining your app, but some folks are lazy, want everything handed to them on a platter without getting their hands dirty, like Windows or Mac.

It's not just bout Arch and having automatic updates. There are other distributions that utilize pacman (the package manager we're discussing), even MSYS2 on Windows uses pacman. It's an open source and reliable way to compile things for your system utilizing the PKGBUILD file for all modifications and procedures, rather than adjusting makefiles. It allows you to maintain the integrity of the repository if using git, and to pull from the repo to update without losing your modifications or desired library locations or environment variables. There are many people that don't utilize automated updates, but still use pacman to compile and roll out software. Having a single file that sets the make instructions, environment variables, and places the compiled files in your desired location is extremely handy.

@Gelmo technically, in this case it isn't even compiling freshly, since no source is available. It is plainly converting whichever mono binaries and libraries are redistributed by Evolv/James through the installer from the first post and putting them in a pacman compatible package archive. 

• Like 1

If you install to the default location (your home directory) you don't have to worry about modifying anything other than writing the simple file for udev recognition of the device. The AUR version is actually the one that modifies your setup since it changes permissions and installs as Root into your live system. I personality am troubled by installing precompiled binaries from outside sources as they are the ones that often reak havoc when they don't play nicely with the rest of the system. At least when a foreign app is installed in /home there's little risk of it creating problems elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Gelmo said:

@Khorne I know this isn't from source; I was just explaining the purpose and usefulness of pacman and PKGBUILD's in general. In regard to having multiple versions installed, installing as root, permissions, etc, if this is an issue for you then you are using pacman wrong. You should not be using an AUR helper without modifying the PKGBUILD to your liking. If you're grabbing the PKGBUILD and blindly installing, without reading what it does and adjusting it for your system, pacman is not the package manager for you. pacman does exactly what you tell it to do; no more, no less.

19 hours ago, Khorne said:

Hello James, it is a repackaged version of your installer (simple extract) to make it trackable through the distribution's package manager. 

Gotcha. Definitely let me know if you run into any issues (or in future versions) running in a non-writable global directory. It should work, but isn't something I'm actively testing on Linux. Thanks!

On another note, it turns out I accidentally broke moving controls in Theme Designer on Linux SP15.1. Will be releasing a fix this week.

Hi, and first of all, huge kudos for working on a Linux version of Escribe !

But I couldn't get it to work on Arch yet, both with the snap or the aur package, here's what I'm getting:

→ escribe-suite     
Initializing UNIX (GTK)...
Benchmark: Settings took 22.258 ms.

Benchmark: Register took 15.7947 ms.

then nothing, the process is still running but nothing happens, I have to ctrl+c out. Tried this as root and a regular user, with the same result.