Hotcig DX200 stopped working after less than 2 days use.

Ramrod

Received the mod Friday afternoon.

Charged the battery with provided RC charger and noticed the battery meter wasn’t showing full. Installed EScribe and loaded updated firmware then entered the correct battery specification 10 WH 3-cell LiPo which corrected the battery meter.

Mod worked fine that evening and all day Saturday.
Charged via USB overnight.
Sunday morning the mod worked fine for about an hour and then just stopped working altogether.
Blank screen, won’t fire, won’t connect to PC.

I’ve checked:

Battery is 80% charged and all cells are showing correct voltages at the main connector and the battery balance connector.
On-board Fuse continuity OK & Battery Voltage is present beyond the fuse.
Good continuity from 510 threads to battery –ve and output –ve (via mod body and screw in standoffs)
Visually I cannot see any burned up components.

The mod seems very well constructed so it would appear I have a failed board.
It is a simple 3 wire installation using the case as ground.
Mod serial number is 0013.
IIRC EScribe reported the board DOM as June 2015.

Anything else I should check before making a warranty claim through the vendor?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about buying one of those, because they were having a promo, but am not familiar with Hotcig and haven't heard anything about them. 1.) Other than the bad board, does it seem like a reliable build? 2.) How do the tanks look on it? Reason I'm asking is because it looks like the 510 protrudes a little bit, which gave me some concerns. 3.) what keeps the unit together? Magnets? Notches?

IMO it is really well built.
The 510 protrudes but not higher than the top of the 22 mm atomizer well set into the top of the mod.

The battery holds firmly to the power module by magnets at the top and the battery connectors at the bottom.

My only concern regarding construction is that the 510 does not appear to be sealed, but adding an o-ring of the correct size will sort that out.

Another member has posted some pictures in https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/65689-topic/?do=findComment&comment=889270 which show the internals.

The 510s negative connection I'd have in question, it's been my only concern as I have one of the Hotcigs too. I originally intended to change out the 510 connector but didn't find need after opening the device up.
I've personally been running below spec just to see if anything goes South early on, 0.04 ohms resistance coil but only pushed at 30 watts so far. This has been in an effort to see how the questionable negative contact at the 510 would hold. 
Pics for reference.
[IMG_20150927_215447_zps92xjftxj] 
[IMG_20150927_105315_zpskbcy6jxl]
Hotcig #0113

Re 510: I measured the voltage between the battery negative and base of atty (0.35?) while firing and got 0.14 volts on my Hotcig and 0.03 volts on my Opus. I made up a little puller to pull the pressed in one out to replace with a FD v3 shorty. The hold back for me is possible need of warranty and it works just fine.

I would rather used a 7 x .50 mm bolt but I only have the tap. Screw nut onto the tap as shown, then washer, then receiver and screw into 510. Hold tap from turning and screw nut downward drawing 510 into nylon sleeve. My nut here is a VS rDNA 510 with it's one end drilled out. Crude but effective.
[image] 

dwcraig1 said:

I would rather used a 7 x .50 mm bolt but I only have the tap. Screw nut onto the tap as shown, then washer, then receiver and screw into 510. Hold tap from turning and screw nut downward drawing 510 into nylon sleeve. My nut here is a VS rDNA 510 with it's one end drilled out. Crude but effective.
[image] 

So, I'm confused, did you replace the 510 it came with? If so, do you have pictures?

What he has posted is known as a pulling tool, the washer sits on top of the cylinder that has a larger inner diameter than the existing 510 connector, the thread tap or preferred bolt as mentioned runs through the washer and the cylinder and tightens into the threads in the connector, then the nut on the bolt/tap is tightened. This tightening will pull the press fit connector out. Yes he replaced his 510 connector and this was the means he used to remove the original 510 connector.
You're likely going to want a thread tap to install a new connector, it looks tight for a locking nut in there!

Thanks for the post dwcraig1!

I remember reading the the spec for using the mounting points as the ground included using a special coating on the bare metal to reduce oxidation, and I don't even see bare metal on the mod. Maybe strip the paint/anodizing or whatever off at the contact points, and applying noalox, no-ox-id a, or nyogel will make a better ground. But I doubt that's what broke the mod....then again....maybe....

This is my first post on here so be gentle.

I just received my DX200 and when I plug in the AC charger the red light just blinks like crazy (is that normal) and when I try to charge through USB the battery stays empty (doesn't show the lightening icon in the battery).

Am I doing something wrong? Do I have a bad mod? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Mad Scientist said:

Vaping Bad, is something else wrong too? Cell three at 4.59V. I haven't broken any of mine (yet lol) so not familiar with failure modes but would guess the voltage divider for reading the cell taps is toast in some way?

I didn't notice that, good point and it may be best to return the mod.