can the firmware be opensourced at some point?

It would be really great if when the dna200 is no longer the bread and butter for evolv (ie their next product is out or it is otherwise end of lifed) the source for the firmware was released. You'd probably even be able to keep selling dna200 chips with OS firmware being a major plus. 

More realistic would be a plugin api in the next evolved chip. I'd really like to see what the community would be able to make this thing do rather than begging for new features. 

Thoughts?

Rcarter said:

Too much proprietary stuff in the source to open it up. They're not going to hand over all their secret sauce to every company looking to clone the board. It would be awesome if they continue to open up more customization in escribe though.

I don't think cloners are truly worried about that..  They cloned the DNA30's and 40's without open sourced firmware.  If it is going to be cloned it will be regardless of open or closed source.

• 2 weeks later...
VapingBad said:

It may not have stopped the cloners, but I think the patients made YiHi take less desirable routes going right back to their earlier boards and the lack of real-time power regulation right up to temp limiting by pulse and pause rather than DC. 

Patents and Licensing are two separate issues.  Could still be opensourced with a license that doesn't allow use of the code on non-evolv hardware.

Interesting thought, but coming from the open source world, it is only useful if it can lead to an extension of the item.  In this instance, I not certain there could be a great deal of community extension.  It is also likely that the firmware conversion will be used for future boards and it would be hard to make the 200 OS even when it is long obsolete.