Escribe - device monitor issue

Damob9k

Hi All,

I have just bought my first DNA device - A LV Therion 166, after having another cheap mod start to go iffy ! ... love the Therion :)

First (of many) silly questions :

When I try to use the device monitor, and fire the mod, I get a "Check Battery" message on the mod screen.
If I re-press the fire button another 2 times, it then fires correctly and I can see and monitor what it is doing.

This happens on both computers I have Escribe installed on, both are Win 10.
As far as I know i'm using the latest version : 1.2 SP5.2 
I've seen this mentioned on this forum, but there was no solution given.

For clarity, when it's unplugged it never gives this error.

Any ideas ?

Many thanks

Damian

Hi dwcraig1,

No, but I'm using two different cables, 1 at work and 1 at home which is a very high quality one i bought not too long ago.
I will try another cable later when I'm back at home.
Also as an aside, I'm using the USB2 ports that go directly into the motherboard on the back of my PC, and not USB3 ports as I have experienced issues before with plugging certain devices into them.

Cheers
Damian

Hi ChunkyB,

My batteries are pretty low at the moment, 11%, but on idle they both show 3.33
When i press the fire button and get the "Check Battery" error the voltages for both cells drops to 3.12 briefly then back up to 3.23 then in a jaggered fashion back to 3.33.

But I do get this error with fully charged batteries as well, actually all the time regardless of what batteries and charge state.

I'll swap the batteries later and do a test and screen dump if that helps ?

Many thanks

Damian

Just changed my batteries, then plugged the Therion into my USB cable, then had a thought ... does it come up with the error when the EScribe software is not even loaded ... answer YES !
So it has nothing to do with the software, must be hardware related ?

Damob9k said:

Hi ChunkyB,

My batteries are pretty low at the moment, 11%, but on idle they both show 3.33
When i press the fire button and get the "Check Battery" error the voltages for both cells drops to 3.12 briefly then back up to 3.23 then in a jaggered fashion back to 3.33.

But I do get this error with fully charged batteries as well, actually all the time regardless of what batteries and charge state.

I'll swap the batteries later and do a test and screen dump if that helps ?

Many thanks

Damian

Just changed my batteries, then plugged the Therion into my USB cable, then had a thought ... does it come up with the error when the EScribe software is not even loaded ... answer YES !
So it has nothing to do with the software, must be hardware related ?

that's what I thought. Check battery, in this case, means one of your cells is hitting your cell soft value. (What do you have input for your CSC?) Also, what brand/mah cells are using? Post a screenshot of device monitor. Firing the device with only cell 1 and cell 2 boxes ticked.

Hi, I noticed you have another thread about your issues with 316L. I too had almost the same identical issues with my Therion 166...SS TC issues & the crazy voltage spikes like you have here...I got away from SS & haven't had the voltage issue since. Have you tried a different wire type yet? Mine would do the same thing...crazy spikes for awhile & then would clear up...CB helped me on that one as well...you can see some of the screenshots I posted here...https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/66033-topic/

Hi giz_60

I actually switched to TC about 4 months after I started vaping, 16 months ago now ! 
And I have been using titanium exclusively.
I've only just this week bought a reel of SS316L to try, just because I read that it was much easier to build nice coils with, I have always used a mandrel for coiling, but have to say that my eyes are starting to struggle focusing at that distance and I wanted to give a coil jig a go, but it wouldn't work with my titanium wire as it was way too springy.

I have 3 in use attys - Goblin Mini V3, Augvape Merlin Mini and the Snapdragon, the Goblin & Merlin have my standard titanium build (dual coil,twisted 28awg) and work perfectly in TC, as did the Snapdragon when using titanium.

The issue I'm having in the Device Monitor actually happens with all of my attys, so I'm not sure it's necessarily related to the SS issue, but I could be wrong ! 

I'll post up some screen shots of my SS settings on the other post, just got to finish off making some juices, cook - eat :)

Cheers

Damian

the reason it will eventually fire is because after so many times of pressing the fire button, the board actually does fire atty for a split second before triggering the weak batt message. it has to do it this way to determine whether or not to display the error. you're basically warming up the coil to a point where the board doesn't need to draw much current to maintain your set temp, if that makes sense.

it sounds to me like there is a poor connection somewhere between the cells and the board. whether it's contacts or wiring or soldering related, can't say.

the nitty gritty - the board is asking for certain amount of power from the cells. it's not getting it, something's in the way. 

Hi ChunkyButt200,

I've done a bit more playing :- see my other post about SS316 TC 
https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/65876-topic/?do=findComment&comment=891797

But on top of trying a different coil\atty setup, I have also tried a set of LG batteries to rule out the Samsung's.

Things got even weirder, I got the temp reading back on the device monitor, but only after repeated presses, but the temp reading shot down to minus 50 or so when the mod actually fired up !
Also after I disconnected the mod, it was totally unresponsive until I removed the batteries and re-inserted them.

From what your saying and my test, it does sound like something is very wrong >:( which is a shame since i've only had the Therion for about 2 weeks.

It looks like the Lost Vape Repair centre is for US customers only, so I guess I'll have to contact the company i bought it from.

Thanks for all of your help.

Cheers

Damian

Thanks Guys for the responses.

I'll answer to all:

@retird Yes pretty much, disconnected from USB,pulled out the 30Q's and put a set of HE 2's LG ? - the brown ones ! .. plugged USB back in, fired up EScribe & Dev Mon , same result.

@giz_60 - OK cool i'll drop them an email .. I don't do FaceBook (don't get me started on that!) Thanks :)

@dwcraig1 - hmm hadn't thought of that ! I'm at work now, so will have a dig around to find a decent one, I have one in my draw but it's only 750 mA
And yes it's displaying an error when plugged into a USB cable - PC

Cheers

Damian

Update:

So tried dwcraig1's suggestion, found an Apple USB charger with 2.3A output, plugged in the Therion with the Merlin tank with a newly built single SS316L coil, 0.31ohms, fired 6-7 times correctly with only 1 instance of the "Check Battery" error ! 
Plugged it back into my laptop, and ran EScribe - Dev Mon .. all good !
Had to nip off for ten mins, came back tried it again .... "Check Battery" grr , plugged it back into the Apple charger ... "Check Battery"
So the only conclusion I can make is that no conclusions can be made from any of these tests !! o.O  Which I suppose does point more towards an iffy connection or something in the device.

I will email Lost Vape and see what they say.

Cheers
Damian

i've seen this only once before here. i forget what the guy did to fix it or even if he was able to fix it. i can't find his post anywhere. i think he ended up RMA'ing the board. maybe try re-installing the firmware. re-installing the factory lost vape therion 166 settings as well. you also get the check batt message while plugged in to charge, if you try and vape it? if yes, there could be a problem with the charging circuitry. if you set your USB current to 0 in device monitor, does the error still display while connection to EScribe?

Hi ChunkyButt200,

I have an update : see on my other post regarding SS316 https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/65876-topic/?do=findComment&comment=891802

B
ut basically I have done a service pack re-flash, and now the mod is NOT showing "Check Battery" when firing it whilst in the Device Monitor !!

Not entirely sure what is going on, but it seems to be working better !

Thanks for your help again. 
Cheers
Damian

PS I hope you enjoyed your pizza :D