Balanced charging.

Ghostrider

I have a lavabox and i have just replaced the battery as the original one dropped to .67v on cell 3 and would not charge. I now have a problem with the battery i fitted today. When i first installed it and connected it to escribe it was reading cell 1 4.03 cell 2 4.04 and cell 3 was all over the place between 2.8 and 3.3. I left it connected for a while whilst monitoring it and it ended up reading cell 1 4.19 cell 2 4.20 and cell 3 3.35. I took the battery back out and checked it with a meter on the balance pins and i got 4.2 8.4 and 12.6. I then took the board out to look for any obvious problems and i didn't find any but while it was out i desoldered and removed the balance port and then reslodered it back in. All the little resistors at the sides of the usb seem present and correct. Anyone have an idea what the problem could be?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ghostrider said:

I have a lavabox and i have just replaced the battery as the original one dropped to .67v on cell 3 and would not charge. I now have a problem with the battery i fitted today. When i first installed it and connected it to escribe it was reading cell 1 4.03 cell 2 4.04 and cell 3 was all over the place between 2.8 and 3.3. I left it connected for a while whilst monitoring it and it ended up reading cell 1 4.19 cell 2 4.20 and cell 3 3.35. I took the battery back out and checked it with a meter on the balance pins and i got 4.2 8.4 and 12.6. I then took the board out to look for any obvious problems and i didn't find any but while it was out i desoldered and removed the balance port and then reslodered it back in. All the little resistors at the sides of the usb seem present and correct. Anyone have an idea what the problem could be?

pack seems good. have you tried a hard reboot. reinstall your firmware? do you know where to look for knocked off resistors or other components? it can be very hard to see and catch everything since they're so small. let me see if i can find the pic with the resistor knocked off the board.....

I have tried both soft and hard reboot and i also tried downgrading firmware and then letting escribe auto update it back to the latest. Here are some pics i took of the bottom half of the board when i had it out.

dna1.jpg  dna2.jpg  dna3.jpg 
I read about the resistor problems while searching the site for clues and these all look correct to me.

dna4.jpg

Ghostrider said:

I have tried both soft and hard reboot and i also tried downgrading firmware and then letting escribe auto update it back to the latest. Here are some pics i took of the bottom half of the board when i had it out.

dna1.jpg  dna2.jpg  dna3.jpg 
I read about the resistor problems while searching the site for clues and these all look correct to me.

from what i can see nothing looks misplaced to me. i would rma the board back to evolv. not unless someone else comes up with any ideas. if a cell's voltage is fluctuating, sounds like a bad connection somewhere (intermittent connection). 

Sending it back to the states is a last resort if i can't sort it myself. As for soldering the old battery direct unfortunately i can't do that as it had a slight bulge so i decided to bin it to stop myself from messing with it. Plus like i said in a previous post the battery voltages are correct on the reverse of the balanced plug.

ChunkyButt200 said:

well it's looking more and more like an rma situation. sorry to say it, but you're confirming correct voltages at the taps and mains on the board, it sounds like something that cannot be fixed by you. if it were me, i would see how the boards with a pack directly soldered to the board, taps and mains. i'm out of ideas.

Thanks for your time and trying. :) Maybe someone from evolv will see this thread and have an idea what's wrong.

Well yeah but when amps are applied it's going to drop, I think it's a connection problem, same thing happened to me with my 18650 setup I just flooded solder back on to it and it work and I thought I did a good job the first time, try that and if it doesn't work take a pic of the main solder joints

Does it not fire and work, ? Thought cell cut off point is 3:07 volt if it does work, have you not tried using the battery power up and recharging a few times to decharge recharge, getting it doing somthing can ballence and healthy it up your soldering is neat and precise but needs to be sniped down where the leads stick through the board to tidy it up perfect.

Laguz75 said:

Well yeah but when amps are applied it's going to drop, I think it's a connection problem, same thing happened to me with my 18650 setup I just flooded solder back on to it and it work and I thought I did a good job the first time, try that and if it doesn't work take a pic of the main solder joints

Its showing 12.6 at the board but escribe is showing 11.75 in device monitor. Likewise all 3 cells are showing 4.2 at the board on the back of the balance connector but device monitor is showing 4.2 4.2 3.25.

black lace said:

Does it not fire and work, ? Thought cell cut off point is 3:07 volt if it does work, have you not tried using the battery power up and recharging a few times to decharge recharge, getting it doing somthing can ballence and healthy it up your soldering is neat and precise but needs to be sniped down where the leads stick through the board to tidy it up perfect.

It will fire and work but will show imbalanced battery all the time and it will report as out of charge because of cell 3 voltage being misreported.

Ghostrider said:

[QUOTE=Laguz75]Well yeah but when amps are applied it's going to drop, I think it's a connection problem, same thing happened to me with my 18650 setup I just flooded solder back on to it and it work and I thought I did a good job the first time, try that and if it doesn't work take a pic of the main solder joints

Its showing 12.6 at the board but escribe is showing 11.75 in device monitor. Likewise all 3 cells are showing 4.2 at the board on the back of the balance connector but device monitor is showing 4.2 4.2 3.25.[/QUOTE]flood the mains with sold and if it doesn't work take a picture

[/QUOTE]It will fire and work but will show imbalanced battery all the time and it will report as out of charge because of cell 3 voltage being misreported.[/QUOTE]

ok got yah, sorry to ask and sound like a dork but what is it that your calling as "at the board" in relation to escribe?
an what  is the battery?
also I suggest that because your soldering is sound I would solder in wires say 30mm long as leads to a jst connector as an extension, it will tuck in between the 200 board and mod beneath your usb, then also if you decide to direct wire and throw the connectors out altogether, you can join to the leads, if that makes sence 

black lace said:

ok got yah, sorry to ask and sound like a dork but what is it that your calling as "at the board" in relation to escribe?
an what  is the battery?
also I suggest that because your soldering is sound I would solder in wires say 30mm long as leads to a jst connector as an extension, it will tuck in between the 200 board and mod beneath your buttons, then also if you decide to direct wire and throw the connectors out altogether, you can join to the leads, if that makes sence 

I am calling at the board as taking the measurements from there rather than at the battery itself IE taking the balance readings from the other side of the connector where the pins come through the board and in the case of main power then from the board where the wires are soldered. It just means i am ruling out any connector or wiring problems. It is beginning to look more and more like a rma problem.

oh ok, with a multi tester, ,, ive just googled  lavabox they look very nice, they came out less than six months ago, I would recommend to you, take it up with the person you bought it off, I thought you had built it yourself,
I would insist that you need a replacement because still only months old and statutory rights ect, even if you rma it you have to send the receipt in with it, and like you said last resort to send to USA, tell the vendor that's for him to do, hopefully youl be back on the road quicker ,,,so to speak,, all the best.. 

I didn't buy it a friend did and i am trying to sort it for him. I may have found the problem, when i look at the picture of the board on the ordering page it shows a square chip just above the usb port with 6 pins on each side. When i look at this board i can see that only 4 pins are soldered on the bottom right hand side and the 2 middle pins are tucked under the chip. If that is the case then it must have been a manufacturing fault and my dozy friend never bothered with escribe or checking his battery stats.