Case analyzer results

lewisss

Hi, just made my first ever mod! I have just ran the case analyzer and the results are a lot different to the standard set. The question is, Should I be worried? Case cooling time constant 337.93s Case heating constant. 316.03 Case USB charge temp rise. 7.95 F 18.59 F/A Thanks in advance

Yes, I am really curious about this too. Does the board do anything at all with these numbers?

What are guidelines as to what good or bad number might be, and what are the consequences?

My numbers are bit different than the first post, but then I am using a big hunk of aluminum.

dwcraig1 said:

Thermal results for my Hotcig DX200
[image] 

I posted this in another forum that sells these and got this response:

"...if one is calculating the average temperature of 10 objects in a room, and nine of them are between 20 and 25 degrees Celsius, but the tenth is an oven at 175 °C, themedian of the data will be comprised between 20 and 25 °C but the meantemperature will be between 35.5 and 40 °C. In this case, the median better reflects the temperature of a randomly sampled object than the mean; naively interpreting the mean as "a typical sample", equivalent to the median, is incorrect." 
Just felt like I had to share that with you. Anyway, your DX200 Case Analyzer Resultsare totally incoherent/inconsistent and out of a proper context to even take them into account by anyone here, or for any point you may had wanted to make with'em."(end of qoute)

Does anyone see something "wrong" with these figures?
I must say though that most of the folks in that forum are either anti Evolv or have no idea what it is.

Case Analyzer:

Thermal

The Case Analyzer and/or Device Manufacture specific settings should be used to populate the data in the fields. Manual field entries are discouraged.

Case Analyzer: EScribe can be used to analyze your case’s thermal properties. This should already be populated with the manufacturer’s settings and will not need to be changed.

Case Cooling Time Constant: The time for the case to cool 63.2% of the way to a steady temperature.

Case Heating Time Constant: The time for the case to heat up 63.2% of the way to a steady temperature.

Case USB Charge ?T: The amount of heating caused by USB battery charging.

Minimum Ambient Temperature: The minimum ambient temperature this device will ever be used in. Typically this will not need adjustment.

Maximum Ambient Temperature: The maximum ambient temperature this device will ever be used in. Typically this will not need adjustment.

Yes, read that before, but what, if anything, does the "board" do with this information?

This blurb from the docs merely states the intent of each field, I am wondering if the board actually uses it, or is it just a design aide.

I just brought an enclosure to market, and my values are dramatically different than most I have seen. Just trying understand the implications of it.

dwcraig1 said:

[QUOTE=dwcraig1]Thermal results for my Hotcig DX200
[image] 

I posted this in another forum that sells these and got this response:

"...if one is calculating the average temperature of 10 objects in a room, and nine of them are between 20 and 25 degrees Celsius, but the tenth is an oven at 175 °C, themedian of the data will be comprised between 20 and 25 °C but the meantemperature will be between 35.5 and 40 °C. In this case, the median better reflects the temperature of a randomly sampled object than the mean; naively interpreting the mean as "a typical sample", equivalent to the median, is incorrect." 
Just felt like I had to share that with you. Anyway, your DX200 Case Analyzer Resultsare totally incoherent/inconsistent and out of a proper context to even take them into account by anyone here, or for any point you may had wanted to make with'em."(end of qoute)

Does anyone see something "wrong" with these figures?
I must say though that most of the folks in that forum are either anti Evolv or have no idea what it is.
[/QUOTE] I can only guess that the person who posted that response doesn't understand what the results are used for. Just guessing but it seems that person wants to estimate the temp of the board from the results, which isn't what it's for. It's not thermal management so the parts don't fry -- it's so the board can reasonably accurately estimate room temp from the inside the device temp. The board knows how much heat it has generated and needs to know how much of that heat is dissipated in a unit of time out of the device as a whole. Each device design will be different so evolv has a clever way to accurately estimate room temp from temp inside the device once the DNA 200 has the numbers as you posted.

dc601 said:

Case Analyzer:

Thermal

The Case Analyzer and/or Device Manufacture specific settings should be used to populate the data in the fields. Manual field entries are discouraged.

Case Analyzer: EScribe can be used to analyze your case’s thermal properties. This should already be populated with the manufacturer’s settings and will not need to be changed.

Case Cooling Time Constant: The time for the case to cool 63.2% of the way to a steady temperature.

Case Heating Time Constant: The time for the case to heat up 63.2% of the way to a steady temperature.

Case USB Charge ?T: The amount of heating caused by USB battery charging.

Minimum Ambient Temperature: The minimum ambient temperature this device will ever be used in. Typically this will not need adjustment.

Maximum Ambient Temperature: The maximum ambient temperature this device will ever be used in. Typically this will not need adjustment.

In the case (no pun intended)of quite a few of the China mod makers this has not been done so the Evolv settings are in place.

case_analyzer_dx200.png  case_analyzer_dx200_round_2.png 
Another hotcig - first run was on my desk - below, but still in front of 3 23" monitors - thought the heat coming off the monitors may have skewed the results.
Ran it again away from the pc - no surprise, longer to heat & faster to cool - but still nowhere near the numbers dwcraig1 got from his.
Both times measured 70 degree room temp in the area it was sitting during the test.

So now what I wonder. I thought maybe mine was skewed due to heavy use running the battery down to low enough to do the test. It sat there for an hour waiting for temp to steady. Mine was done with room temp at 75 F but I'm not sure if it matters as long as you enter the correct room temp. It would be great if John would comment on this subject.