Hyperion G6 LiPO 4.35V

Cotay

The DNA200 datasheet states that it is vital that the battery not be charged beyond 4.2V per cell.  Will the board allow up to modify this value for a HvLi battery like the Hyperion G6 series that needs to be charged to 4.35V per cell to reach its full rated capacity?

Here is a write up from Hyperion on these LiPo's: http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/g6hvlipo/default.htm

Hey John & Brandon, Also looking for this feature for HvLi Batts... Sent Brandon a quick inquiry on this last week but have not heard a verdict from him yet. Please let me know, even if it can only be offered on a manufacturer basis that is fine too, Currently developing a production mod using this series battery. So yes I'm officially begging you guys to add this higher terminal charge voltage of 4.35V to address HvLi batteries, and possibly a reduced "battery life optimizing" 4.25-4.3V, as was done for standard V lipos. Best, Wick Mods

You can charge any lipo to 4.35v , it just does terrible things to cell life. We don't think it is a good compromise, but we will consider it. Basically it takes a typical pack from 300ish charge cycles to about 100. You get about 10% more capacity. So what the "high v" batteries really are is high cell life batteries they are encouraging the user to push really, really hard. If you take the same battery and only charge it to a standard 4.2 you end up with something more like 1000+ cycles.

Hey, Thanks for the quick response John... The only ones I'm aware of are Hyperion and Hobby King. I only have interest in the Hyperion G6 Premium HvLi Series... They are definitely designed to be charged to a higher terminal cutoff voltage, or so they say ;) http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/g6hvlipo/default.htm http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/g6hvlipo/HP-G6HvLiSpecSheet042915.pdf Best, Wick Mods

Edited my last response. Is the extra 10 percent run time at cost of 3-4x less cell life really a tradeoff you would knowingly make? Also, you might start charging into the overvoltage protection diode, which would be less than ideal. But I will do more digging Monday.

Sounds good, appreciate it. Yes, would not be thrilled if that is the actual case on these cells, ie truly a decrease in cycle life of that magnitude... Yes the gain is only 10% in the form and weight of a smaller pack of comparable WHrs. That of coarse is the attraction here. Yes they are chargeable at 4.2 cuttoff making the choice ultimately up to the user, but then of coarse the gain of reduced size and weight are out the window. Best, Wick Mods

Wick said:

Hey, Thanks for the quick response John... The only ones I'm aware of are Hyperion and Hobby King. I only have interest in the Hyperion G6 Premium HvLi Series... They are definitely designed to be charged to a higher terminal cutoff voltage, or so they say ;) http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/g6hvlipo/default.htm http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/g6hvlipo/HP-G6HvLiSpecSheet042915.pdf Best, Wick Mods

Wick, I have searched for any information on test results for these batteries and found none. Do you have a link to any tests that have been done or statistics relevant to this battery?  Thanks

dc601 said:

[QUOTE=Wick]Hey, Thanks for the quick response John... The only ones I'm aware of are Hyperion and Hobby King. I only have interest in the Hyperion G6 Premium HvLi Series... They are definitely designed to be charged to a higher terminal cutoff voltage, or so they say ;) http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/g6hvlipo/default.htm http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/g6hvlipo/HP-G6HvLiSpecSheet042915.pdf Best, Wick Mods

Wick, I have searched for any information on test results for these batteries and found none. Do you have a link to any tests that have been done or statistics relevant to this battery?  Thanks[/QUOTE] Unfortunately I have no further info of that nature on these packs, they are quite new on the market (not Hyperion, but the G6 HvLi) there doesn't seem to be to much info out there yet. I have contacted the company and hope to have some harder data shortly, I will share whatever info I receive on this thread. Many of these packs landing in hand tomorrow, wish I could say that I was an electrical genius, but I am not, fortunately I know a few and we plan on putting these packs through there paces quickly. I'm still excited about these batteries on many levels, whether or not I will be recommending they be charged to the higher Voltage, is yet to be determined, I do believe they will still provide substantial cycle life (granted maybe not a record setter, but respectable) under their intended use parameters. I'd say a lot right now lies on the board and whether the concern John raises regarding the "over-voltage protection diode" is an issue or not. Otherwise the only charging to higher voltage would have to be carried out via removable pack and external charger. The board has no issues with the higher voltage battery in use, it's well under the absolute max input voltage. Best, Wick Mods

It would be fantastic if you could offer Li-HV charging option there are a few companies announcing these even the current Turnigy Bolt series are Li-HV. (4.35v)

As you can appreciate getting maximum vape time out of the battery is good, if for example we take your own reference DNA200 case using a G6 900 Li-HV would yield  approximately 25% more capacity than your reference Flightmax 800 Lipo.

You could use a multiple disclaimer dialogue box on selecting this option in escribe much like YiHi did when they released the SX350 60W firmware and the requirement for upgrading the wiring before applying the update.

Using this option would explicitly be at the user own risk.

If we did this, we'd be more likely to make it manufacturer specific with a flag (we already have this capability) so that mods that ship with a high voltage pack are the only ones that can enable it. Unless we know that it is specifically being built into something with a battery that supports it, the increase in capacity isn't worth the additional risk to someone using a standard battery. Not that 4.35 volts will cause fires, but it WILL trash batteries that aren't designed for it in VERY short order. 

• 1 month later...

Revolectrix started this whole trend a few years ago with their Blend 427 batteries that charged to 4.27v and then they released their blend 435 which is a 4.35v LiPo. I have flown my RC helicopters with them before and they seemed great although they weren't my packs. A guy I used to fly with swore by them. He would always charge them to 4.35v and never had an issue. The last time I flew with him he had over 250 cycles on one of the sets and they were still going strong. I definitely think there is something to them. Unfortunately I just checked out the Revolectrix site and they aren't available on the US store anymore, but they can be bought from the Singapore store still. I have a feeling we are going to be seeing quite a few more of these HV LiPos coming out in the next year or 2. Is it necessary to include this in the firmware....? No, you still have plenty of options with normal LiPos, but it would be nice to see how they work and if they truly deliver the extra capacity advertised. I know a 10-15% capacity jump could be huge in our mods. To get something in a decent form factor and vape the way many of us do it could take us from running out of battery an hour or 2 before the end of the day to actually getting all day battery life.