DNA 60

Brandon

Evolv is proud to announce our new DNA 60 board. It is a DNA 40 sized board with the added functionality of EScribe. The boards are available now in extremely limited quantities to enable our customers to have products on the market before the FDA August 8th deadline. Because of component lead times, volume availability is not expected until October of 2016. As a result customers will be limited to 1 board per device that they plan to release plus one board as a spare.

Attached is a solid model of the board. It is largely the same dimensions as the DNA 40 with the following exceptions.

-The inductor on the back of the board is 4mm high like the DNA 20 & 30 not 3.5mm like the DNA 40.

-The fire button is the green fire button from the DNA 75 & 200 not the 3.1mm tall button from the DNA 40.

-The adjust buttons are new, taller and clickier than the previous buttons but still waterproof.

- The board has 5 through holes on the bottom for data and charger. Our 1 amp charger has been updated to include USB data pins.

Individual quantity pricing is as follows:

$59.99 with charger
$49.99 without charger

DNA60.pdf

DNA_60.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Brandon said:

Evolv is proud to announce our new DNA 60 board. It is a DNA 40 sized board with the added functionality of EScribe. The boards are available now in extremely limited quantities to enable our customers to have products on the market before the FDA August 8th deadline. Because of component lead times, volume availability is not expected until October of 2016. As a result customers will be limited to 1 board per device that they plan to release plus one board as a spare.

Attached is a solid model of the board. It is largely the same dimensions as the DNA 40 with the following exceptions.

-The inductor on the back of the board is 4mm high like the DNA 20 & 30 not 3.5mm like the DNA 40.

-The fire button is the green fire button from the DNA 75 & 200 not the 3.1mm tall button from the DNA 40.

-The adjust buttons are new, taller and clickier than the previous buttons but still waterproof.

- The board has 5 through holes on the bottom for data and charger. Our 1 amp charger has been updated to include USB data pins.

Individual quantity pricing is as follows:

$59.99 with charger
$49.99 without charger

I have a 60 up and running, and for some reason the vape just isn't the same as a 40, or even 75/200.  It's pulling the exact same voltage/amps, at 22 watts (so wiring isn't the issue), with the same tank/battery swapped over as well.  Is there some reason as to why the 60 just isn't quite as "smooth" as a 40?  Again, same tank/coil, battery, etc. The flavor isn't as good either!

turbocad6 said:

the dna60 will work fine without the usb, you could also temporarily connect it to upload and program it, then leave it stand alone. I think the small screens will be soldered on, the connector pitch is wrong for the zif sockets used in the detachable screens

I've even considered having a 4s balance lead wired up to the 60 for the USB, given the mod is easily accessible.  Then wiring a male 4S tap to the USB.  You could then get away without having to mount/cutout the USB in a mod, yet be able to have the USB/tap to quickly plug into the female tap wired to the board for escribe.  This is a last resort/another option if you for your application the USB won't fit or you don't want to mount it.  Keep in mind then you'd have the USB w/ tap to look after (not lose).  

greenj22 said:

I have a 60 up and running, and for some reason the vape just isn't the same as a 40, or even 75/200.  It's pulling the exact same voltage/amps, at 22 watts (so wiring isn't the issue), with the same tank/battery swapped over as well.  Is there some reason as to why the 60 just isn't quite as "smooth" as a 40?  Again, same tank/coil, battery, etc. The flavor isn't as good either!

How about a screenshot in Device Monitor while firing the 60.....  showing relevant data on the graph.....  thx

greenj22 said:

I've even considered having a 4s balance lead wired up to the 60 for the USB, given the mod is easily accessible.  Then wiring a male 4S tap to the USB.  You could then get away without having to mount/cutout the USB in a mod, yet be able to have the USB/tap to quickly plug into the female tap wired to the board for escribe.  This is a last resort/another option if you for your application the USB won't fit or you don't want to mount it.  Keep in mind then you'd have the USB w/ tap to look after (not lose).  

I considered the same but once you take into account that the usb module really doesn't take that much more space than a connector it's just easier to mount the usb and be done with it if at all possible

retird said:

How about a screenshot in Device Monitor while firing the 60.....  showing relevant data on the graph.....  thx

Here you go.  All seems to look ok to me in DM, but maybe I'm missing something......The 60 just doesn't vape the same under replicated function with a DNA 40.  Idk....
DNA60DeviceM.png 

DNA60DeviceM.png

turbocad6 said:

I considered the same but once you take into account that the usb module really doesn't take that much more space than a connector it's just easier to mount the usb and be done with it if at all possible

Yeah - true.  The only exception would be when you are able to just "tuck" the tap inside the mod....that way you can have more flexibility where you run the 5 lines and also if you can't route the lines where you would like or fit a USB where you would like.  Under those circumstances, it would be better than having the USB inside the mod (no external port/access), for shorts, etc.  Again - a solution for very unique circumstances.  Maybe it could also work for people whom want to retrofit a VS with 2 amp charging.  They could just run the two lines for +/- to the VS charge board and then have a tap inside.  That way they could have the 2 amp charging still, not have to mess with the VS USB, and still have access to Escribe.  Yet again - another option for some under special circumstances.  Otherwise, mounting the Satellite USB is optimal of course.

On a side note, I wonder if you could just take a separate Evolv 1 amp USB or TP4056 and wire it in parallel with the Evolv Satellite USB for 2 amps...?  Sounds doable.....I think...

greenj22 said:

Here you go.  All seems to look ok to me in DM, but maybe I'm missing something......The 60 just doesn't vape the same under replicated function with a DNA 40.  Idk....

It's normal that the 60, 75,200, 250 vapes differently from the DNA40.  I noticed it in TP mode and one reason is the preheat feature of the newer boards.  Just adjust the 60 to your liking and enjoy.... I kinda relate it this way:  My 2010 vehicle and my 2016 vehicle are the same manufacturer and have same similar equipment but drive differently and gas mileage is different....

EDIT:  A very well known "modder" spent some time comparing the DNA40 vape to the 200.  She came up with a setting on the 200 that closely mimics the 40.  Here is what she came up with:

For a DNA40 vape:
Set Preheat at 45W
Set Punch at 5

retird said:

It's normal that the 60, 75,200, 250 vapes differently from the DNA40.  I noticed it in TP mode and one reason is the preheat feature of the newer boards.  Just adjust the 60 to your liking and enjoy.... I kinda relate it this way:  My 2010 vehicle and my 2016 vehicle are the same manufacturer and have same similar equipment but drive differently and gas mileage is different....

EDIT:  A very well known "modder" spent some time comparing the DNA40 vape to the 200.  She came up with a setting on the 200 that closely mimics the 40.  Here is what she came up with:

For a DNA40 vape:
Set Preheat at 45W
Set Punch at 5

That's a good analogy.  It's true - I'll likely be able to go in and tune the board a bit more and am just expecting it to plug/play and vape like it's predecessor.  It's a great chip though, no doubting that.  I'll give it a shot.  

• 1 month later...
retird said:

For a DNA40 vape:
Set Preheat at 45W
Set Punch at 5
Also, as an update after running 60's for a few months - they are fantastic little chips. Truly amazing. Perfect balance of functionality/technology and form factor.