Yet another Bricked MOD. Will not turn on, USB plug sometimes wakes it up..

Bricker89

you guys make like the worst MODs. I've had Chinese clones for $18 that were more reliable. 4 of of the ~5 DNA mods I bought have BRICKED in no time, about 9-13 months and I don't use them much or abuse them or vape high temperatures etc, had to warranty all of them. I made many threads for help here (w another account lost log in info when windows 8.1 machine crashed). 

This one now have barely used in the past year, a ThinkVape Finder 250c triple 18650.

The only one that hasn't given me problems is my original DNA 75 HCigar VTC nano. 

This problem has happened before: batteries have power but press the buttons and nothing lights up, not in stealth mode either. Sometimes plugging the USB in wakes it up and the problem goes away for a while. This one will not. Warranty ran out a while ago but I've had evolv grant warranty for expired MODs before thankfully. 

The ONLY reason I really buy DNA is because I can safely USB charge them, I dislike having to remove batteries and charge separately. I fully charged these 3 genuine pink 18650s in a nitecore charger and it still won't wake up. I do appreciate small tweaks in escribe but these DNAs have been a problem, stick to making potato light bulb projects or something. 

Any suggestions to try and wake this mode up?

thanks

I purchased the following Evolv products.

OTHER (8)
x2 iTaste SVD2 DNA20
x4 Lost Vape Orion Pod Mod (40W Boost)
x2 Evolv Reflex

DNA40 (5)
x2 Hana One Modz DNA40 large screen
x2 HCigar HB40 DNA40 V5 small screen
x1 Vape.Tools Railbox DNA40 small screen

DNA60 (6)
x4 SXK Billet Box DNA60 w/USB
x1 XvoStick DNA60
x1 SXK Supbox DNA60

DNA75 (8)
x5 Kanger K1 DNA75
x2 Lost Vape Skar DNA75
x1 HCigar VT75 Inbox Squonk Kit DNA75 (Red)

DNA75C (12)
x4 Lost Vape Therion BF DNA75C
x1 HCigar VT75D DNA75C
x2 Lost Vape Mirage DNA75C - Black/Green Agate
x5 Dovpo Odin Mini DNA75C

DNA200 (15)
x5 HCigar VT133 DNA200
x2 HCigar VT200 DNA200
x2 Wismec Reuleaux DNA200
x4 Hotcig DX200 DNA200
x2 Lost Vape Triade DNA200

DNA250 (1)
x1 Wismec Reuleaux DNA250 Limited Edition

DNA250C (25)
x3 Lost Vape Paranormal DNA250C Standard Version
x3 Lost Vape Triade DNA250C (300W)
x2 Lost Vape Drone DNA250C
x2 Think Vape Finder DNA250C (300W)
x4 Lost Vape Centaurus DNA250C
x5 Dovpo Odin DNA250C
x4 Dovpo Top Gear DNA250C
x2 Dovpo Riva DNA250C

~~~
80 Total
~~~

None of them ever bricked on me. I sure like to know what you are doing with them.

• Like 3

maybe it's because I USB charge them? I asked that with my older account , but this one won't even turn on. It turned on fine the other day, said like %4 battery life, I plugged it in USB it light up, wasn't sure if I could see the little charging lightning bolt symbol in the battery box but then after that it hasn't turned on again. I didn't leak juice into it that I know of, especially since last plugging it in there wasn't even a tank on it and it's been just sitting on a shelf with no tank on it for months before this, in a cool room. 

Bill, that's a neat magnetic charger piece, I think I need one for my cell phone is sorta starting to go. The port on the mod seems fine, and I charged the cells to %100 in externals, but as mentioned sometimes it still needs the USB plug to wake it up so maybe the USB port IS dead.

Edited by Bricker89

yes, I tried doing Lost Password and have it emailed to me but the email I used for that account is expired, stupid mail.com (and pretty much every other email service these days) auto deletes accounts if not logged into for 6 months. The email I used for all my e cig forum stuff (vaping underground forum etc) was a burner email I made just to create accounts and I never logged back in - this is stupid in case someone is sick for a few months or something like that or goes on a long vacation or something they could loose their very important bank email or something like that, and one can beg for the account to be re opened but they'll keep saying there's nothing they can do. 

anyways, I guess next is I'll try opening the mod and cleaning with a tiny bit of gentle electronics cleaner?

I have a whole bunch of micro USB-to-USB chargers, some are barely used and not compromised,  and I use only UL listed wall adapters (UL and sorta CE are the reliable ones, kinda hard to buy separately on ebay/amazon compared to the popular cheaper ones that could potentially over power what they're supposed to do or cause fires etc.  

• Like 1

any suggestion how to actually fix this?

I didn't disassemble yet and unsure what that would accomplish, or which if any cleaner would be safe, mass air flow sensor cleaner for cars? electronics cleaner spray? % isopropyl?.

Wasn't dropped and doubt will find something disconnected.

Remember, plug into PC USB doesn't wake it up, so I can't do anything in eSCribe   

You are referring to your ThinkVape Finder 250c, right? Did you try connecting to EScribe without the batteries installed? One of my ThinkVape Finder 250c, the positive of the battery pack was pinched and after 3 hours of use, the wire shorted to ground (the batteries must have added just enough pressure on the insulation). I'm glad I noticed the batteries getting hot and I ejected them right away. The thickness of their wiring is too thin IMHO. So I wouldn't be surprised if there was an open or heaven forbid a short in the wiring. But I would check to see if EScribe sees it without batteries first.

• Like 1

thanks but plugging it in without batteries did nothing. 

I opened the whole thing and it's clean and all wiring looks fine. 

As I'm smoking a cigarette, anyone know of any other brands that are dual/triple 18650 that I can safely USB charge?! I'm sick of these DNAs breaking, this is like the 5th one.

I'll give it a shot if evolv will warranty this , they did it last time with a HCigar VT250s DNA200 which broke again or something and I had to resell it and hoped the DNA250C newest version would solve this BS. 

Make/Model of Device (ie EFusion DNA200): DNA250C
Manufacturer of Device (N/A if board only): Thinkvape Finder

thinkvape finder 250c bought from efun.top with paypal about a month ago received DOA.

this dna250c is not turning on with known-good cells. Plug it into usb gives CLOCK ERROR CLOCK ERROR 4% battery, Tried holding all button configurations, firing 20X etc does not turn on without USB but then can't even use it with %100 charged cells says 4% and only lets you cycle through kanthal/watts/replay etc

then, giving Check Battery when I fire, it only turns on if USB connected. I reset to default escribe.
escribe is set to 3 cell and all 3 show 0.00V.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

apparently this MOD was already serviced by warranty around Sept 2019 when I bought it from etopfun it was received dead on arrival. I barely used it at all since getting it back from evolv. I'll try to see if they can do something about this POS.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

good news cigarette juice, they sort of approved again my out-of-date warranty request but I'm paying shipping to and possibly fro just to hopefully learn what is going on, I hope their techs are interested too. They said they don't have boards to replace it anyway (no more 250Cs?), also said something like:

_____________________________________ _

'We haven't had any widespread issue with boards bricking, so something you are doing is causing this. I would be happy to look at the device, but due to lack of boards I cannot repair or replace the board in this device because it is out of warranty'

_____________________________________ _

I guess it's good that they haven't have widespread bricking issues but really I can't see what I've done wrong for several MODS that just decide to stop working. 

Also asked what I'm using for cords which is a good question but I have pretty much always been paranoid about e cigs and only use UL listed (safe) wall adapters, the usb are just non brand ebay chinese data/power cables though. For PC I have a TekRepublic TUH-3710 $50 (actually not ~$16 amazon/ebay commonly) USB 3 power hub w gold certified PSU. Nitecore external charges too which are supposed to be safe but I've had one of these brick and an xtar also and barely used them. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have the following DNA mods

Therien 75c, Therien 166, Haldrons v1 & V2, Paranormal 75c,HCIGAR VI75, Think vape auxo, 2x centaraus, thelema, Dovpo Riva (I know I know spelling). They all still work though the displays on the older ones have some issues. I have, at times, had similar  issues as described above with the auxo, both centarauses and, especially, the Riva. I put batteries in and hit the fire button however many times and nothing happens.  The Thelema has different issues as it drains the batteries when not in use and I can't connect it to my PC via the USB drive, Escribe won't recognize it.   My assumption was that the issue with not powering up is related to the hinged battery doors as I can typically get them to work by trying a dozen different sets of batteries. It sounds ridiculous but giving it a whack with my hand also gets it to turn on sometimes. Since your thinkfinder doesn't have a hinged door then perhaps it's not my batter doors or maybe we have different issues.  The Riva is the most stubborn and sometimes I cannot get it to power on no matter which batteries I try. It's driving me crazy how many mods this is happening to recently. The EXACT same thing happened to my Aegis x mod before I fixed it by using double sided tape underneath the contacts on the hinged door. I don't think I can do that on the Riva so if I can't DIY a fix I'll have to send it in. This is all kind of ridiculous considering how much these mods cost but I suppose much of the cost is the chip itself so maybe manufacturers are cutting corners elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/11/2021 at 7:24 AM, BillW50 said:

Do you ever use or toggle the power bank mode on?

Don't even know what that is. I use watts simple mode only. 

JOHN, what would battery door have to do with anything? Just contact issue as if it helps press the battery up? My ThinkVape Finder 250c triple 18650, the battery door does nothing in terms of battery contact, and cells are nice and snug and mod was never dropped and not used much. 

THIS I just messaged to evolv. Maybe this MOD goes as-is into the pile of stuff to sell online?

hi, got the mod back the other day, just trying to use it, wondering if you remember if it's fixed or bricked? when I put 3 genuine pink 3000mAh 3.7V 18650s in the mod, nothing happens when press fire. Plug to USB computer it says CLOCK ERROR CLOCK ERROR and like before always shows %4 battery even with fully charged cells. Escribe just picked it up unlike before you worked on it, so maybe I'll try resetting it in there? Any suggestion best way to reset in escribe?

Press fire nothing happens
Plug to USB and it turns on: CLOCK ERROR CLOCK ERROR %4
Press fire 5x to unlock , press fire again it says CHECK BATTERY

maybe it's the batteries? I don't have spare but can order right now.

I removed the batteries from my 250C and plugged in the USB and got the "check clock" message. Next unlocked it and fired and got the "check battery" message. Started EScribe and Device Monitor showed 0 voltage for the cells (as expected).

So I then proceed to look at some Youtube reviews for the ThinkVape 250C and notice they use a very large diameter positive contact for the batteries. I'm thinking that may very well be the problem here.

Take a really good look at the positive end of the batteries to see if this might be the case. A bad connection on just one would do it.

Another set of cells really needs to be tried here as it appears to me to be a battery connection problem and not a board problem.

Edit: The positive battery contact is so large that in some cases it may rest on battery insulator ring and wrapper instead of on battery positive.

• Like 2

Now that escribe sees your mod, start escribe, run Device Monitor, and do a full Screenprint (of DM) and post it here. I wanna see the individual cell voltages among other things.
Let me get this straight. You sent it back in again, knowing it was out of warranty and no boards anyway, expressly for them to diagnose their work done 2 years ago, and they didn't even reply/update the ticket with 'No fault found'? Many times the tech will write a comment or 'test fire' and put that in the board info. For that you can click the 'get info' button after starting up escribe.

On 9/18/2021 at 6:53 PM, Bricker89 said:

As I'm smoking a cigarette, anyone know ......................

I didn't really buy that when you've said 'The only one that hasn't given me problems is my original DNA 75 HCigar VTC nano' or one of your more reliable $18 Chinese clones ......... but whatever

• 3 months later...

I left the MOD just sitting since making these posts couple months ago. Just now put the 3 pink 18650s and it's working. %67 battery.
I downloaded the escribe old version 1.2 but it doesn't find the MOD. I plug USB and usually it pops up but even if I click Connect And Dowload settings, it says nothing is connected. 
I downlaoded the newer escribe and it found the MOD. 

Here's the screenshot. 

Wayne correct, the rep didn't reply in ticket or anything like 'no fault found'. I got the mod back in the mail and was surprised there was no follow up, that's why I asked if they remembered if it was fixed or what. 

dwcraig, excellent find if that's the reason.  I agree it looks like the positive terminals on this MOD are too wide which might bypass the positive nipple of the pink batteries which don't even stick out. 

-------------------------------------------

When i got it back from evolv, I was able to get it to wake up using the computer USB. I got it to vape after that (unsure if it was USB plugged or not) but I took the cells out for a couple days (afraid to leave it unattended with cells in it), and then it was back showing 4% battery (fully charged all 3 externally) and nothing worked.

A few day passed, I put the cells back in and it worked fine.  
I vaped it maybe 50 puffs over a few days, left it a couple days just sitting there and then it wasn't working again, usb woke it up, 'clock error' but it won't vape, unplugged USB and it won't wake up. It seems there's some sort of action that needs to reset it once this happens which might be from the one of the cells not touching the + terminal? 

Untitled.png