Won't turn on from deep sleep

Hi Guys and gals,

I'm new to a DNA board so I was hoping you could help me out. My Lost Vape Paranormal 250C has been working great in all respects since i've had it for the past 9 days, in the last 4 or so days after I put a theme on(Timmy TimBit's Material Dark or something) my device would take unusually long to wake up from sleep with multiple clicks to wake up sometimes, and maybe 5 seconds later springing to life. 

Last night before bed I had put in some fresh batteries and then this morning when I tried to turn it on it just refused, it would not, I then plugged it in to a USB port and connected it to the device with the other end of the USB cable and it turned on and it has been working fine ever since.

What could the issue be? I read it may be the battery sled problem, however I made no adjustments to the door before I plugged it in so I doubt its that. Could it be the chip? I don't want to think its the chip because everything works well apart from the waking from sleep after about 3-4 hours and the sleep time is set to something like 5 minutes.

Kind regards,

Conrad

Hey again,

I did a hard reboot, reapplied the service pack, and I’m not sure of the exact term in escribe but reset the device to manufacturer settings where it looks for the mod online and reapplied the default settings. I then did another hard reboot then a soft reboot and have not set the idle/sleep time and left it at the default 60m. 

So far I am unable to replicate the initial issue, I don’t even have the delay from wake as the display lights up instantly.

I will update if it happens again or does not to conclude if it might have been the theme some how causing the problem.

Kind regards,

Conrad

Update:

So I repeated the same thing I did the night before it didn't turn on. I took out the batteries and put a fresh pair in, it turned on after pressing the fire button and worked for my good night vape. 
I left it over night and it went into standby/sleep after an hour. This morning when I woke up I turned it on with no problem, very responsive compared to 5 days ago, the only thing that was a bit troublesome was that the time was now ahead by 2 hours and the date was set to 1/1/00. I'm not sure what the problem could be or if there is even a problem.

Kind regards,

Conrad

Hi it’s update time, 

Last night I took out my batteries and left my device unpowered for about 5 minutes before I put in new batteries and it simply would not turn on. I then plugged the USB into my computer and then into the device and it turned on. I repeated this process again and it happened again. I carried on using the device and charged the batteries full within the device and took them out and I think I found what the problem was.

Each time my device has been without power and I turn it on and it refuses, my Mad Dog RDA has been on the device. I left the device off over night with the batteries out and no RDA or Tank on it when I turned it on this morning with a fresh set of batteries inside. It turned on instantly.

Im not sure why it does this with the Mad Dog RDA because it doesn’t happen with the Vandy Vape Pulse 24 or Wotofo Bravo.

I will do more testing and update.

• Thanks 1

Hey guys it’s update time,

I swapped to a new fully charged set of batteries a few hours ago. Everything was working fine, put on my Mad Dog RDA an had a drip session. Took it off and turned the device off and put my other tank on and pocketed it.

A couple hours later when I wanted to vape it wouldn’t turn on, I had to  use a USB plugged in to laptop to get it to turn on. Vaped with the Wotofo Bravo and pocketed it. Decided to pull the batteries and put them in again and see if it turns on. It did. Maybe an hour later it took a bit longer than usual to turn on but works fine. 

Im not sure if it’s the chip or the RDA but we will find out eventually if it does. 

Will keep testing and updating.

• Like 1

Hi Chunkybutt200!

Thank you for your response and input!

I don’t think it’s the battery connection, fire button or chip, as everything works as it should when it is booted up. 

Last night I noticed when I changed to my oldest pair of batteries, it would not boot as soon as the batteries were in and took about 2 - 3 minutes before it turned on and it had retained the time.

I have been using my older mods batteries and they are about 6 months old and some older. I’m planning on getting a fresh set and will report if the problem persists. If it still carries on I will send it back to the vendor for replacement as something is faulty on the device.

I really just hope it’s that the batteries have reached their life time and that’s the problem.

Kind regards,

Conrad

5 hours ago, conradisrugged said:

Hi Chunkybutt200!

Thank you for your response and input!

I don’t think it’s the battery connection, fire button or chip, as everything works as it should when it is booted up. 

Last night I noticed when I changed to my oldest pair of batteries, it would not boot as soon as the batteries were in and took about 2 - 3 minutes before it turned on and it had retained the time.

I have been using my older mods batteries and they are about 6 months old and some older. I’m planning on getting a fresh set and will report if the problem persists. If it still carries on I will send it back to the vendor for replacement as something is faulty on the device.

I really just hope it’s that the batteries have reached their life time and that’s the problem.

Kind regards,

Conrad

This happens to me also sometimes and my batteries are brand new ijoy 20700.  Using them in the boxer Dna250c squonk.  I’ve heard of others having this same issue as well

I have this problem every time mine goes into sleep, the problem with mine is not the tank or batters , it's with the micro usb port, I went to the gym yesterday and when I come out it would not turn on so I folded up a small bit of paper and gave it a little wiggle in the micro usb port and it turned on and when it happened again today I was able to wiggle the bit in the middle of the micro usb with my finger nail and it come on, so for me the problem seems to be with the little bit in the middle of the micro usb port.

I have tried soft reset and hard reset  different theams and will the problem is there

Edited by Tazrok
Spellings

I never did that or any resets...  I’m waiting to see what the actual issue is before I get all crazy trying different things.  It doesn’t happen all the time and it never NOT turned back on.... sometimes (it turns on fast more frequently then It doesn’t) it just takes 15ish seconds to turn on

1 minute ago, Tazrok said:

Yep from deep sleep, when it first happened I did what everyone else did and plug a charger in but when it happened out side the gym I didn't have a charger so a folded bit of paper did the trick

Ok so maybe we’re having a different issue but the same visual symptoms to an extent.  When this happens to me it’s just a delayed wake up time (15ish seconds give or take) but it always turns back on.  Your saying that yours doesn’t turn on until you mess with the usb.  

I got brand new batteries and charged them to full, left the device without batteries in over night. I put batteries in this morning and it turned on right away. For the rest of the morning and today I have been having issues with the boot and display taking quite some time to start up. 

The chip may be faulty, that could be the case, but it’s weird how mine still retains the time and has never not turned on and everything function wise works as it should. It’s just booting up after extended time that seems to be a problem.

Yeap... and for me it really doesn’t happen often... probably only 6-7 times.  I’m not sure exactly how long I have my device (boxer squonk) but it has about 5k puffs on it.  So yeah, it’s not a common occurrence for me at all and my boxer squonk is my daily driver since I got it.  

It would be really nice to know what the actual problem is though.  I’m not looking forward to the chip doing this on a more regular cake.  So far this is really the only issue I have with it.  Sometimes it’ll reset the date and time for no reason but that’s about it

I have a similar problem with my Paranormal DNA 250C. After it went to sleep for a while it would not switch on the screen when a button is pressed. I pressed then some *wild* button combinations (because I thought the device went in some blocked mode) until the screen came back on and i could unlock the device with the normal 5x button press.  Happend sofar 3-4 times and I got the device now for a week.

I will try to find out if its just a time delay after the first button press or try some slight wiggling in the usb port to see if this helps...

I would be interestred to know if this is a firmware issue (i have still the original one) or a hardware issue (then i would send back my device for replacement)

Thanks...

2 minutes ago, bender said:

I have a similar problem with my Paranormal DNA 250C. After it went to sleep for a while it would not switch on the screen when a button is pressed. I pressed then some *wild* button combinations (because I thought the device went in some blocked mode) until the screen came back on and i could unlock the device with the normal 5x button press.  Happend sofar 3-4 times and I got the device now for a week.

I will try to find out if its just a time delay after the first button press or try some slight wiggling in the usb port to see if this helps...

I would be interestred to know if this is a firmware issue (i have still the original one) or a hardware issue (then i would send back my device for replacement)

Thanks...

I’m assuming it has to do with the chip since it’s happening to multiple different devices....  it could possibly be fixed in a future firmware release... 

this is just an assumption, I don’t have  any  insight from Evolv 

Edited by NMEones

A few things to look at:

The real-time clock runs off the battery, not the main regulator.  That always stays on, unless you remove the batteries and leave it long enough for the storage capacitor for the clock to drain (5 minutes-ish)

There are three turn-on sources for the main regulator. One is the processor (which is how it stays on) one is the fire button (how it turns on normally if it is off) and one is the USB. So USB should always wake it.

The fire button turn-on is capacitively coupled (as it is on some other DNAs) so that if your button gets stuck down in some luggage or otherwise it don't force it to stay on and drain the battery. But that means that the processor has to wake up and take over the job of keeping it on fairly promptly, or it'll turn back off. 

Likely there's something going on in the firmware that occasionally delays the boot long enough to miss the turn-on pulse. The board does a number of self-checks at power-on, and one may be taking too long depending on the state of whatever it is checking. 

If you run into this, can you post up your manufacture date for the board, your serial number, your firmware revision, your number of cells and the approximate state of charge of your batteries?  I'm reasonably certain I can get to the bottom of it with sufficient information. 

Thanks!

John

Hey guys,

Over the weekend I updated to Service Pack 33.2 because it was pushed by Escribe.

No real difference with the boot delay except that it seemed to be happening less frequently than it did before the Service Pack. Something else that I noticed is that on occasion when it boots for a split second, maybe even a nano second, as soon as the screen turns on half the screen will be covered in snow/static that you would see on old CRT TV sets. Its only happened about 3 times since this issue started.

Another point i'd like to make is that still, to this day since the problem started, the device would never not boot up, sometimes it takes longer than usual but it has never not booted and when it is on it works exactly as it should, no bugs or issues.

Regards,

Conrad

6 hours ago, conradisrugged said:

Hey guys,

Over the weekend I updated to Service Pack 33.2 because it was pushed by Escribe.

No real difference with the boot delay except that it seemed to be happening less frequently than it did before the Service Pack. Something else that I noticed is that on occasion when it boots for a split second, maybe even a nano second, as soon as the screen turns on half the screen will be covered in snow/static that you would see on old CRT TV sets. Its only happened about 3 times since this issue started.

Another point i'd like to make is that still, to this day since the problem started, the device would never not boot up, sometimes it takes longer than usual but it has never not booted and when it is on it works exactly as it should, no bugs or issues.

Regards,

Conrad

Yeah im in the same boat as you.  It always turns on just sometimes takes longer then normal.  It hasn’t happened to me in a couple of days, I can still count on my fingers the amount of times it happened...

hmmm that screen fuzz issue with the new service pack is weird... I didn’t update yet... keep us updated on anything else fishy that happens ;)