DNA 75 Single Battery Mod Battery Settings

skineedog

I have an Hcigar VT75 which can use an 18650 or a 26650. I've only ever used it with a 26650.

I recently purchased a Volcano Lavabox M which uses a single 18650. I'm using Sony VTC5s. I have run the case analyzer and the battery analyzer.

I'm running dual SS316 fused claptons at about 0.12 ohms.

When running in temp mode, the mod cuts out around 50%. If I insist on trying to fire in temp by pressing the fire button repeatedly, the mod will eventually fire at full power though it will only do this maybe twice. If I switch to wattage mode, the mod will fire at 60 watts no problem. Until the battery gets to about 35-40%. Then the same thing happens. The mod doesn't want to fire. Lower the wattage to around 50 watts and I can get about about 10% lower before the mod refuses to fire at power.

Odd thing is, this didn't start to happen until I ran the analyzers and changed the settings. Watching the device monitor, I see this is due to voltage sag. The voltage provided by the battery is insufficient to reach the wattage setting. So, I set the soft cuttoff to 2 but this hasn't seemed to make a difference. Might have even made the cuttoff happen faster.

If I'm not concerned with prolonging battery life, what is the lowest, yet safest cutoff I can set for this particular battery?

You could try turning the preheat watts down a bit, it would reduce the battery sag.  But I suspect that it is more likley the temp limiting as fused claptons are not the most stable resistance, dual coils need to be well balanced especially with SS316 because of the tiny resistance change with temperature, device monitor should show this if it is the case,

At 100% battery what "Pack" voltage sag do you see in Device Monitor while firing the device?  At 75% battery what "Pack" voltage sag do you see in Device Monitor while firing the device? At 50% and 40% battery what "Pack" voltage sag do you see in Device Monitor while firing the device?  At anytime does it drop below the soft cell cut-off setting?

Well, that explains everything... Guess this Lavabox M isn't the best lil pocket mod for me. But, I still like it. Just gotta carry spare batteries.... Thanks for the input retird.

Hey, on a side note; is it safe to say retird is Retired? I can't help but see returd when I glimpse at the name. Sorry... not trying to be a jerk, just saying. I do appreciate the help. :-)

LOL...... yep I'm Retired...... and the reason for the @retird is because my Specialty Auto License Plate can only have 6 letters....... so my auto tag is also RETIRD

Sounds like a plan carrying extra batteries...... how about a coil build of a different ohm rating requiring less amperage?  just a thought....

Here is a good little ohm's calculator I use....

https://www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslawcalculators.asp

Glad I didn't offend you! Wasn't my intent. I was chatting with the wife about it. When I spelled it to her, first though she had was retard... LOL Damn, we're a tuff bunch huh.....?

Lucky for you though. Hopefully I'll make it to retirement. I quit smoking so, certainly better chance than my father; dead at 53. 2+ pack a day smoker.

As for a different build: I already changed from my normal SS aliens so I could use this mod. Those are way too low for a DNA75 at .05 or .06. I ready enjoy the amount of vapor I get with bigger builds. Not a cloud chaser or anything but, I do enjoy a 'fuller' vape. I use Steam Engine for coils, ohms law, & material profiles. Has served me well these last 2 years.

Thanks again for the help.

The DNA 75 needs to see a minimum of 2.5v volts to even power on and to stay powered on. Go below that voltage and the LDO's that power the components on the board (MCU) drop out. I set my cell soft cutoff value to 2.65v on all my DNA 75's. The 75 is a power board when running at it's max 75w's. i'd recommend some Sony VTC5A's or LG HD2C's. I use both cells and both perform well, with minimal voltage drop at 75w's.

• Like 2