What settings do most of you use as far as preheat power, punch, and time limit when using Ni200 or other custom materials.

jarred.sayles

What settings do most of you use as far as preheat power, punch, and time limit when using Ni200 or other custom materials. My temp control is working fine on my Lavabox but I still can't seem to dial in on that "sweet spot" like I could other mods. So I'm curious as to what other users use for settings on Ni200 as well as SS and Ti

For Ni200 and Ti01 I've been using 80 watts preheat, 5 punch, for 1 second. I've been experimenting with basically shutting down the preheat with the 430 SS I received from Unkamen Supplies (1 watt, 1 punch, 1 second). I've been really happy with it so far. So much so, I haven't used anything else since getting it.

As for settings. I use mainly Billow V2's and Bellus's (dual coil RTA's). I'm normally at 30-40 watts and 420-450F depending on juice.

Cheers,
Steve

dwcraig1 said:

Isn't setting preheat equal to or lower than "Power Set" the same as turning preheat completely off?

That's the way I see it. That's why I said I've been experimenting with shutting the preheat down. I've only done that on the 430 SS. Was just messing around with the settings trying to get the smoothest curve I can with SS. Since I like a cooler vape (420-450F), it doesn't seem to have adversely affected my vape. I would say it's just a touch smoother since it doesn't jump up right out of the gate. Still just experimenting with it though, nothing is set in stone.

Cheers,
Steve

jarred.sayles said:

[QUOTE=VapingBad]Always have punch at 11, 1-2 second duration, power double with ss wicks in gennies and generally 200 W with cotton wicks, same for Ni, Ti, NiFe30 & SS316L.

I'm not understanding what u mean about "power double with ss wicks in gennies"[/QUOTE]
Double the value I set for watts, so running the genny at 40 W I would typically start with 80 W preheat as you have to be more careful the high currents with dual Ni coils can cause arching to the steel wick, but as the wicks age I can go higher and often get to 3 times.

VapingBad said:

[QUOTE=jarred.sayles][QUOTE=VapingBad]Always have punch at 11, 1-2 second duration, power double with ss wicks in gennies and generally 200 W with cotton wicks, same for Ni, Ti, NiFe30 & SS316L.

I'm not understanding what u mean about "power double with ss wicks in gennies"[/QUOTE]
Double the value I set for watts, so running the genny at 40 W I would typically start with 80 W preheat as you have to be more careful the high currents with dual Ni coils can cause arching to the steel wick, but as the wicks age I can go higher and often get to 3 times.[/QUOTE] What's a Genny?

jarred.sayles said:

[QUOTE=VapingBad][QUOTE=jarred.sayles][QUOTE=VapingBad]Always have punch at 11, 1-2 second duration, power double with ss wicks in gennies and generally 200 W with cotton wicks, same for Ni, Ti, NiFe30 & SS316L.

Double the value I set for watts, so running the genny at 40 W I would typically start with 80 W preheat as you have to be more careful the high currents with dual Ni coils can cause arching to the steel wick, but as the wicks age I can go higher and often get to 3 times.[/QUOTE] What's a Genny?[/QUOTE]
Stainless steel rope wicks with stainless steel mesh covering, this is 0.16 mm (34 AWG) Ni200 so with very high current if there is any short through the wick you will pop the coils before you see the problem. And with thicker wire the current can cause an electrical arch to the wick can burn a hole in it or weld to it.  Fantastic vape, especially with ribbon Ni200, but the only situation I have found where high preheat can be a problem.

20150326_174802_-_Copy.jpg   OrigennyNiRibbonSleeper.jpg 

20150420_005118_-_Copy.jpg

VapingBad said:

[QUOTE=jarred.sayles][QUOTE=VapingBad][QUOTE=jarred.sayles][QUOTE=VapingBad]Always have punch at 11, 1-2 second duration, power double with ss wicks in gennies and generally 200 W with cotton wicks, same for Ni, Ti, NiFe30 & SS316L.

Double the value I set for watts, so running the genny at 40 W I would typically start with 80 W preheat as you have to be more careful the high currents with dual Ni coils can cause arching to the steel wick, but as the wicks age I can go higher and often get to 3 times.[/QUOTE] What's a Genny?[/QUOTE]
Stainless steel rope wicks with stainless steel mesh covering, this is 0.16 mm (34 AWG) Ni200 so with very high current if there is any short through the wick you will pop the coils before you see the problem. And with thicker wire the current can cause an electrical arch to the wick can burn a hole in it or weld to it.  Fantastic vape, especially with ribbon Ni200, but the only situation I have found where high preheat can be a problem.

20150326_174802_-_Copy.jpg   OrigennyNiRibbonSleeper.jpg 
 [/QUOTE] Those look awesome I've been Vaping over 2 yrz now and that's the first I've seen or heard of them does the Vale taste better?

Its also good (if i may add, seeing that i aint had a bust up with anyone this weekend lol) to experiment with your preheat and punch settings while connected into the device monitor, you can realy fine tune your atty,, of course as the wicks and coils start getting old you may go back to it, but i find setting a rule of thumb value doesnt allways work for me.. for instance, without the computer, if ive previously, set to high and harsh,,,, my initial part of a draw on a set up, i can find i'm straight into heat and then a sudden drop and then back on heat,,, then looking on device monitor there are peaks all over the place, then having a mess with the settings, i can get it nice and smooth and noticably better vape.

jarred.sayles said:

[QUOTE=VapingBad]Always have punch at 11, 1-2 second duration, power double with ss wicks in gennies and generally 200 W with cotton wicks, same for Ni, Ti, NiFe30 & SS316L.

So you use the same preaheat power, punch, time, for SS 316/316L as you do Ni 200 & Ti grade 1[/QUOTE]
Pretty much, I get the odd build where I turn it down a little for flavour, all except gennies, but I have only done a few ss & Ti builds, I find NiFe30 is better than both but mainly use Ni200, I did check preheat's effect with all of them in Device Monitor and had no problems.  I stay away from over big coils to get as instant heat up as possible so YMMV with massive coils, and normally vape between 30 to 40 W after the limit comes in, though have managed to occasional blast at over 100 W and keeping below the temp limit for parts of the vape.

Thanx for the tip i'll av a bash, am currently using, stealth NIFe30 in mine on a 1.5 mandrel 8 wraps, 430f+ 30+watts, no issues, its a hot wire, what size mandrel did you say? i know that sounds like a barmy statment "its a hot wire" it heats up very well on lower power.. theres a table of equivalents somewere, i'll post it up when i get a chance.