Battery Cell 2 Voltage, and Battery Capacity jumping around, loose wire?

JD910

Aannnndd I don't have a receipt or order confirmation for it so they won't help me. Like really, Drone's have been discontinued for how long now? Who keeps receipts or emails for that long? Guess I'll just have to fix it myself or get someone else to do it

Just as a test, can you select the battery type Power Supply in EScribe? You have to be using the manufacture's user interface to change battery type and pick a 9v power supply.

2020-11-15_093056.png.801d092854afaecb60ccc505727cb273.png

2020-11-15_092945.png.6c2b4bc02558c209e32f507cf8cb7621.png

You have to upload changes to device of course. If it works just fine now, I believe it is either the battery wiring or the Battery Management IC. If it is the latter, you might see one cell voltage being drained lower than the other. The mod and EScribe won't see cell voltages when selecting power supply. But the one cell draining would be happening now and drain one cell down to 0.5v in a day or so.

Edited by BillW50

22 minutes ago, JD910 said:

so change it to 9v, leave the batteries in and wait a day to see if one gets drained?

Yeah I only give it a few hours to see if a cell is dropping and check voltage with another mod or an external charger. Waiting a day one cell could be dead and worthless because the voltage dropped too low (I wouldn't charge a dead battery, just dispose it). The DNA also won't charge cells in power supply mode. And I wouldn't trust the voltage readings from that DNA250C until we know what is wrong.

Ah good. There is a wire on the battery sled that should be some other color besides black or red (white would be my guess). It connects to one cell on the positive and another wire going to the other cell's negative. And it also goes to the DNA board for balancing, reading cell voltages, and charging. Sounds like something not making connection with that wire IMHO.

• Like 1

The Drone is ran in series, with both positives and both negatives on together on opposite ends of the sled. I did take it apart to check for leaks when it first happened, although could not get the sled out completely without desoldering it. on the bottom of the board where the positive and negative wires are attached, there is a wire that looks like a faded red color, I'm assuming that is probably the balance wire.

As long as the faded red wire isn't connected to either the red or black. I just shined a 1000 lumen flashlight through the fake ultem and the bottom right sled has two wires soldered on to the tab. Looking through the plastic, it looks orange. But it could be very well faded red. Those are the wires you should check. One should go to the top left positive connection and the other one should go straight to the DNA board.

UPDATE: I just ohmed bottom right to top left and it is indeed a short on one of mine here. So that is correct.

Edited by BillW50