can i charge my battery on just my board with the balance port?

scoopy

was wondering if it was ok to charge my battery with it hooked up to the balance port on the chip or does it need to be grounded and have the b+ and b- hooked up to.....cuz I ytried and I'm getting reading but cell 1 on 2 different batterys in about a volt or more lower

scoopy said:

2 different batteries do it.....everyone keeps saying once I connect the battery all the way and ground it that it will be fine but I'm unsure and worried

Who is "everybody"? 

I bought one of these battery checkers to test multi-cell lipos:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121680867706?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

ya I get 3.84 on pin 1 7.69 on pin 2 and 11.54 on pin 3....pin 4 is ground right......this reads like this on 2 different packs....I though all 3 should read the same....it seems pin 1 is reading 1 single cell and pin 2 is reading 2 cells combined and pinn 3 is the total voltage.......these readings were taken directly from the balance plug of 2 different batteries

With only the tap connected, the board is grounding through the lowest balance resistor. So the lowest cell will read wrong. 

Without the main power leads connected, it is dumping the energy from the charger into the overvoltage protection diode, not the battery. The battery never even sees the charge current. So you're heating the board up for no gain. Don't do that. 

How is the balance performed?  In prior RC implementations the balance port would drain cells that reached peak early and the charge was solely through the main connection.  There was some discussion on other forums that implied the Evolv balancer was adding a micro charge to achieve balance.  Is it charging or discharging to balance?