silly question

jinx'd

ok, that's what I thought on both counts.

the reason I ask. I have a Visious Ant Primo Titanium 26650.  when using it at 50w, the battery cap gets momentarily  hot, enough to startle.

VA says this normal ! I'm like, NO, ITS NOT!  but it seems to be for this mod. as the cap was poorly designed.

VA and the guy I got it from tell me to run it at 40w and high resistance coil = bull chit.

I am thinking of a fix. otherwise it is what it is. 

I have a VA 21700 DNA75C Spade,  the battery cap and it's threads in the mod get oxidized quite easily.  I was cleaning them with alcohol and they would oxidize rather quickly again. A couple of days ago when I cleaned the I applied a tiny amount of Noalox to the mods threads.  It's too soon to know if this is going to work out but I suspect it will.

Take note as to if for sure it's the battery cap and not the battery that's getting hot.

A 26650 just isn't powerful enough for 100 watts, a 30 amp continuous 18560  or 2xxxx would be required.

For sure it sounds like high resistance at the battery cap.

this can is not threaded, it is push and turn. 

the battery does not get hot at all. I took a good hit, cap was hot. I took out the battery in like 1 second, and it was room temp right on the contact.

I am not a battery pro at all. but this battery is 40+ amp =seems plenty. but what do I know. and I don't need to vape at 75w, mostly 55-60. 

other than the heat the mod works just fine. 

ok, I just cleaned where the cap touchs the bottom, it was dirty. it better now, but not good. perhaps good enough, I will have to use it more  to see.

one thing I have noticed. the batt neg is convex, the cap contact is flat = very little contact. 

12 hours ago, jinx'd said:

... I am thinking of a fix.

What fix(es) are you thinking?

11 hours ago, dwcraig1 said:

A 26650 just isn't powerful enough for 100 watts, a 30 amp continuous 18650  or 2xxxx would be required.

^^^ This is gold ^^^. Actually Mooch currently does not even have any 26650 recommendations at all. And IMHO in your case I'd choose higher amperage over mAh, from a trusted store. 

12 hours ago, jinx'd said:

oh. if it says "watt boost" in the settings, then it has the firmware for it ?

Not necessarily, but probably. Check your theme or 'Device Monitor' for the Firmware info. You're looking for 'INT'

20 hours ago, dwcraig1 said:

clean the ramps on the side of the cap and the corresponding areas of the mod.

Did this problem start as soon as you received the mod or was it over time?

that's what I did, I didn't know they were called ramps.

I know I am the 2nd owner, I know the 1st owner well, online at least. and I may be the 3rd, or more, who really knows.

I wonder if VA would tell me who they sold it to, hmmm. 

Edited by jinx'd
brain damage

10 hours ago, Wayneo said:

What fix(es) are you thinking?

^^^ This is gold ^^^. Actually Mooch currently does not even have any 26650 recommendations at all. And IMHO in your case I'd choose higher amperage over mAh, from a trusted store. 

Not necessarily, but probably. Check your theme or 'Device Monitor' for the Firmware info. You're looking for 'INT'

the battery is convex, so only a very small contact is made, I can see it.  I have a lathe, so I made the contact on the cap concave..

also, I don't "know" how the copper contact is attached to the cap. if they didn't do it right = high resistance = high heat.

I am thinking to silver solder around the outside.

Mooch, yeah, I know = fakes. …. ok, so, I can run this mod with a known good 18650 ?  I can make a sleeve very easy.

ok, I will check soon. thanx

1 hour ago, dwcraig1 said:

Is there enough pressure against the battery to make a good connection? You might try adding a thin piece of copper between the cap and cell negative as a shim just to see if that makes any difference.

yes, it's tight.

loosening the cap is working, and working well. just turned back just a little. and I now have it at 65w with boost on.  I think there may be a bure or something in there. 

56 minutes ago, jinx'd said:

yes, it's tight.

loosening the cap is working, and working well. just turned back just a little. and I now have it at 65w with boost on.  I think there may be a bure or something in there. 

keep after it, you should find it. 

Try the copper shim, I'm pretty sure it's going to make a difference.

• 2 months later...