New to modding need help. Links etc

milk_milk

Alpine Tech, of FleaBay, has nice enclosures with buttons, board sleds and battery holders.  Stealth Vape has good 510 connectors.  A 3S and a 4S are different plugs, the 3S has four pins, the 4S has five pins, so I don't think you could use a 4S cable to charge a 3S battery, the keyways won't allow it.   That's why they're different, to prevent mistakes with, potentially, explosive batteries while charging them.

2 hours ago, milk_milk said:

If I buy a jst-xh 4s charger cable can I charge 3s batteries with it?

Nope......  this board will let you charge 2 to 6 cell batteries instead of needing separate cables for each number of cells...

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/multi-adapter-all-in-one-balance-board-tp-hp-xh-eh.html?___store=en_us

It's a very handy balance board for the money if you can find a cable to plug it up to your charger. Really irritating that they don't include one

• Like 1

On 6/17/2018 at 5:18 PM, milk_milk said:

Hi I’m new to modding. I was looking for some help building a DNA250c mod but I have no idea where to start please post some guide or material. I can’t find any good forums or links and I’ve been looking for a beginners guide.

If you look through the modding forums, they have a thread that had all the links you need

11 hours ago, awsum140 said:

Alpine Tech, of FleaBay, has nice enclosures with buttons, board sleds and battery holders.  Stealth Vape has good 510 connectors.  A 3S and a 4S are different plugs, the 3S has four pins, the 4S has five pins, so I don't think you could use a 4S cable to charge a 3S battery, the keyways won't allow it.   That's why they're different, to prevent mistakes with, potentially, explosive batteries while charging them.

11 hours ago, retird said:

Nope......  this board will let you charge 2 to 6 cell batteries instead of needing separate cables for each number of cells...

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/multi-adapter-all-in-one-balance-board-tp-hp-xh-eh.html?___store=en_us

It's a very handy balance board for the money if you can find a cable to plug it up to your charger. Really irritating that they don't include one

Thanks for the info do you know which jst-xh I need they seems to have different connectors on the other end or do I just buy anyone and strip the other end?

1 hour ago, Pphish said:

If you look through the modding forums, they have a thread that had all the links you need

Thanks will look there. Which subforum specifically?

Edited by milk_milk

2 hours ago, milk_milk said:

Which one do I need? Sorry if it’s obvious I don’t have any of the parts so I can’t tell

Depends on what you want. The 250C comes packaged with a JST-XH, 5-pin. Works perfect for 4s LiPos, if that's what you plan to use.

15 minutes ago, Ak89 said:

Depends on what you want. The 250C comes packaged with a JST-XH, 5-pin. Works perfect for 4s LiPos, if that's what you plan to use.

Ah sorry should have specified so I need male or female on the charger. Can’t tell what the batteries use from pictures

On 6/20/2018 at 9:05 PM, Ak89 said:

Batteries have male. Chargers, female (The connector with pins)

Do you not plan to use the DNA onboard charger?

I do but I also want to use a external charger in case i forget to charge it overnight and have a spare battery. Is there a way to wire a 3s battery to use a 4s JST-XH charger

I guess this an example of conflicting terminology....

I usually refer to the board mounted connection as a "header" and the one with wires as "housing" or "plug". However, I tried to answer the OP's question with his own terminology. The male/female thing can get confusing, since many people and shops use the terms interchangeably.

Here is the official datasheet:

http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/pdf/jpn/XH.pdf

Note: Male/female is not used by the manufacturer.

Milk milk:

You should not need any adapters, or rewiring of the battery. If the charger is not 3s compatible, I recommend finding a different one.

However, most that can charge 4s will also charge 3s. Again without any adapters. It just depends on how the specific model is designed.

Some have separate plugs while others share. Some pins on the charger end up connecting to nothing... Read up on the model and it should have the required information.