Voltage readout

I like to know the voltage output of my mod for the selected wattage. Particularly on my 133 devices that have the 6 volt limit. I can configure escribe to show that on the left side but it only displays during live fire, which of course I can't see while vaping. It just shows 0.00 while idle. I'd like to see this changed (or a new option added) that shows the Ohms Law calculated voltage for the given wattage.

While vaping you can see the voltage in EScribe (note it changes while vaping).  As you know, while you vape, the voltage, wattage, and ohm's of the coil normally varies for many reasons.  The DNA in TP mode does this to give you the best vape at the temp setting you want.  Even if your request was added, the voltage reading would only be as you said, a calculated number, and would not be accurate. As an example some folks set their wattage to maximum (say 250 watts) and let the device adjust to reach the requested temperature (say it needed only 50 watts).  So they never need the max wattage thus the voltage calculation would be useless. 

kbriggs said:

It would be accurate for wattage mode, which is the only context I am referring to.

Oh, you are only referring to wattage mode...... OK..... since in wattage mode I think you can just fire the mod while not vaping and see the voltage.  Wicking, air flow, fluctuation of coil ohm's and etc. don't matter as it's going to fire the wattage you have set and show the related voltage using adequately charged batteries...

So your suggestion is to add an Ohm's calculator into the firmware only for wattage mode....

retird said:

I think you can just fire the mod while not vaping and see the voltage.

Yes, but I don't want to fire without pulling air through as that risks charring the wick. It make take several seconds to settle in on the final voltage, depending on the profile. I want to see the target voltage as I'm adjusting the wattage instead of just showing 0.00. I'm not good at calculating the square root of W*R in my head and shouldn't have to lug around a calculator just for that.

So your suggestion is to add an Ohm's calculator into the firmware only for wattage mode....

Yes, just like every other chip does it now and has for years.

They make Ohm's Calculator apps for cell phones.... Android and iOS.... and they are free....

Target voltage you are wanting would only be a calculation and not exactly accurate I'm thinkin'....

The DNA isn't like any other chip.... never has been.....thank goodness.... :thumb:

retird said:

They make Ohm's Calculator apps for cell phones

They don't make one that will read my mod screen and show me the voltage as I'm adjusting the wattage up and down.

And speaking of that. If while adjusting the wattage (on a DNA 167 mod, for example) and you happen to hit the 6.2 volt limit before hitting the 167 watt limit, the wattage indicator should stop incrementing right there because anything more will never get there. And if I'm wondering why my 167 watt device won't allow me to go any higher, I'll see the voltage indicator is reading 6.20 (instead of 0.00 as it does now) and I'll know.

It's really pretty simple...no calculator needed...set your device to the max wattage you desire & vape...if it cant maintain that wattage, it will give the most wattage possible with the voltage left in the batteries....the DNA does all the math for ya...if you are trying to constantly figure the target voltage, then you are going to be constantly adjusting your wattage, due to battery drain from usage...set it & forget it...at some point, you will need to swap out batteries anywho's

You are missing that all Evolv boards, DNAs, Kick and Darwin are true power regulated mods that don't measure the resistance, then set the volts to provide the watts like many sudo VW boards, which are really VV under the surface.  They work in watts, they regulate in watts and since the introduction of VW that is what most vapers want to know because they have used more than one resistance in the last 7 years, it is a far more useful number than V.   If you are shooting for a particular V number you only have to work out the volts once, or just use watts like most people.

The DNA's as you know were built with much safety features and Temp Protection was the main reason for the DNA's of today (starting with the DNA40 I think).  When I use a coil in wattage mode I know ahead of time what the wattage I want is, the ohm's of the coil, and the voltage required, and if the device is capable of delivering it... from our conversation it seems that you know what voltage is required for the coils you use also...

Your suggestion may bring about some discussion and Evolv has done a lot of things to update the boards, the firmware, the software, and etc. since a lot of folks over time have wanted something more.... Thru Evolv's market leading patented technology and their R&D that's how we got to where we are today and the 133 and 167 came about as a result of folks requesting them...so if there are a lot of folks requesting what you want it might come about too.... that's Evolv's call to make....and they are ALWAYS working on new and better stuff.... so it is only going to get even better.... :thumb:

giz_60 said:

It's really pretty simple...no calculator needed...set your device to the max wattage you desire & vape...if it cant maintain that wattage, it will give the most wattage possible

If it can't maintain the wattage I set then I want to know it, and if that reason is because it will exceed the voltage limit, I want to know that also. Then I can make a more informed decision and possibly change my build. This would be a simple coding change that gives a little more information to the user without affecting how the device operates.

kbriggs said:

If it can't maintain the wattage I set then I want to know it, and if that reason is because it will exceed the voltage limit, I want to know that also. Then I can make a more informed decision and possibly change my build. This would be a simple coding change that gives a little more information to the user without affecting how the device operates.

Sorry you have lost me completely, it shows live watts.  Like my point above I have had a few other mods on the oscilloscope that just don't, the DNAs may not do the thing you want (not sure I understand what that is though), but they are honest.

As I said I am not exactly sure what your issue is, but if it is that the store you bought it from gave incorrect specs then that is misselling IMO and you beef is with them, by all means alert other people here if that is the case, but Evolv have no power to do anything about that.  I mean they tell the manufactures the specs, who tell the distributors, who tell the stores and I have seen wrong spec I guess from lazy cut and paste product listing, and similar errors in video reviews.  So they have no contractual or other relationship with the stores or reviewers to tell them to do this or that, they do publish the data sheets and provide this forum, I know few people will think to come here before buying, but...   I would be pissed if I bought something that didn't do what I thought, but I honestly don't think it was Evolv's fault. 
^If that is in fact your issue.^

VapingBad said:

Sorry you have lost me completely, it shows live watts.

All mods, including DNAs, have a watt limit and a volt limit. For example, the 2-cell DNA 250s have a 167 watt limit and a 6.2 volt limit and whatever hits first is where it stops. So if I have 0.50 ohm build, I can't get anywhere near 167 watts because it'll hit the 6.2 volt limit at 76.88 watts. So it would be super handy if (1) the wattage indicator would stop there so I don't waste time going higher and (2) the volt readout that I have configured to show on the left side would give me the V = sqrt(W*R) calculation while idle (instead of 0.00 as it does now) so that I could see how close I'm getting to that 6.2 limit.

VapingBad said:

As I said I am not exactly sure what your issue is, but if it is that the store you bought it from gave incorrect specs

That's a separate (although related) issue I addressed in the other topic. Here I'm asking for a simple feature change that would be trivial to implement in the firmware.

retird said:

@kbriggs....... just wondering what coil build you are using that runs so close to the max output voltage and at what wattage setting....

I have one particular dual clapton kanthal build (7-wrap 26g/36g, 0.52 ohm) in my Limitless Plus RDTA that I like at 85 watts. That's 6.65 volts and perfectly fine on my DNA 200 but a total fail on the 133 with its 6 volt limit.

kbriggs said:

I have one particular dual clapton kanthal build (7-wrap 26g/36g, 0.52 ohm) in my Limitless Plus RDTA that I like at 85 watts. That's 6.65 volts and perfectly fine on my DNA 200 but a total fail on the 133 with its 6 volt limit.

Thanks for the info and yes the build at that wattage isn't a good fit for the 133 or 167 but well fitted for a 200/250......  Having the calculated voltage on the display won't solve that.  Do you have any builds that you use on the 133 in TP, or in Wattage mode, that give you a great vape?

retird said:

Having the calculated voltage on the display won't solve that.

Understood but it's handy to see where I'm at at any given time. I have dozens of mods, RTAs and RDAs and I'm swapping them around and trying different builds at different wattages with different airflow configurations, etc.

Do you have any builds that you use on the 133 in TP, or in Wattage mode, that give you a great vape?

Yeah, I can build lower, and do. I was just giving an example of where it has occurred before.

• 6 months later...

He is JUST asking to let them see the volts without having to press fire... its not very difficult to understand

I don't know if writing on and old post is against the rules but i end up here looking in Google for a way to use my DNA in Voltage mode witch it seems to lack...

the reason is I like to vape 99% of the time at 4.0V and it will be fine and I think not so difficult to implement that no matter what build I put in the mod will be voltage ridged 

None of the DNA's (Darwin, Kick, Kick 2, 20, 30,40, 60, 75,133, 166, 200 250) were ever designed to vape in voltage mode.  DNA's were designed first to be used in variable wattage mode and Temperature Protection mode came later.  All were designed around a safer and more consistant experience.  

I don't recall any present day new devices that can be vaped in voltage mode.... If you know of any I would like to see a review of them.....  thx

• Like 1

A lot of the users don´t vape in TC and buy DNA boards for their accuracy in Watts mode, adding a voltage mode or even just making the voltage directly showed in the screen without having to press the fire its not something that everyone is going to use that is pretty clear to me, but some could use it and the DNA boards will be more satisfying to some people. and that is good for everyone I think.