Refinement?

LeeWB3

I don't know if this is what's called refinement or what.  But, previous DNA boards left charging overnight and unplugged in the morning would generally show a 0.000 ohm reading when first woken up.  Clicking the fire button would reset the ohms to a correct cold value, sometimes quite different than what it was when it was plugged in to let sit overnight (e.g. you just built a coil, worked out the hot spots and set the "cold" ohms while the temp was actually still slightly elevated).

The DNA 75c does not appear to be automatically changing ohm readings like this in the morning.  I left one overnight last night after building a coil as described above and in the morning it still had the higher ohms.  Before firing I looked on the computer and could clearly see that the ohms reported on the mod screen were higher than the unit was reporting in Escribe now that it was cold.  Is a manual "Resample" (or whatever theme calls it) necessary for the ohms to be updated?

Edited by LeeWB3
  • Like 1

So is the 75c not auto updating all the time like previous DNA 250s, 200s and 75s?  All my other DNA devices (20+) would have recognized the lower ohms if left sitting on my office desk for a long enough period of time....

Edited by LeeWB3
Auto correction error.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The original DNA 75 I currently have until friday when my DNA 75c arrives is aggravating me to death because the room temperature ohms resistance never stays the same rather it continuously changes which makes me have to continue to adjust the temperature. It is an HCigar DNA 75 but this problem is very frustrating almost make the mod completely useless and at least frustrating to use; I am glad to see a post about the DNA 75C not doing this. When my Therion DNA75C By Lost Vape arrives I am just going to throw my dna 75 in the trash it is not at all stable. My DNA 200 with the lipo battery is very stable and a great mod but I continue to have problems with the DNA 75. VERY UNHAPPY WITH IT! 

Have you done the case analyzer?  My VT200, VT75 and VT75 Nano all came uncalibrated and that will cause exactly what you are describing.  I no longer have the VT75 (juice got down in it and fried board) so I can't give you the proper values, but it ain't difficult to run if you have a thermometer and a place you can keep the temperature steady (steadier the better).  I have a video on it on YouTube:  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, akatazmanian said:

The original DNA 75 I currently have until friday when my DNA 75c arrives is aggravating me to death because the room temperature ohms resistance never stays the same rather it continuously changes which makes me have to continue to adjust the temperature. It is an HCigar DNA 75 but this problem is very frustrating almost make the mod completely useless and at least frustrating to use; I am glad to see a post about the DNA 75C not doing this. When my Therion DNA75C By Lost Vape arrives I am just going to throw my dna 75 in the trash it is not at all stable. My DNA 200 with the lipo battery is very stable and a great mod but I continue to have problems with the DNA 75. VERY UNHAPPY WITH IT! 

The coil completely cooled to room temperature is a 0.31 ohms when I put it on the mod and in t 5 or ten minutes of light use all the sudden it will jump to 0.32 or 0.33 making the temperature elevate. I really think that the HCigar vt75 510 has a problem with it in the way they put it together.  I have never had this problem on any DNA mod except this one. I really think the resistance is changing in the 510 connection. They way the mod is built it does not even have a spring loaded batter connection you just screw the batter cap down until the batter makes contact and the base platform around the 510 is just threaded into the case. The coil ohms is stable if I measure it externally but it changes when I screw the tank into the mod and completely cooled to room temperature it will measure different every time I screw it onto the mod. My advice do not buy an HCigar dna 75 mod.

5 minutes ago, akatazmanian said:

The coil completely cooled to room temperature is a 0.31 ohms when I put it on the mod and in t 5 or ten minutes of light use all the sudden it will jump to 0.32 or 0.33 making the temperature elevate. I really think that the HCigar vt75 510 has a problem with it in the way they put it together.  I have never had this problem on any DNA mod except this one. I really think the resistance is changing in the 510 connection. They way the mod is built it does not even have a spring loaded batter connection you just screw the batter cap down until the batter makes contact and the base platform around the 510 is just threaded into the case. The coil ohms is stable if I measure it externally but it changes when I screw the tank into the mod and completely cooled to room temperature it will measure different every time I screw it onto the mod. My advice do not buy an HCigar dna 75 mod.

Yes I did the case analyzer procedure because they were not done when I received it. It has to me the 510 connection is not stable. My Therion DNA 75 C arrives arrives friday and this HCigar DNA 75 is going in the trash can.

Edited by akatazmanian

24 minutes ago, LeeWB3 said:

Have you done the case analyzer?  My VT200, VT75 and VT75 Nano all came uncalibrated and that will cause exactly what you are describing.  I no longer have the VT75 (juice got down in it and fried board) so I can't give you the proper values, but it ain't difficult to run if you have a thermometer and a place you can keep the temperature steady (steadier the better).  I have a video on it on YouTube:  

Yes I did the case analyzer procedure because they were not done when I received it. It has to me the 510 connection is not stable. My Therion DNA 75 C arrives arrives friday and this HCigar DNA 75 is going in the trash can.

A substandard or poorly engineered 510 will absolutely ruin TC vaping.  I don't remember having problems of the magnitude you describe with my VT75, but it failed a while ago and I know more now than I did then.  My VT75 Nano is working fine, albiet with a much higher mod resistance than most everything else in my shelf.

Bet you like the Therion - I've enjoyed both the BF and the 133.

I really love the Therion it is definitely the best mod I have ever owned and the Temp Control is perfect every time. The HCigar VT 75 ohms calculation was much higher than the Therion and very unstable. Temperature control on the Therion DNA 75 Color is right on every single time!

• 3 weeks later...

I think the DNA75C is making a sort of refinement otherwise it's not so logic you have there the option to block the ohms lecture! But using it the value of the resistance red is not update as before? Is that possible? I've also a friend testing it and he told me, one time,while in use the device asked if it was a new coil (always same coil, a ss316l in tc mode if i remember well) without unscrewing the atty from the DNA75C device! Can it be cosidered as a proof of refinement ?

On 10/6/2017 at 0:17 AM, akatazmanian said:

Temperature control on the Therion DNA 75 Color is right on every single time!

I was wondering if you wouldn't mind posting the settings you are using for this after running the case analyzer ?

Quick Ninja Edit : or are they the settings in your video ? I don't want to just assume that you did that test on a Therion 75C .

Edited by Jonski
second question

The setting are: I always vape temp control and I use a Kangertech Sub Tank Mini; absolutely the best temp control rta I have ever used. I rill up 3mm coils at 4 and a half wraps that come out to .33 ohms and set the temperature at 430 degrees fahrenheit. I always use 316 L stainless steel 26 gauge wire from UD wire, I really do not care what PBusardo says a spaced wrap coil still needs a slight break in right after you wrap it start out at lower temperatures 340 to 360 degrees just until the wire wire breaks in after a few hits it  is fine to turn up to somewhere around 430 degrees. The break in is for just a few hits at the lower temperatures just until the coil starts hitting smoothly. Great temp control vape with any DNA device. I think the  the DNA 75 color is a fantastic chipset. The one I use is Lost Vape's Therion DNA 75C. the temperature control manufacturers setting are perfect. The greatest thing about the DNA 75 Color is that after the coil break in you can let it cool to room temperature and remeasure the ohms right on the mod because it will slightly change with stainless steel from .32 to .33 usually on a 4 1/2 wrap 3 mm coil. From every rta I have ever used int eh last 4 years the Kangertech Subtank mini is the best temperature control rta I have ever used and believe me I have used a lot of them and I keep going back to Kangertech's Sub Tank Mini.Keep in mind I am not a cloud chaser I just want my nicotine with no carcinogens and and an enjoyable vape.. My favorite eJuice is VTC from Ripe Vapes.

Edited by akatazmanian

11 minutes ago, akatazmanian said:

The setting are: I always vape temp control and I use a Kangertech Sub Tank Mini; absolutely the best temp control rta I have ever used. I rill up 3mm coils at 4 and a half wraps that come out to .33 ohms and set the temperature at 430 degrees fahrenheit. I always use 316 L stainless steel 26 gauge wire from UD wire, I really do not care what PBusardo says a spaced wrap coil still needs a slight break in right after you wrap it start out at lower temperatures 340 to 360 degrees just until the wire wire breaks in after a few hits it  is fine to turn up to somewhere around 430 degrees. The break in is for just a few hits at the lower temperatures just until the coil starts hitting smoothly. Great temp control vape with any DNA device. I think the  the DNA 75 color is a fantastic chipset. The one I use is Lost Vape's Therion DNA 75C. the temperature control manufacturers setting are perfect.

I wouldn't disagree with anything you said there, the only difference is I use a few different tanks and 6 wraps to get it up to .5 . The settings I was looking for though are the ones for Thermal under the 'Mod' tab . It seems the Therion shipped with the default instead of doing them for the actual case .

I believe Lost Vapes did use the defaults for case thermals on the Therion 75c..  Maybe because the case analyzer is yielding incorrect results.

Try the defaults or run the case analyzer and try those settings.  But on either, start with a 1/2 charged battery, plug it in to computer and monitor what the mods reports the ambient temperature is.  After about 30 minutes it'll start saying it's about 58°F in your 70°F room.  The DNA 75s calibrated with older versions of the case analyzer would track very close to an actual ambient temp.  I don't know if it's a bug with the case analyzer in newer versions of escribe or with the 75c, but it means it's a darn good thing the 75c doesn't automatically reset the ohms for you.....

Edited by LeeWB3
  • Like 2

Lost Vape always uses the default-thermal-settings for their mods.

In this case the case analyzer seems indeed to have some bug (also in the new versions of escribe): The values are far to aggressive and for now one seems to better off with the defaults...

On 7/9/2017 at 6:35 AM, LeeWB3 said:

Try the defaults or run the case analyzer and try those settings.  But on either, start with a 1/2 charged battery, plug it in to computer and monitor what the mods reports the ambient temperature is.  After about 30 minutes it'll start saying it's about 58°F in your 70°F room.

Confirmed, and I think you can see this happening just with normal charging too.

While connected to a USB power source to charge your batteries, you'll see that (I think especially at the end of the charge), the temperature reading falls off and gets well below the initial value, which is pretty much the opposite you would expect from an electronic device subjected to charging current flow...

On 7/9/2017 at 0:35 AM, LeeWB3 said:

The DNA 75s calibrated with older versions of the case analyzer would track very close to an actual ambient temp.  I don't know if it's a bug with the case analyzer in newer versions of escribe ...

All my DNAs used to track track very close. All day   every day. Hmmmmm ........ 

Are your DNAs calibrated with older versions of Case Analyzer still tracking very close?  Mine are.

But new runs of case analyzer are coming up with super high "+" numbers.  Like 30-38 where in older runs they'd be around 8-12.  I am pretty sure they've changed the amount of amperage they charge the battery at during the case analyzer processes.  And speculate that one or both of two things are happening 1) They are dividing by an incorrect number to get the °F/A reading and/or 2) They are assuming the heat built up by charging is linear with amperage (thus the °F/A nomenclature) but in fact you get reasonably close to as much heating with 0.250A as you do with something like 0.40A so the concept of that setting is wrong to start with.

That's speculation, as stated, but regardless of why case analyzer is giving numbers that do not allow unit to correctly track ambient temperature for me.  Do they for you with the newer versions?

I'm going to try watching the full case analyzer run and set the °F/A setting to what it takes to get an ambient temperature board to offset down to actual ambient temperature and set the + value to how much the temperature goes up during the 30 minutes it's charging.  That would not be a °F/A but from watching previous runs it's gonna be closer to 10°F +/- 2°F which is closer to what the case analyzer used to end up at when it actually set the mod correctly.