• Paranormal DNA 250C
  • Geek Vape Zeus dual coil
  • Advanced Vape Supply triple core fused clapton SS316L wire
  • ~.124 ohms
  • Set to 155w
  • Set to 440 degrees F
  • No punch
  • No preheat

These settings work very well for me.  It seems like most people use preheat but why?  Why not set the wattage high and let the chip back off the wattage when it gets to the correct temp?  

I also see people saying SS wire builds should have a higher resistance but I've used the same setup for months with no problems. 

756743148_Screenshot(12).thumb.png.6e4cfa806d54710ac8ff5469eafadba8.png

Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated, thanks. 

Edited by StockQuahog

What are the values of your coil(s)

diameter, wraps,...

1 hour ago, StockQuahog said:

It seems like most people use preheat but why?  Why not set the wattage high and let the chip back off the wattage when it gets to the correct temp?

Well, maybe because whe you use preheat you will not have the huge spike like in your diagram (Power and Voltage), so they don't stress their batteries like you do, which will result in longer lifetime for the batteries... its also safer if you don't stress your batteries over the recommended Ampere value (calculate it with an Ohms Law Calc).

Yes, maybe the chip throttles down, but I think its more intelligent to NOT to rely on the correct function of a chip to protect me from blowing up my batteries.

Also my mod will last longer over the day if I don't run it on 155 Watts but 50 instead.

As you see in the diagram, the 155 Watts only lasts for a very short time, so you are actually wasting energy and stress your batteries without reason when you could use preheat instead.

Or to quote your coil manufacturer:

**THIS IS AN ADVANCED ITEM THAT REQUIRES A GOOD UNDERSTANDING OF BATTERY SAFETY AND OHMS. WE RECOMMEND ONLY FOR USE ON A REGULATED MOD, MECHANICAL MODS ALSO WORK BUT CAN BE DANGEROUS IF DONE INCORRECTLY!

• Like 1

@StockQuahog Personally I'd have no battery concerns. 

Your build and settings are working fine for you. Nothing wrong at all, if you like that vape and flavor. BUT if your build goes wonky you'll be vaping at 155 watts.
If you were to put Preheat to 155w, Punch to 11, and set regular power to 50 ....... you'd achieve the same thing, while having some safety if it drops out of TC. By blasting your way to any temp you could be missing out on nuances in your ejuice, which could be a good or bad thing. 

Higher resistance SS builds are easier for chips to control in general. Your .124 raises up to ~.15 ......... a .4 would raise to ~.48

Only old-timers will appreciate that Karloz bump, where your mod has overshot the temp set before settling.

As Wayneo says, you'll taste your juice better if you reduce the final ramp up speed.

Your device monitor shows you need about 40 watts to maintain temperature for your draw, so maybe set power around 50 - 60 watts (experiment with it) and preheat to 155, then mess around with the punch value.  If you set power and/or punch too low you'll probably notice a little spitback (as you'll be drawing while the juice is just starting to boil but not full got going yet), too high and you'll miss out on some flavour.

Edited by Chris Musampa

"triple core fused clapton SS316L wire on a dual coiler..."

No wonder that the next mod will probably be a half-kilo-watt monster.

This bigger, more power, longer dick shit really makes me sad... Once I thought the human race was intelligent.

But it seems they are overrated and to easy to manipulate...

And there will be no app for that problem 😉

7 hours ago, StockQuahog said:

Hey Guy Fawles can you pls just hack my escribe and fix my settings? or at least tell me what iphone app I need?

Set your profile to SS316L, temp could stay like it is, and power to about 40-50 watts.

Activate Replay

Set preheat to 80 or 100 W, for 1 second should be enough. Adjust after trying if needed

The default punch and warmth is 4, adjust after trying if needed (punch for throat-hit, warmth for warmer or colder vape)

Try it 😉

Adjust the power setting only when it spits ... otherwise adjust the preheat

Enjoy !

come back here and report if its ok... or if its not 😉

• 2 weeks later...

@TorturedZen That was really just to replicate blasting to that temp. This part was also important. 

On 3/16/2019 at 9:41 AM, Wayneo said:

By blasting your way to any temp you could be missing out on nuances in your ejuice, which could be a good or bad thing. 

Right now it's taking me over a second to reach my set temp as I like the flavor changes as it ramps up. Enjoy your mod.

Ok, well it seemed to work for what my settings were. I have dual fused  SS Claptons at 0.09 on a Wotofo Flux. 

Drone set to 65w and 430F,  preheat set to 100w , target temp 300F and Punch set to 5.  It was  ramping up quite slowly but after seeing your post it occurred to me that maybe my preheat settings were too low.  

Edit to ask: Is there some general rule of thumb for preheat setting based on the other parameters?

Edited by TorturedZen

All depends on your juice IMHO, and how you like to vape. I usually go through 1 tank of a new juice in watts, then adjust for TC. That shows me the watts I'm happy at, the I'll set my preheat watts maybe 25% higher, and my regular power at slightly higher watts I know I already like. I can only remember ever being blown out of TC once, an that was because a coil leg had become loose. There is no one way, or right way. If you're happy, it's all good ... for you.

general rule of thumb: Higher mass coils require more power to initially heat than lower mass coils. 

• Like 1