Charging 8 at a time

iambyrdman

I have 8 DNA 250C Setups and want to keep them all charged.  So I took 8 USB cables and spliced the Red and Black wires.  When I plug one into a Windows Machine it tells me something is connected but they do not charge.  Does the DNA board need 1 or more of the data lines?

I'd sell most any if you want one!  I don't need 8!!!

2020-01-28 09.03.42.jpg

2020-01-28 09.06.18.jpg

3 things here are wrong , 1 your computer wouldnt push more than 5 amps , 2 the wire wouldnt support more than 5 amps and 3 this is dangerous - what you need is a powered usb hub with at least 8 usb slots powered by your house hold plug and 8 separate usb leads you can also connect the hub to the computer but the hub is still going to be needed to be plugged in to the socket.

I'm using a 5 volt 20 Amp block I built and I didn't pug all 8 in at 1 time to test.  I just plugged 1 into a widows machine to see it would chime when I plugged it in to tell me a connection is being made.  As I said, it was but not charging, why?

Is that ok?  100 Watt charge block?  5 Volts at 2 Amps (10 watts) each when charging, right?  Thank you for your wisdom, I understand.

But anyway....

Back to the original question.  Does the DNA board need more than the red and black wire in a usb cord to charge? Yes or no is a good start...

52 minutes ago, drjohnson61 said:

I'm surprised it didn't blow the USB port or the entire motherboard! Unless they are built in LiPo, I would use a battery charger and I wouldn't use my PC to Charge, Just For Upgrading.

I only used the computer for 1 to see if it was connecting.  I built a 100 watt 5 volt box for this and other projects.

• Like 1

How did you determine it was not charging?  The 250C stays "asleep" while charging unless charging display is turned on in a theme, I think.  The USB connection, for Windoohs to see it, needs a data connection, not just power.  In any even fooling around with a PC USB port like you are is crazy.  Mobo or port can be too easily damaged.  Buy a multi-port wall war as has been suggested and forget the kludge of eight off a single USB connection.  A single USB port, on its best day, would smoke with the load to two 250Cs charging, let alone eight.  I'm a kludger, too, but wouldn't do that kind of kludge.

12 hours ago, iambyrdman said:

I only used the computer for 1 to see if it was connecting.  I built a 100 watt 5 volt box for this and other projects.

you are in danger of shorting the usb socket in your motherboard , or worse , the computer doesn't understand firstly that one usb cable leads to 8 devices because you need a usb hub , a powered one to be exact and also you need a data transfer compatible usb lead from all 8 mods to the computer , you cant just use any usb cable - but if this is what you intend to do or achieve buy the correct stuff to do it as i mentioned in my previous reply.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with most, if not everything.  Perspective is everything.  I really do try to use a different one every day.  I have 2 Paranormal 250Cs to add to the mix to make 10.  I had a set of 6 USBs that I lost, for some reason, don't even remember how now....  They don't all stay charged all the time, not by a long shot. And I use them for other stuff too.  At my bar I hang out at all day... Most have built in 21700 pairs without sleds, permanent like.  I have a 3D printer now, I should just print some sleds how I want them!

Thanks for all you wise insight and wisdom!  You are awesome, smart too...

Bought this for now, easy...

https://smile.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-60W-6-Port-Wall-Charger/dp/B0773K737F

• 2 weeks later...