Paranormal DNA250C Flash Memory

Ray

Hey guys. 

I have the Paranormal DNA250C and I've noticed that when I recharge the batteries (externally of course) the time resets. Shouldn't this be stored in the internal memory? 

I have not got round to using the replay function yet as I don't have suitable wire just now, but I'm thinking this would also mean my replay settings would reset. 

Is this a problem with my mod or can I fix it in escribe? 

Has anyone else noticed this? 

Am I missing something maybe? 

Thanks 

If you change batteries quickly I think the time will stay, at least that is my understanding , as a capacitor on the board stores energy for only a short time.....  There is no board mounted auxilliry battery...... The DNA 250C has a built in 2 amp battery charging system which works quite well...... I've not externally charged a battery in over 7 years.....

So would this internal flash memory only store the last clock time recorded before the batteries were removed?  How would the clock timer continue with no power from the flash memory?  I'm only asking as I am not familiar with what all flash memory is capable of doing.

• Like 2

Hey I guess you're right about that. I was thinking about the replay settings. 

Like I said I haven't used the replay yet as I don't have tc wire, and you wouldn't know if you have never removed the cells. 

I searched around the internet and on here, it seems strange this issue has not come up before.  

I don't really need it to tell me the time, I just want to know why it does not remember. And of course if it forgets my favourite replay setting then it would be a real oversight if that's in the design.  

Yep, I would think that since Replay remembers your choice of puffs it would be stored in the memory and not effected by taking out the battery but I've not personally tried this.... Others who remove the batteries may know and post here..... I do know when I do a Soft or Hard Reboot of the device  Replay is not effected.......

Not flash memory, but a capacitor.

Other mods with time display use this and it works.

I just used my yardwork Cylon after 2-3 weeks and while the time was off by 2 minutes, it still was there.

I change batteries once daily. I don't rush through it, but I'm not going for speed either. My Paranormal 250c has not lost the time/date during battery changes.

If I take the cells out then put them right back in, the device shows the time. If I take them out to recharge, usually 1 Amp charge so about 2 or 3 hours maybe, the device needs reprogrammed. 

8 hours ago, Ray said:

If I take the cells out then put them right back in, the device shows the time. If I take them out to recharge, usually 1 Amp charge so about 2 or 3 hours maybe, the device needs reprogrammed. 

I don't know. I have multiple sets of batteries, so the mod is never without power for more than a minute or so.

I appreciate your reply but it's not much use for me :P

At the moment I have 2 dual cell mods and 2 dual cell squankers. I have 5 sets of 2 18650 cells. I don't really like mixing the cells between mods but I might now and then. 

Try taking the cells out overnight and see what happens. The worst that can happen is you have to change your time and date and set up your replay again. 

For the flash to continue tracking time it would need a battery. Im just talking from a computer perspective (think CMOS battery), so an Evolv expert please do tell.

I never noticed this on my therion, but I never take the batteries  out and my theme doesn't show the clock.
If the clock is dependent on battery, Evolv should have skipped this unless they made it a lipo only feature.

2 hours ago, Ray said:

I appreciate your reply but it's not much use for me :P

At the moment I have 2 dual cell mods and 2 dual cell squankers. I have 5 sets of 2 18650 cells. I don't really like mixing the cells between mods but I might now and then. 

Try taking the cells out overnight and see what happens. The worst that can happen is you have to change your time and date and set up your replay again. 

No thanks. I don't show the clock on my mod and just wanted to let you know that it would be a capacitor not flash memory that is needed to make a clock that keeps time during battery removal. Larger capacitor, longer it can go without battery.
To be fair, many people never remove the batteries, using USB for charging either LiPo or 18650s.

If an accurate clock on your mod is important to you you'll have to put the spare set of batteries in service while another is being charged. Or USB charge the mod. With a fast charger brick you should be able to get 2A charging into a 250c I'd think.

Well the Paranormal is a dual 18650 device. I'm not aware of any Lipo mods that use the DNA250C yet, although I'm sure there are some. 

The clock is not really important to me, in fact I only really see it when I install new batteries. As I said I don't know if it will store the replay memory when I am charging the cells. 

The zippy new function of the DNA250C chip is that it has a memory, so I'm wondering why it forgets the time while I am charging the batteries externally as is recommended in the operating manual and by people who know about batteries. If it forgets the time then I don't expect it will retain my replay settings. 

This problem could be because, as you say, the capacitor inside the chip is not powerful enough to hold a sufficient charge to retain the memory data. 

Or I could have a problem with my capacitor, or I may have a faulty device. If someone removed the cells from their paranormal for a while then I would know, I suppose, right? 

If the capacitor is not powerful enough to hold the charge which can retain memory for a few hours when the cells are removed, why not? I've not had this issue with a mod using a SX 550J chip. 

41 minutes ago, Ray said:

If someone removed the cells from their paranormal for a while then I would know, I suppose, right? 

Ok, I'll bite.
I'm off to bed and I'm removing the batteries from my mod.

We'll know in 5-6 hours.

From this Manual:  

9. CHARGING AND USB ON-THE-GO

Internal Charging: The DNA 250C has a built in 2A USB charger. It automatically detects the type of USB power supply it is connected to, so it can be plugged into standard PC USB ports or higher power chargers. The max charge current is based on the cell capacity as programmed in EScribe.

External charging (Recommended):

Remove batteries from device. Follow charging instructions with using charger.

Paranormal-DNA-250C-User-manual-0117.pdf

Thanks very much for doing that for me guys. 

Now I know that it happens with you, I'm not worried mine might be faulty in some way. 

It seems a bit of an oversight that the time and date always resets but it will not impact my vaping much so it's ok :P  

Thanks again. 

I've changed the batts in mine at least once a day since I received it. Only set the date and time once at the start.

I replace a fresh set every time, so it doesn't sit for any length of time without batts.