Hotcig DX200 stopped working after less than 2 days use.

Ramrod

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The charger is correctly detecting a faulty battery or broken balance wire. Assuming the mod is accurately reading the cell Voltages then the battery IS effectively DEAD. DO NOT under any circumstances attempt to "recovery charge" a LiPo cell that is discharged to 0 Volts without learning a LOT more about LiPo batteries. Any decent charger won't let you unless you cheat and set it to the wrong battery type, and if you could then A FIRE is the most likely result. An explosion is also a distinct possibility. Even assuming you were successful that cell will have been damaged and the battery will constantly try to go out of balance. For the price of fitting a replacement battery why take such risks. If you don't understand something so commonly known to be dangerous VapingBad why would you give any advice at all regarding the battery. If you do understand the dangers then you should realise that it is not the sort of advice to give out randomly without any warnings.

Ramrod said:

The charger is correctly detecting a faulty battery or broken balance wire. Assuming the mod is accurately reading the cell Voltages then the battery IS effectively DEAD. DO NOT under any circumstances attempt to "recovery charge" a LiPo cell that is discharged to 0 Volts without learning a LOT more about LiPo batteries. Any decent charger won't let you unless you cheat and set it to the wrong battery type, and if you could then A FIRE is the most likely result. An explosion is also a distinct possibility. Even assuming you were successful that cell will have been damaged and the battery will constantly try to go out of balance. For the price of fitting a replacement battery why take such risks. If you don't understand something so commonly known to be dangerous VapingBad why would you give any advice at all regarding the battery. If you do understand the dangers then you should realise that it is not the sort of advice to give out randomly without any warnings.

Your clearly superior knowledge and intellect far beyond us plebs has won you a free assessment and Ebook: http://www.dalecarnegie.com/mobile/ebook/communicate-with-diplomacy-tact-assessment/ Congratulations! (P.S. -- I guess we're all guilty of tactlessness from time to time) (P.P.S. -- A 0 cell reading coupled with a 4.59V cell reading for a pack presumably not on fire at the moment leads me to believe there's more going on than the pack and perhaps it's not the pack at all. I freely admit I don't know exactly what that more is.)

Wow! I just considered the updated of the firmware as something that should be done first thing, than I took it apart to get a good look at the inside before I put power to it. I've ended up with enough BS Chinese product it's just the way I do things. Well and my close association with Murphy just causes me to be a bit skeptical of other peoples work. 

It's screwed the Chinese manufacturers are causing negative interests for the DNA 200, it's an awesome product. 

Edit: If they don't come out with battery packs at a reasonable price pretty soon mine's getting hacked.

Hi I am new here. Thanks for a great forum with a lot helpfull post.
I am getting one of these Hotcig DX200 too.

And it seems that it may be a good idea to get a fat daddy 510 and one of the evolv batteries.

I have never done any modding, but I will have a look when it arrives.

Consider this an opinion of an arm chair engineer which it really is.
I don't consider the construction the DX 200 to be stable for the long haul, it's not bad or at least mine isn't.

Expansion and contraction of dissimilar metals along with galvanic response taken into account, yes,  I personally say go for the 510 swap but find yourself a copper center pin that's silver, gold or rhodium plated would likely be the best direction to take. 
Hotcig didn't leave much room for a locking nut so thread tapping of the 510s hole and some creative work with a locking nut and better terminal ring than most 510s come with would be suggested and a little Nolox would be a good idea too. 

Removal of any coatings where the terminal ring would make contact would be suggested as well.

The harder you push the device the more important I would consider the 510 swap to be. 

Jentz9517 said:

Mine is tilted very slightly forward- They are press fit in- I just now sent Hotcig 41.80 shipped for another battery and enclosure also The one I have is ok but want to swap when needed if you find a good 510 like the fat daddy short and tap it in let us know how it works Thanks

Where exactly did you go to purchase an extra battery enclosure? I can't seem to find what I am looking for...

Jentz9517 said:

Was just informed they can't ship battery and enclosure separately since it doesn't have the component it runs Dhl returned package to him - So we are screwed

That doesn't make sense. It would be no different than shipping a battery by itself, right?

digatel said:

[QUOTE=Jentz9517]Was just informed they can't ship battery and enclosure separately since it doesn't have the component it runs Dhl returned package to him - So we are screwed

That doesn't make sense. It would be no different than shipping a battery by itself, right? [/QUOTE] I think the regulations are different for flying batteries versus flying batteries in a device. Doesn't make a lot of sense but the people who write the regs aren't engineers and sometimes the regulatory process leads to compromises that just don't make sense.

I justved my Hotcig and updated software to the version made on the 25 june I hope that is the latest.
All tre cells show 3.74, so looks good i think.

I am now charging it and want to know if there is anything you guys can suggest I do before using it?

EDIT. There was also a short extension cable to the charger, so the battery kan stand properly when charged.

My Hotcig DX200 is performing 100% no problems what so ever, but I have also written to this Bennett about a spare battery and I live in China, so no problem just sending a battery, but have not heard back from him.

For people who may be interested in this mod
GB have it now to only $ 113.00 with free shipping

http://www.gearbest.com/temperature-control-mods/pp_235371.html

as I wrote before when I received mine the battery cells where all on 3,72 so very very good.
This is my first mod with the Evolv chip and i love ittttttt.

Jentz9517 said:

Update: Bennett was able to find shipper for spare battery to U.S. And even threw in a dripper- Gotta say even with the back/forth emails he went above and beyond my expectations and never once left an email unanswered. Good job Hotcig

That's great news! Keep us posted...

Jentz9517 said:

Update: Bennett was able to find shipper for spare battery to U.S. And even threw in a dripper- Gotta say even with the back/forth emails he went above and beyond my expectations and never once left an email unanswered. Good job Hotcig

I also have a spare battery in the mail. great guy this Bennett

edit.

today I received my spare battery to the Hotcig DX 200.  It came with the 3 cells on 3.9, so they now ship good batteries. and now it have DX200 printed on the battery.

For the people who have a Hotcig mod or are currently talking with them, if you have any info on what specific brand/make and model of cells they are using please feel free to PM me or post it here. 

We are happy to assist with board issues, etc however it is impossible for us to stock such a massive range of lipos. I am working to compile a list of various mods, their lipo cells, brand, and where to source replacements other than direct. This way I can provide as much info to anyone who contacts us as we want to be as helpful as possible.

Just got my DX200, Updated the firmware to the latest via Escribe, the device Monitor show each cell around 1.74v and the pack at around 4.7v, plugging it into a USB charger from my Samsung Mobile and I have the charge display set to show amps being used and its showing 000A, does not appear to be charging, so i have plugged in the supplied charger to see if an hour or so on it will bring the battery to charge...