General DNA 75 Thread

Nick

If possible try to keep questions, comments, issues, praise, brimstone, fire, or general feedback to this thread for now. Trying to figure out the best way to organize the forum for the addition of the 75. 

VapingBad said:

What has excited me the most is the Stainless Steel regulation is far better than anything else I have tried B| I was about to PIF all my SS wire and now I'm keeping it.

sson75.1.png 

VB......is the smoother TC regulation for SS just in the 75 firmware or is it smoother for the 200 as well with the newest firmware?

VapingBad said:

I believe those enhancements will be coming to the 200.

hey VB....i just put the new firmware that comes with the new 75/200 escribe, on my 1590a/dna200 . you're right, the difference between SS temp control on firmware 2016-04-25 and previous versions is now as smooth as glass. no jagged rocky mountain spikes seen when the temp box is selected. very nice i must say. i just tested my relo (older FW version) vs hammond 1590a (with new FW). both with my Dual 24g 9 wrap SS316L VCMT. i like it buddy

edit.....i know this supposed to stay dna 75 related, so i'll refrain from posting about FW updates for the 200 here.

Can barely wait to get my hands on some of these boards. While I was predicting a single cell escribe-capable board a few months after the launch of the 200, I'm very glad you guys took it slow and went through multiple beta versions to weed out as many issues as possible.

So is the DNA75 successing the DNA200, or is it just an alternative for lower wattage vapers who like small, single cell mods? So far the only differences I've seen are the LED light on the Hcigar box, but I never vape under 90-100W even in TC so the DNA75 will never be a mod for me. I'm just hoping the DNA75 and 133/200 all have the same capabilities and functionality, just different sized packages for different tastes.

I could, but what good would that do? Evolv had taken it down for some reason and maybe because it has a serious bug or something. No word on why yet. But if you want to run it because of all of the DNA75 features and use them on your DNA200, it doesn't work that way.

I'm aware of this, there's still new firmware for the DNA200 on it I'd like to try. That's the good. Links break, doesn't mean Evolv had to have taken it down, things happen. Even if there is bugs, I'm very aware of how to revert back to the February firmware I've been using. As far as features go, the light under the firing button in the only DNA75 feature I know of the 200 doesn't have. If there's 'all these features' as you say, then my question which you dismissed definitely holds water. So which is it?

Each to their own and all that malarkey, but the best feature of any mod for me is when i press the button at the top, vapour comes out. As a mod builder using 200s i'm not thrilled either, i didnt get chance to get the softwear either, if we all got excited about softwear,,, meterphoricaly speaking we would all be walking round with our pants over our jeans. new uk regs coming out soon (like real soon) are dictating that any new mods (boards a grey area) will have to be indervidualy registered and then shelved for a six month cooling off period, ie manufacture recalls.

I'm sure they will release it when it's ready, but there were no safety issues in that release.  I will probably move these posts about the 200 to the 200 section probably to this thread https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/66660-topic/, not censoring anyone it is just a bit too off topic.

MikeTheVapeDude said:

Is there anything major the DNA75 can do the DNA200 can't? That's the main thing I want to know, because I basically religiously run NiFe-30 and SS430 fused claptons in high wattage TC and I'd hate to miss out for the lack of wattage.

Not major, it is very similar to the 200 to operate, but I doubt it would suit you at those wattages. 75 W is a lot from a single cell, it dies a great job at getting the best from the battery, run time is good IMO. But if you are running 75 W preheat like I do at the lower end of the battery voltage that will throttle back because the sag from an 18650 and the run of the mill keystone battery sled we have in the beta units.  LiPos would will perform better in that respect and better battery contacts would also help.  I am just changing the battery now, it's a 25R and I got a good vape all the way down to 3.25 V, longer drags toward the end as the preheat was not as powerful.  Obviously if you were using in power mode it would totally depend on when you battery sage hit the threshold under load, that's just the physics of batteries.  They will continue to optimise this so don't take what I wrote as set in stone.

My main wonder with the DNA75 is the fact it's went from the high efficiency of a buck-only system rated at 97% to a boost-buck system. So has the DNA75 lost ANY efficiency over the 200 due to this change? I know Evolv is, very capable. I just know that in general, both through career experience and use experience that buck-only systems tend to have a much higher efficiency. I'm not saying it's impossible with a buck/boost DC-DC converter, but, it is a thought. I know with a single cell, even 75-80W can be pushing it. Batteries do wonderful things like sag and then there's drop on the mod, and since the HCigar DNA75 is seemingly meant to be used with high internal resistance 26650's I figured the battery sag off of a single cell 26650 setup would definitely limit the wattage at around 75-80W on a buck/boost system if it was still expected to be efficient and affordable.

I have an intimate understanding of electronics thanks to my education and career as an engineer, but when it comes to software, programming, the etc's of such, I'm up to speed but I'm not way up there like the people who are programming these boards are. So I'm not entirely familiar with how one would go about programming a board like this, I could easily imagine how the board was made in relation to its idea of use on the electronics end, but past that my knowledge is pretty limited. This is why I was asking. My worry with a single cell mod is, with a cutoff of, 2.9V I assume, maybe 3V, that once you got down to the 3.4V range if you were at a higher setting, like 60W plus, it'll sag past the cutoff and create issues. I'm not a big fan of single battery mods, both due to a lack of power capability and how hard single cells get strained in devices. I'm really glad to see Evolv didn't release a single battery 100W device like some companies are doing, you can always count on Evolv to do the right thing.

As you say there is no way for it to match the 97% efficiency of the 200 step down conversion the spec sheet has the efficiency at 85%, but I get good run time from it considering.  Not sure what the cut off is off hand, maybe 2.5, 2.6 V under load.  There is no such thing as a free lunch and 18650 only have so much usable power, but they are not the only battery option although they will probably be the most popular.

To be honest I prefer 18650's due to the generally lower internal resistance they have, 26650's seem to be re-wrapped to hell, there's not many genuine 26650 brands out there, so you end up with all these '50A' 26650's that are 20-25A batteries that have a considerable IR.

85%, damn, that's quite a hit. I well expected it to be lower, buck on a three cell with Evolv's known precision is going to give results at the higher end of the spectrum, but 85% is quite a hit in efficiency. That's still pretty good though. The cut-off voltage having a lower charge under load is wonderful to hear about, especially since it's a single cell device. Most mods keep the VCoff at the 18650 general cutoff of 2.9-3.1V.

I was thinking LiPo and dual 18650 for the more power hungry.   I think that is just the min efficiency and it is probably a lot higher in many parts of the range, it certainly doesn't feel like a battery eater in daily use.  BTW the soft cut-off is set to 2.75 V in EScribe, I was just guestimating from dm plot before.